Reload this Page >

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Originally Posted by Happy
Could you point us to the source of this information? Thanks.
I don't believe there's a written source at the moment. If you call the Customer Service line, it seems like they've all been trained to tell you this. The info I got was that OP+ will definitely be converted to MP+, but they don't know the exact date. They mentioned that the number of the card would remain the same and it would be a MP+ World Mastercard, instead of the Visa Signature they're offering new customers.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
The subject of the email is "My MileagePlus: Up to 60k bonus miles + a world of benefits" and below it says "As an elite member, you deserve the earning power of the new MileagePlus® Explorer Card. Earn up to 60,000 bonus award miles and other great benefits."

Note that I am UA 1MM and I currently have no credit cards from UA, CO nor Chase. But I will soon as my request was accepted for this offer.
I received an email two days ago for a 40K bonus, but I'm nothing on UA. So the email offer seems status-based.

I was going to cancel my CO card this week because the $85 annual fee was due, but they offered me a $100 credit and said I could cancel anyway at the end of the year, so I took the offer for the time being. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 60K offer mentioned here, or whether I'm endangering my chances of getting it by holding on to the CO card until the end of the year. I no longer have a UA card -- that was canceled some time ago, long enough ago that it's probably not a factor.

Maybe I'll just cancel the CO card anyway, if it seems I might qualify for the 60K offer. A net $15 credit pales next to 20K extra miles.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:47 am

At a time that UA is slashing bonus BIS miles for elites, I find it obnoxious and offensive that they are piling on cc miles. UA can get stuffed.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I received an email two days ago for a 40K bonus, but I'm nothing on UA. So the email offer seems status-based.

I was going to cancel my CO card this week because the $85 annual fee was due, but they offered me a $100 credit and said I could cancel anyway at the end of the year, so I took the offer for the time being. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 60K offer mentioned here, or whether I'm endangering my chances of getting it by holding on to the CO card until the end of the year. I no longer have a UA card -- that was canceled some time ago, long enough ago that it's probably not a factor.

Maybe I'll just cancel the CO card anyway, if it seems I might qualify for the 60K offer. A net $15 credit pales next to 20K extra miles.
What's your spending look like on your CO card? I called twice to cancel and got nothing so I just cancelled. My total charge in the past 12 months were probably under 10K.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lrluis
The 60K offer banner is still on my homepage as a premier, but if I click it, it now brings me to a standard offer. It looks like the deal's dead.
Check here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...orer-card.html

As of this moment, it is still live.

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Please clarify....

Is this refering to UA explorer cards or any UA card such as the older visa signature card and the no annual fee basic UA visa card that earns 1 mile for every 2 dollars spent?
Originally Posted by allanfan
Where do you see all current UA cards will be converted to Explorer at year end?
Only OP+ will be converted (as it is technically the same product as M+ Explorer).

It does not seem to be affected with other M+ products.

Originally Posted by Carolinian
At a time that UA is slashing bonus BIS miles for elites, I find it obnoxious and offensive that they are piling on cc miles. UA can get stuffed.
They are RDM Bonus. Not BIS.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:39 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by garykung

They are RDM Bonus. Not BIS.
The elite bonus miles are in exactly the same category. What is so obnoxious and offensive is that they are slashing elite bonus miles attached to actually flying at the same time they are handing out all these bonus credit card miles. That priority sucks and it is even more reason to jump ship.

For golds and silvers, the UA program next year will be a pale ghost of what we have now at CO. What a welcome for CO flyers who have been milejacked into UA by this merger!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Not to mean OT.

The elite bonus miles are in exactly the same category. What is so obnoxious and offensive is that they are slashing elite bonus miles attached to actually flying at the same time they are handing out all these bonus credit card miles. That priority sucks and it is even more reason to jump ship.
Talk to AA / Citi. They were dumping miles for nothing (Yes - a typical person can get about 225K easily, and they are considered as BIS for MM).

For golds and silvers, the UA program next year will be a pale ghost of what we have now at CO. What a welcome for CO flyers who have been milejacked into UA by this merger!
Well, let just say it was lined back to the old OP program. So it is a welcome for UA Flyers to the new UA (old CO).
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: UA, AA
I currently have a Chase CO credit card that I opened this past April. Can I still apply for a Chase UA Explorer card and get bonus miles? Or do I have to close my current CO card before I apply for the UA card? Thank you.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Any value to exisating 1P with current UA Chase card?

So far the enhancements are NOT exciting me, particularly the reduction of status bonus miles for 1P from 100% to 50%

So, like most of you I've been besieged with offers of this "Explorer" card

But as best I can tell as someone who earns 1P status every year the access to E+ and free checked baggage is already there.

