Reload this Page >

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yas46377
Chase doesn't typically approve more than 1 card at a time especially not two personal cards.
I don't know if it's "typical" or not, but I applied for two personal Chase cards (the UA Visa and the CO Visa) at the same time this past spring and was approved for both.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by goofy777
Thank you all for the additional info.

When the OP+ rolls over to M+, and a person already has M+ at that time, assume you may be able to combine the credit limit?
This is for sure no - Chase never let people combine accounts at all, AFAIK.

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
G'day all, a bit of a naive post here:
So I have my nice, free Visa CC from my local credit union... Nice thing is 24 days interest free on purchases so I have never paid interest.. but hand in hand is a poor rewards program..

Does anyone know how the interest free period goes on these cards? Is the main cost the $95pa (which, if I had a ~30K annual spend == 30K points, well worth $95)?

Easy to pay into the card (via a checking acct)??

(new-ish to the USA)
1. About 25 days, credit-dependent.

2. You are the one who can say if it is worth for you.

3. Yes.

Originally Posted by Daggett76
My understanding is that you receive the lounge passes at the end of the membership year. So my original plan was to keep it until I get my lounge passes, then cancel and ask for the fee back, or at least for a pro-rated refund.
Now that there's the danger of the card being converted and losing the opportunity for the UA Explorer bonus, I think I'll try to get the UA Explorer card before the year ends.
Or do you think the lounge passes are not worth it? To a 1K/Plat they're probably worthless...
1. You will get the lounge passes before annual fee is billed (at least this is my experience with OP+).

2. Well - it is too early to tell. But my suggestion - get it when you can.

Originally Posted by Unknown
Any possibility the offer in November could be better than the current elite offer? Or should I just take the elite offer while I still have the chance?
I believe it is supposed to be the exact same offer. But again nothing is guaranteed.
Originally Posted by swat16
Yes.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Take the 50,000 miles and run. IMHO of course.
Originally Posted by metoo
+1 IMHO
Take it while you can. I don't see how they can give a better one (except allowing those to get again). Beside it is a doubt now if it can come out (as it has been delayed).

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Thanks muchly... Does anyone grab a card like this, use it for a year and then cancel once you have the miles?
Me

Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
Sorry if I am asking too much, but is it possible for one of the moderators to summarize this thread. Not sure what's the verdict; my apologies as I did not read all the messages in the thread.

I have United Mileage Plus Preferred Visa Sig card. I got 20,000 miles bonus on this 4 years ago, and I still own the card. I want to know if I will be eligible to apply for this new card? Thanks.
You need to read the whole thing as the offer is not out yet. And suddenly people are asking questions for a deal that we don't know (and it kinds of make me as a "Chase" expert ).

My estimate is you should be able to - but don't quote me on that.

Originally Posted by hqly2001
Have a few questions:

1) Has anyone tried applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and this card at the same time? Were they both aprroved? I'm thinking about doing that.

2) Holding a one pass since paril with no other UA or CO cards, I should be eligible for the bonus if I sign up right?

Thx!
1. You can try.

2. Yes.

Last edited by garykung; Oct 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:05 pm

Received the following email back today to confirm bonus miles on UA Explorer card:

Date: 10-11-2011 09:50:55
Subject: Re: Other/Inquiry Not Listed

Dear XXX

If you apply for the United Mileage Plus Explorer card you
would be eligible to receive the enrollment bonus since
this is a new product. You would not be eligible if you
upgraded an existing account.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

XXX XXXX
E-mail Customer Service Representative

1-800-436-7927

Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be
serviced by its affiliates.

DO YOU KNOW AT CHASE ONLINE YOU CAN ....
- Gain instant access to view and download your credit
card information.
- See and pay your bill online
- Transfer balances
- Change your address and much more....

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

I am a bit confused about the reply.
I have NEVER had the UA Mileage Plus Explorer card.
I have had the UA Mileage Plus Signature Visa. I just
downgraded it to the UA Mileage Plus Visa (NO Signature)
with No annual fee.

Will I be able to receive the bonus miles if I open the
United Mileage Plus Explorer card?

Thanks so much.
XXXXX

-----ORIGINAL MESSAGE-----
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Chase regarding the new Mileage
Plus Explorer program.

While you would not be eligible for a new account bonus on
another Mileage Plus Signature account, since the Mileage
Plus Explorer is a new program, you would be eligible for
the new account bonus miles if you submit a new account
application.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

YYY YYYYY
E-mail Customer Service Advisor

1-800-436-7927

Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be
serviced by its affiliates.

DO YOU KNOW AT CHASE ONLINE YOU CAN ....
- Gain instant access to view and download your credit
card information.
- See and pay your bill online
- Transfer balances
- Change your address and much more....

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

There is a new United Explorer Credit Card. If I plan to
apply for it and be approved, will I be able to receive
the bonus miles even if I have the UA Mileage Plus
Signature Visa or have HAD the UA Mileage Plus Signature
Visa before?

Thanks,
XXXXX

From the above clarification, it seems like we all should receive bonus miles as long as we have never had the UA. Explorer Card before.

Last edited by aviators99; Oct 12, 2011 at 4:29 am Reason: Removed employee names
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by metoo
Received the following email back today to confirm bonus miles on UA Explorer card...

...From the above clarification, it seems like we all should receive bonus miles as long as we have never had the UA. Explorer Card before.
The following will answer your question definitely:

...I suppose going by the T&C makes more sense...
It is up to you to trust humans. But I definitely sticking with old-fashioned T&Cs (And especially, I got the bonus credited already).

Let assume Chase gives you nothing, and you end up at the court.

