Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
No, on Plat card it is 3 additional's for $175 total.
So, if I understand you correctly, 1, 2, or 3 additional Platinum Cards all cost the same, $175? If so, why does AMEX not charge more for multiple additional cards?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: All of em...
In regards to providing a SSN or not - she said I didn't have to provide it but that they would call me later asking for it if I didn't provide it now. I had all 5 SSN's on hand so I said I would provide them.
4 of the 5 friends I provided are in a "pending" status, as only 1 of 5 was "approved".

Did anybody else have a problem getting some of the AU's "approved"?

Starting to think I should have avoided the SSN's, made the purchase, get the points, and provide the SSN's later!
Oh well. Hopefully a pretty painless 50,000 MR points.

My Business Gold card will be here soon too, and I will go through the same process for another 50k!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:01 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I spent 14 minutes total on the phone.

MR agent "did some research" and discovered that this "highly targeted" promo was not on my account but they would honor it anyway, I just have to call back after I make the purchases to get the bonus points added. He transferred me to card services, I got the new cards added with no SSN needed.

BOOM, <3 AMEX4LIFE
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by udaykiran82
called up just now asked for name,dob and ssn also..so disconnected and will try call again later with if someone will do it with no ssn as i don't want hard hits on credit scores.
Just had a csr refuse my 5th on biz because of no ssn. I know from past experience AmEx does check and verify ssn's so I've been a little sceptical about the no-ssn stuff all day. If you don't give one I'd expect a call in the future asking for it before card is issued. That was my experience with the SPG card.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Finally got 5 gold AUs for 50K miles. Took me 3 tries calling the MR line and finally got someone who took time to really help me out. Didn't get transferred to another rep. She helped me all the way through. Asked for name and DOB of the people I was adding. She did ask for SS but I said I didn't have them. She still got the apps approved.

I wonder if I could still open 3 PL AUs for $175/yr. Would it be worth the $175?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by udaykiran82
called up just now asked for name,dob and ssn also..so disconnected and will try call again later with if someone will do it with no ssn as i don't want hard hits on credit scores.
I have never heard of adding someone as an AU causing them a hard hit on their credit score.

Regarding how people are getting AU SSNs. This is one of the few advantages to having too many kids.

I am going to try this on my Gold Card. Wife has Personal and Business Gold Card, so I wonder if we will be able to get this times 3 for 150K points.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
qtpinoy54, For me 30K points is worth much more than $175 but everyone values them differently. Average or me over the past few months I have turned 30K MR points into $1000 or more in value. I don't know what they are worth to you so....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:18 pm

I just spoke with a MR rep regarding those social security numbers.

She said that I could open new AU cards without SS numbers, but I would have to call them within a few days of receipt of the cards to give them the numbers. I probed further and she spoke with a supervisor. The supervisor said that I "would have 30 days after registering the authorized users to provide AmEx with SS numbers. If there were any issues with those, I would have to speak with Customer Service."

Can someone help me make sense of this? I'm the only one in my family who lives in the US, the rest of them don't have SS numbers. Does this mean I shouldn't push this further with AmEx? I mean, it sounds like I could register the AUs without too much hassle and never provide any SS numbers. It would then be up to AmEx to get in touch with me, which I guess they might not... Some banks don't even require SSN's, so I figure I'm not skirting any laws, only AmEx's internal requirements.

Also, that call center sounded really busy. WTG FT
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver
3 AUs added but they still want SS#-or they will not send the cards

called 1800 297 3276 and said I wanted to add 3 AU's to my BizGoldRewards card according to ID 5721. He found the id. Told me the terms. $45 fee each is waived for first year. 10k bonus each card after first spend. 6-8 weeks points will post.

He got name and DOB from me. He said I still need to call back and add SS#. He said cards will not mail out to me without the SS#s.

