Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by masonp123
Edit: Title should read "2nd Chase rep appears to refute T&C's"

As posted previously, it appears Chase reps are unfamiliar with the T&C's or they are ignoring them. I am going to apply and see what happens, along with saving this message. We'll see if I'm even approved, having been a UA MP cardholder in the previous 6 months or so.

I asked Chase via SecureMessage:

Question: I ve been considering reactivating my United
Chase card, and just recently received an email from
United offering a nice bonus miles for signing up for the
Explorer card. Can you confirm I would be eligible for
the mile bonus?

Many thanks!
xxxxxx

I received this:

Date: 10-18-2011 08:22:40
Subject: Re: Product Information Request

Dear Masonp123,

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you today.

If you apply for the new MileagePlus Explorer card and are
approved, you will be eligible for the enrollment bonus
associated with that offer.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

Sxxxxxx Rxxxxxxxx
E-mail Customer Service Representative

1-800-436-7927

Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be
serviced by its affiliates.
I got the 40 K offer which is really only 25k plus 5k for adding user and 10k for some exorbitant spend . Question is , is any card worth a credit pull for only 25k miles? Only reason I might even consider this is I have 39k CO miles just hanging around.

If I added a. Quick 35 k from sapphire points I could get one NYC ATH J RT. is there ever a time when 25 k miles is worth a pull ?

TIA
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I got the 40 K offer which is really only 25k plus 5k for adding user and 10k for some exorbitant spend . Question is , is any card worth a credit pull for only 25k miles? Only reason I might even consider this is I have 39k CO miles just hanging around.

If I added a. Quick 35 k from sapphire points I could get one NYC ATH J RT. is there ever a time when 25 k miles is worth a pull ?
To me this looks like just a 30k offer - 25k signup plus 5k for adding a spouse (assuming you have one handy). Certainly nothing special. In general, I wouldn't go for it unless you had some really compelling reason. There's lots of speculation around that a similar but significantly better offer (50k or maybe 60k, no initial spend required) is coming very soon. That's not a sure thing, but 50k seems to be the new threshold at which most folks take interest.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC

TIA
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
To me this looks like just a 30k offer - 25k signup plus 5k for adding a spouse (assuming you have one handy). Certainly nothing special. In general, I wouldn't go for it unless you had some really compelling reason. There's lots of speculation around that a similar but significantly better offer (50k or maybe 60k, no initial spend required) is coming very soon. That's not a sure thing, but 50k seems to be the new threshold at which most folks take interest.
As of this moment, only M+ elite members are eligible for the 60K offer.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by garykung
As of this moment, only M+ elite members are eligible for the 60K offer.
At what level, any 2Ps been offered this?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Have applied for the 60k offer, having closed my UA MP Chase card in late May. I currently have 3 other Chase cards open - after being refused the Sapphire offer awhile ago Chase has in my case been a bit more liberal. I've burned through a ton of cards this year, so my FICO is down about 15 points or so but still good. We'll see...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
At what level, any 2Ps been offered this?
Only 1K and 1P are confirmed to receice this offer (as no GS and 2P says anything).

I posted the link so many time. So I will not post it again.

Check this thread to find the link.

UPDATE:2P/1P/1K are confirmed except for GS, per cyclogenesis

Last edited by garykung; Oct 19, 2011 at 11:58 am
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:38 am

Thanks!
Had to log in for it to show 60K... Applied and my MP session timed out so went back and it said 40K... hope it works out I am prem by the MP number...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Thanks. I will make 50K my default threshold and wait till a better offer comes my way
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got my Explorer card and should soon get the 50K bonus. ^

On the minus side it's been years since I canceled my Chase card due to horrific customer service. I hoped it would have improved, but after a couple phone calls to setup web access at chase.com, I am reminded why I like American Express so much. I might not keep this card very long.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by garykung
Chase stopped letting people do that for a long time. I don't see what they will reinstate that.
This year I have received UA MP (40k I think), BA (100k) and Southwest (50k points) Chase cards, and been denied the Sapphire only (along with another 6 or so cards from other offerers). And if the Explorer card comes through with the 50k miles as the CSR indicated (I'm giving myself 50:50 odds, but I'll know soon enough) that will be a new UA Chase card within 6 months of cancelling the previous one. Perhaps they're 'loosening up' slightly?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:26 pm

On frugaltravelguy.com today:

United/Chase have again postponed their 3 day 60,000 miles credit card promo. The new projected date is now in the first quarter of 2012.
(link)
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by drbobguy
United/Chase have again postponed their 3 day 60,000 miles credit card promo. The new projected date is now in the first quarter of 2012.
(link)
Just saw that over on FTG.

This makes me glad that Mrs. nwflyboy applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card (and got instant approval) a few days ago. We will be focusing our spending on that one for the next few months.

My last application (also the Chase Sapphire Preferred card) was in August (just finished the 3K minimum spend), so I'm hoping we can both hit the special Chase United 60k offer (assuming it does materialize) when it finally pops up in Q1 2012.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(link)
My suggestion to this:

If you are M+ Elite, see if you are qualified for the existing 60K promotion and take it.

For the rest, you are definitely SOL.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: CO Plat
Took the elite 60k offer and ran. Instant approval online and card came in a couple days. Will let you know when the miles post.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:35 am

(link)
Is this a different one? I see the ad at the bottom of my MP account page when I am logged in saying 60K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.