Remember, the agent can make a mistake in identifying you that you are eligible (which Chase can show record that they made a mistake). So apology and move on (or maybe a goodwill credit).

But, if you can show T&Cs to the court and with your bank record to persuade the court that you are eligible, you will get the whole thing no matter what.

So determine your own eligibility, but not Chase.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goofy777
Thank you all for the additional info.

When the OP+ rolls over to M+, and a person already has M+ at that time, assume you may be able to combine the credit limit?
Don't know if it would roll over into M+. However, I have been in the situation where I wanted to close a Chase card with a decent limit and was able have a CSR move most of the limit to another card before I closed the other.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:22 pm

is the 60k mile offer for premiere standard and is always there?
Has anyone seen an offer for less than 50k bonus?

Also, if someone is already a premiere member and get 1 free checked bag, with this card, is he entitled to another one? Or is it just 1 bag based one either status or credit card?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick question, does using the Explorer card keep your UA miles from expiring, even if you don't fly?
Of course, because any method of adding UA miles to your UA account (credit card, UA dining, UA shopping, hotel stays, car rentals, transfers from other point programs, etc, etc) all keep your UA miles from expiring. (And many of them don't have an annual fee, which the Explorer card will after the first year.)

I thus don't the Explorer card makes sense (to keep) if your only concern is keeping miles from expiring. Chase even has a no-annual-fee version of the UA card (that earns half the miles) that's enough to keep UA miles from expiring. You should be able to "downgrade" the Explorer to that after about a year, before you have to pay an annual fee, if avoid UA miles expiration is the main concern.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Of course, because any method of adding UA miles to your UA account (credit card, UA dining, UA shopping, hotel stays, car rentals, transfers from other point programs, etc, etc) all keep your UA miles from expiring. (And many of them don't have an annual fee, which the Explorer card will after the first year.)
I don't think that is true. I credit my Avis rentals to UA MP and that does not update my expiry date. Nor do Star Alliance flights (LH, JP, OS, etc) credited to my MP account. It seems that only UA flights work. However I have never done a transfer from another program, nor done any UA shopping so maybe that works.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:33 pm

I don't think that is true. I credit my Avis rentals to UA MP and that does not update my expiry date. Nor do Star Alliance flights (LH, JP, OS, etc) credited to my MP account. It seems that only UA flights work.
I believe you are mistaken:
Any member who fails at any time to engage in account activity for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of his or her membership and forfeiture of all accrued mileage as of the last day of the 18th month. Activity includes (without limitation) flying on United or earning or redeeming miles with a Mileage Plus partner (as defined in Rule 12), redeeming miles for award travel, buying miles or transferring miles. In cases where mileage is for any reason removed from an account, as for the redemption of awards, and later returned, the return of the mileage to the account shall not count as account activity.
The Mileage Plus Program "partners" are airlines, rental car companies, hotels, or other entities who offer products or services as awards in the Program and who, in some instances, permit the accrual of mileage to members who utilize their products or services.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ok, that may be the rules, but my actual experience is different. I guess I need to call MP or Avis or someone to see why that activity doesn't update my expiry date.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
I have a targeted offer for a 60k bonus through the my United account website.

Details:
Earn up to 60,000 bonus miles*
Earn 50,000 bonus miles after first use. Plus earn 10,000 miles after you spend $25,000 on your Card within a calendar year.
Your first year is free†
Pay no annual fee for the first year you are a Cardmember, a $95 value.
Visit the United ClubSM with two passes every year*
Relax in style before your flight and enjoy complimentary snacks, beverages and Wi-Fi.
Earn double miles on United purchases*
Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased directly from United or Continental and 1 mile per $1 for everything else.
My credit just came in, 50k sign up.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Don't know if it would roll over into M+. However, I have been in the situation where I wanted to close a Chase card with a decent limit and was able have a CSR move most of the limit to another card before I closed the other.
Have you done this recently, and not related to opening another Chase card?

In the past Chase allowed moving CL freely among cards but that flexibility was taken away in past 2 years. Are you saying now Chase once again allows such request?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think that is true. I credit my Avis rentals to UA MP and that does not update my expiry date. Nor do Star Alliance flights (LH, JP, OS, etc) credited to my MP account. It seems that only UA flights work. However I have never done a transfer from another program, nor done any UA shopping so maybe that works.
Something is not working with your MP account.

I was able to renew the account with a e-Shopping though it posted very late but I gave 2 months lead time for that and it worked.

The other very easy way is to transfer miles between your MP and OP accounts - instantly renews your MP account. I did this as an experiment a couple weeks ago.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you done this recently, and not related to opening another Chase card?

In the past Chase allowed moving CL freely among cards but that flexibility was taken away in past 2 years. Are you saying now Chase once again allows such request?
I have done this twice in the last month. I just called today because I was at my limit on a Chase AARP card. Had the transfer several K of Chase SW card to the AARP card so I could still use before my payment goes through.

When I got the AARP card earlier last month, I had them move several K from a Chase Sapphire card when I called in to activate it.

The card is about a month old so I don't know if you would consider this related to opening a new card. I have done that too, where they approved a new card when I reduced cl on an old one.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hqly2001
is the 60k mile offer for premiere standard and is always there?
Has anyone seen an offer for less than 50k bonus?

Also, if someone is already a premiere member and get 1 free checked bag, with this card, is he entitled to another one? Or is it just 1 bag based one either status or credit card?
1. As of this moment, yes. Of course there is always an offer for less than 50K - the standard offer.

2. No - basically, except for E+ access and priority waiting, and possibly CPU, the card has different from 2P or SE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.