Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
What's confusing about it? Seems pretty straightforward. Even though she might have been overclarifying a bit with the "if you submit a new account application" part since the program is new enough that I doubt anyone would already be applying for that card a 2nd time.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by Yas46377
What's confusing about it? Seems pretty straightforward. Even though she might have been overclarifying a bit with the "if you submit a new account application" part since the program is new enough that I doubt anyone would already be applying for that card a 2nd time.
But doesn't that response appear to conflict with the T&C's which apparently were changed to rule out previous UA card holders?

Here is the added verbiage which seems to contradict the info the previous poster rec'd from Chase:

"This one-time bonus offer is only valid for first-time United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer".
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:42 pm

Hmm I see your point. But couldn't the 2nd sentence mean Previous and existing cardmemembers/accounts in the context of just the Explorer card/program. But maybe the best way to be sure is to reference that specific line of the T&C in an SM to United.

Last edited by Yas46377; Oct 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freezone
if they stick with the 6 month rule
Does. Not. Exist.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:59 pm

beltway -Just be clear are you saying the 6 month rule doesn't exist in the context we were talking about in the context of applying for a new card with Chase every 6 months? I thought it was a bad idea to cancel a card before 6 months especially if you do it with multiple card with the same bank so they think you only sign up for the bonus.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
Kinda confusing answer but does it seem like a "yes" that I would receive the bonus miles for the UA Explorer Card?

Received my reply today:

Subject: Re: Other/Inquiry Not Listed

Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting Chase regarding the new Mileage
Plus Explorer program.

While you would not be eligible for a new account bonus on
another Mileage Plus Signature account, since the Mileage
Plus Explorer is a new program, you would be eligible for
the new account bonus miles if you submit a new account
application.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

Linda Lundelius
E-mail Customer Service Advisor

1-800-436-7927

Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be
serviced by its affiliates.

DO YOU KNOW AT CHASE ONLINE YOU CAN ....
- Gain instant access to view and download your credit
card information.
- See and pay your bill online
- Transfer balances
- Change your address and much more....

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

There is a new United Explorer Credit Card. If I plan to
apply for it and be approved, will I be able to receive
the bonus miles even if I have the UA Mileage Plus
Signature Visa or have HAD the UA Mileage Plus Signature
Visa before?

Thanks,
XXXXX
This is good news, indeed, for all of us with existing MileagePlus Visa Signature Cards.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:15 am

Is the MP Explorer card part of the "Choices" program that the current MP Visa has? This is the ability to redeem miles as a statement credit against UA ticket purchases (at 1c/mile). Originally only card-earned miles were counted, but apparently now all of your UA miles can be used.

I didn't see any mention in the Explorer card terms, but it hasn't been highlighted well even for the existing cards.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Hmm I see your point. But couldn't the 2nd sentence mean Previous and existing cardmemembers/accounts in the context of just the Explorer card/program. But maybe the best way to be sure is to reference that specific line of the T&C in an SM to United.
It could mean that, but it could easily have specifically said "Explorer Card". As written it could mean any Chase United card, hence the source of confusion (although the email posted above certainly lends some clarity).
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by drewguy
Sorry. On point one - the only double dipping that has been precluded is opening one account for CO (post 7/19/11) and one for UA--correct?
For such purpose, double dipping means:

1. You have received a bonus for a CO OP+ after 07/19/11, and/or

2. You have received a bonus previously for having a Chase UA Card prior to 07/19/2011 (regardless it is open or not).

Originally Posted by freezone
Only problem with this is for someone like my wife (or others) that applied for the CO card in mid July but still pre- 7/19, but if they stick with the 6 month rule then can't cancel the card until 6 months have past, which means Jan 2012.
AFAIK, your "6-month" rule does not exist.

The one that I know (that was used to in effect) is you can't get another bonus before 6 months.

Originally Posted by masonp123
But doesn't that response appear to conflict with the T&C's which apparently were changed to rule out previous UA card holders?

Here is the added verbiage which seems to contradict the info the previous poster rec'd from Chase:

"This one-time bonus offer is only valid for first-time United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer".
I said this again - don't trust the agent - read the actual T&Cs.

If you have to argue this in court, which one will be more acceptable?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:24 am

You have a point there, I suppose going by the T&C makes more sense. So I guess I luck out since I have never had a UA card before and I'll cancel my OnePass card in December before it converts! Maybe sooner if the UA 60,000 offer comes out in November for only a limited period!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:48 am

GaryKung

" Previous and existing United Airlines cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer".

The above is what is confusing. Existing UA cardmembers as in UA Mileage Plus or UA Explorer?

If it is ANY UA credit card, then I think alot of us do not qualify for the bonus miles.

BTW, what the heck is AFAIK? I see this quite often on other threads as well
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: Nada :(
AFAIK -> As Far As I Know
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:35 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I did 3 months window for 3 applications last year, all were approved.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:46 pm

where is the link? I could not find here.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Does. Not. Exist.
beltway -Just be clear are you saying the 6 month rule doesn't exist in the context we were talking about in the context of applying for a new card with Chase every 6 months? I thought it was a bad idea to cancel a card before 6 months especially if you do it with multiple card with the same bank so they think you only sign up for the bonus.
If we are talking about the one application per 6 months...

It does not exist for many people. It does exist for some unfortunate souls.

Nobody can tell exactly how and when it would be applied to some but not to others.

Based on observation it seems newbies are having an easier time than old timers in term of this one card every 6 months rule - as Chase tends to be exceedingly generous to new customers - market share acquisition policy I suppose.

If we are talking about Chase would claw back bonus if card being cancelled before having it for 6 months, I believe the CO card does not have this specific clause. In the past the UA cards (almost all of them) did have this clause. I can tell you that I have had 30K UA miles clawed back - 2 months after closing the account which was about 4 months at the time of closure.

Other Chase cards - the Marriott card DEFINITELY has that clause in the T&C. I dont remember IHG card has it or not. Hyatt card the bonus is not from Chase but from Hyatt (free night certs) so that does not apply.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.