Improved UA Explorer card offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sprogis
My MP account shows only an offer for 40K. Does this mean I am not eligible for this 50K offer that everyone is taking an advantage of?
Who knows what the criteria is. Until recently you had to be a United elite, but now non-elites are getting the better offer. I still only have the 40k offer (25k first use). I am hoping I will get the better offer in the mail/email.

What's weird is I got the 50k Continental email offer, although I had a CO card this year that was cancelled recently.

I've never had a United-branded card though.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:46 pm

I received a targeted mail offer for MP Explorer... non-elite / never flew United in my life ever...

I did created a MP # to transfer miles between CO and United

Last edited by superking; Dec 7, 2011 at 9:05 am Reason: none
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by superking
I received a targeted mail offer for MO Explorer... non-elite / never flew United in my life ever...

I did created a MP # to transfer miles between CO and United
Yes same here I made a MP account since they will combine with CO anyway. But don't see any offers for 50K + 10K after 25K spend. Only see a 40K offer.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by World-Wide
Yes same here I made a MP account since they will combine with CO anyway. But don't see any offers for 50K + 10K after 25K spend. Only see a 40K offer.
I received targeted email for 50k+10k miles
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
My status match request just went through to become a UA 2P. When I log in to .bomb, I immediately had the 50k + 10k offer. I think the extra 20k miles are worth the status match, even if I don't meet the 90 day requirement of 10,000 flown miles to maintain status.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
Hello everyone - I am new to the site and mile collecting. I just registered for an account to post a question here, so please bear with me

I signed up for the Continental OnePass card via a targeted offer in August and received 50k Continental points for a single purchase (bought a coffee hehe). I was planning on cancelling the card next summer to avoid the annual fee but I’m considering cancelling the card this month after reading the card will be converted to the United Explorer card in Q1 2012.

If I call and cancel the card (or better yet transfer the credit line to my other Chase cards) will Chase blacklist me for cancelling a credit card within 4 months? I want to sign up for the United Card in during 2012 and get those sign on bonuses.

Also, does the calendar year when I cancel have any impact? In other words, if I cancel the Continental before 1/1/2012, will that make me anymore eligible for getting the bonus on the United card in 2012? How much time should pass between Chase card applications to get approval?

My app-o-rama in 2011:

AA Visa & Amex - 150k points total - June 2011
AA business - 50K points - Nov 2011
Continental OnePass - 50k points - Aug 2011
Chase Slate - no points but 0% + no fee balance transfer (which I needed to do; was initially declined for having my recent app on the Continental card, but was approved when speaking with a reconsideration agent and transferring some of the credit line from my Continental card)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MissMiles
I signed up for the Continental OnePass card via a targeted offer in August and received 50k Continental points for a single purchase (bought a coffee hehe). I was planning on cancelling the card next summer to avoid the annual fee but I’m considering cancelling the card this month after reading the card will be converted to the United Explorer card in Q1 2012.

If I call and cancel the card (or better yet transfer the credit line to my other Chase cards) will Chase blacklist me for cancelling a credit card within 4 months? I want to sign up for the United Card in during 2012 and get those sign on bonuses.
Chase has stated publicly that from a certain date forward (July 17 of this year, IIRC), they are treating the OnePass and United Explorer cards as equivalent for bonus purposes. In other words, any sign-ups after the magic date for either card preclude getting the bonus for the other.

As a practical matter, that means you'd need to wait the standard Chase period for same-card churning, generally believed these days to be 2+ years.

Also, welcome to FT!
MissMiles likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:26 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
I always recommend keeping your cards open until the annual fee is due (1 yr).
I generally call at around 10 months. Usually they will always throw some miles or points your way to agree to keep the card open or think about it. Take the miles/points offer and wait until they post to your account. Then call back and truly cancel. In this case with the Continental card they will not be trying to convenience you to keep it. I don't know any other benefit to keeping it open besides the fact that it looks really bad if you open and close the account in less than 6 months, preferably longer. More than likely they will try to get you to switch over to the United Explorer card and not give you the full sign up bonus.....so don't go for that.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MissMiles
Welcome to FT.

Chase can in fact blacklist anyone as they want to. But just to be safe - since it will not harm you to hold the card (as you will get your lounge passes later anyway), keep until the time that Chase charge you for the annual fee.
MissMiles likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by slotownmomma
I always recommend keeping your cards open until the annual fee is due (1 yr).
I generally call at around 10 months. Usually they will always throw some miles or points your way to agree to keep the card open or think about it. Take the miles/points offer and wait until they post to your account. Then call back and truly cancel. In this case with the Continental card they will not be trying to convenience you to keep it. I don't know any other benefit to keeping it open besides the fact that it looks really bad if you open and close the account in less than 6 months, preferably longer. More than likely they will try to get you to switch over to the United Explorer card and not give you the full sign up bonus.....so don't go for that.
I called and attempted my standard "ohh I'm thinking of cancelling," and I belive if I had said "I wish to cancel" she would have cancelled. Zero offers for waiving AF or points. All she said was "don't cancel until your statement and miles from this statement post ($4k this statement) or you'll lose them." She then had some lame talk about conversion to either Sapphire or Freedom cards. I'm gunning to try to change it to an AMTRAK card if they don't budge on the AF next time I call.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by garykung
Chase can in fact blacklist anyone as they want to. But just to be safe - since it will not harm you to hold the card (as you will get your lounge passes later anyway), keep until the time that Chase charge you for the annual fee.
Wait, I have to keep the card for more than 11 months? I got the Explorer card with the 50K miles and first year free, but I really don't need the card and would prefer to cancel it before they charge me for the second year. Is there a problem if I wait til just before a year is up and then cancel?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wait, I have to keep the card for more than 11 months? I got the Explorer card with the 50K miles and first year free, but I really don't need the card and would prefer to cancel it before they charge me for the second year. Is there a problem if I wait til just before a year is up and then cancel?
What is the harm of keeping the card until you are charged for an annual fee anyway (which I am doing that now)?

Beside, who knows what Chase can get you into?

Just play nice and be safe.

My friend was used to be blacklisted for a similar situation.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by garykung
What is the harm of keeping the card until you are charged for an annual fee anyway (which I am doing that now)?
Well the harm would be paying $80 or whatever the charge is. Or are you saying you cancel the card right after the charge and they then refund you the annual charge?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the harm would be paying $80 or whatever the charge is. Or are you saying you cancel the card right after the charge and they then refund you the annual charge?
Yes exactly, as soon as you saw the annual fee is posted, call and cancel it.

Who knows if they will offer a retention offer or not?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:32 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
I would definitely cancel before they charge the annual fee. No guarantees that they will refund or waive it. Pay it safe for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.