I've had a hard time finding out if I'd get ANYTHING from this new card but as far as I can tell, nothing. I get triple UA miles for UA purchases, 2x on certain other purchases and I THINK up to 5Ka year in EQMs.
As best as I can tell I would get NOTHING with the Explorer Card, and certainly NO news RDMs, as in zero. The other "perks" (E+, bags) I get anyway through my 1P status, unless UA/CO takes THAT away.

Are there others in similar situation who have tried to determine or ascertain if there is ANY advantage tothis new card ID you are 1P and a current Chase card holder?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:42 pm

To the best of my ability I know my Chase OnePass w/ 50k bonus card has an account opening date of 7-20-2011

At what point do I become eligible to close this card and sign up for this card?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have heard that if you close cards within 6 months of opening they can revoke the sign up points and/or flag you for future cards.

I recently cancelled my Chase Continental card after I had it for 6-12 months. I will probably apply for this one if there is a 60,000 point bonus in November.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by coastda
So far the enhancements are NOT exciting me, particularly the reduction of status bonus miles for 1P from 100% to 50%

But as best I can tell as someone who earns 1P status every year the access to E+ and free checked baggage is already there.

I've had a hard time finding out if I'd get ANYTHING from this new card but as far as I can tell, nothing. I get triple UA miles for UA purchases, 2x on certain other purchases and I THINK up to 5Ka year in EQMs.
As best as I can tell I would get NOTHING with the Explorer Card, and certainly NO news RDMs, as in zero. The other "perks" (E+, bags) I get anyway through my 1P status, unless UA/CO takes THAT away.

Are there others in similar situation who have tried to determine or ascertain if there is ANY advantage tothis new card ID you are 1P and a current Chase card holder?
The 'value' is certainly in the 50k + miles for basically no cost, as is the case in all of these offers. Sign up, 'earn' miles, cancel card. Repeat (as often as allowed). Many, many, many miles accrue for minimal cost. THAT is value.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only one who answer all these questions?

I am not even the OP...

Originally Posted by nydad
I currently have a Chase CO credit card that I opened this past April. Can I still apply for a Chase UA Explorer card and get bonus miles? Or do I have to close my current CO card before I apply for the UA card? Thank you.
You should be fine without closing (unless you want to close it).

I assume you are credit-worthy for approval.

Originally Posted by coastda

The one-time bonus is the only motivation (only if they are still willing to offer to existing and previous cardholders).

Originally Posted by factory81
To the best of my ability I know my Chase OnePass w/ 50k bonus card has an account opening date of 7-20-2011

At what point do I become eligible to close this card and sign up for this card?
In theory, the cut-off date (07/19/20110) is for the application. So you should be fine.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I have heard that if you close cards within 6 months of opening they can revoke the sign up points and/or flag you for future cards.

I recently cancelled my Chase Continental card after I had it for 6-12 months. I will probably apply for this one if there is a 60,000 point bonus in November.
The actual bonus (for now) is 50K (It was named 60K because of that stupid 10K bonus with $25K spending).

Originally Posted by masonp123
The 'value' is certainly in the 50k + miles for basically no cost, as is the case in all of these offers. Sign up, 'earn' miles, cancel card. Repeat (as often as allowed). Many, many, many miles accrue for minimal cost. THAT is value.
Chase stopped letting people do that for a long time. I don't see what they will reinstate that.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by garykung
You should be fine without closing (unless you want to close it). I assume you are credit-worthy for approval.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
2nd Chase rep '

Edit: Title should read "2nd Chase rep appears to refute T&C's"

As posted previously, it appears Chase reps are unfamiliar with the T&C's or they are ignoring them. I am going to apply and see what happens, along with saving this message. We'll see if I'm even approved, having been a UA MP cardholder in the previous 6 months or so.

I asked Chase via SecureMessage:

Question: I ve been considering reactivating my United
Chase card, and just recently received an email from
United offering a nice bonus miles for signing up for the
Explorer card. Can you confirm I would be eligible for
the mile bonus?

Many thanks!
xxxxxx

I received this:

Date: 10-18-2011 08:22:40
Subject: Re: Product Information Request

Dear Masonp123,

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you today.

If you apply for the new MileagePlus Explorer card and are
approved, you will be eligible for the enrollment bonus
associated with that offer.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

Sxxxxxx Rxxxxxxxx
E-mail Customer Service Representative

1-800-436-7927

Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be
serviced by its affiliates.

Last edited by masonp123; Oct 18, 2011 at 6:41 am Reason: Title should read "2nd Chase rep refutes T&C's"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.