So what is the thinking here...I see consensus that you are all adding AU's without the SS#s, but are your CSRs mentioning the card will not be shipped? Yes, CSR responses vary. Anyone have a CSR that says, 'we will ship today dont worry about the SS#'? My CSR said they needed it for security purposes.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My CSR did say all 5 were approved and that I would be receiving the cards in 7 days. She said NOTHING else about SSNs after asking if I had them and me telling her no. I very well may get a call later and if so I will give the SSN's but only if absolutely required to to get the points.....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
My card services CSR said the additional cards were approved and would arrive within a week. He asked for SSNs but said they weren't necessary when I said I didn't have them and he didn't mention needing them later.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
I really think there will be a call-back for SSN's somewhere up the line at AmEx. On my SPG AU the call came a month later and since I couldn't provide the SSN, they never shipped the card.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Was quite an ordeal, felt like I just gave birth to credit cards! Wife and I both have AMEX Platinum cards, both accts opened up this year.

call 1 to AMEX MR:
- MR rep "researched" and said I had to apply online. Told her it was not showing online, so she transferred me to customer service.
- CS rep said she was aware of the offer, but it was not showing up. Upon futher probing, she said it was not a valid offer on my acct, meaning I wasn't targeted. She transferred me to MR, but the call got disconnected.

call 2 to MR:
- MR rep is aware of offer, and willing to add an add'l user. Told him I wanted to add 3 add'l users, he said he can only do 1 per day, so he has to transfer me to customer service.
- CS rep adds 3 add'l users to my Platinum acct, needs DOB and SSN for everyone (says it's a soft pull). I add all 3 as Plat cards ($175/yr total for all 3) and all share the Platinum card benefits. He says I need to verify with MR to make sure I get the promo on my acct. Transfers me back to Membership Rewards.
- MR rep verifies that my acct is setup for the bonus, says I'll get 10k MR points in 6-8 weeks after first purchase on each add'l cards.

call 2a to MR:
- my wife speaks to same MR rep, and she adds 3 add'l Gold cards to her Platinum acct ($45/yr total for all 3). She asks for DOB and SSN for our son and daughter, then for my DOB only. My wife asks why she didn't need my SSN, the rep says they don't need it. Apparently she asked for it for the first 2 add'l cards, but then a supervisor told her they don't need it. Rep verifies that my wife's MR acct is noted with the promo, and will get 10k points in 6-8 weeks after first purchase on each add'l card.

YMMV. Good luck!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
qtpinoy54, For me 30K points is worth much more than $175 but everyone values them differently. Average or me over the past few months I have turned 30K MR points into $1000 or more in value. I don't know what they are worth to you so....
So true... I'm very much convinced!

Anyone else opened 5 gold AUs and opened 3 Plat AUs at the same time for a whopping 80K MR points???

Please share as I'd like to open 3 more as Plat AUs.

Thanks again OP! This is great! ^
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by phonehome
She said that I could open new AU cards without SS numbers, but I would have to call them within a few days of receipt of the cards to give them the numbers. I probed further and she spoke with a supervisor. The supervisor said that I "would have 30 days after registering the authorized users to provide AmEx with SS numbers. If there were any issues with those, I would have to speak with Customer Service."

Can someone help me make sense of this? I'm the only one in my family who lives in the US, the rest of them don't have SS numbers.
I was told the same thing - if I didn't provide SSN's now that I would delay the process b/c they would call me later for them. So I provided SSN's.
if you don't have friends w/SSN's for it - find some, and authorize them

Originally Posted by detony
He got name and DOB from me. He said I still need to call back and add SS#. He said cards will not mail out to me without the SS#s.
Straight from MR and other posters - if you don't provide a SSN, AMEX will call you later for it... They have to actually "APPROVE" each user for a card. I added 5 with the ssn's and only 1 of 5 were instantly approved, the rest pending.

Originally Posted by pvn
My card services CSR said the additional cards were approved and would arrive within a week. He asked for SSNs but said they weren't necessary when I said I didn't have them and he didn't mention needing them later.
You'll need them for sure.. whether or not you will for the points - who knows.

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I really think there will be a call-back for SSN's somewhere up the line at AmEx. On my SPG AU the call came a month later and since I couldn't provide the SSN, they never shipped the card.
Yes, there will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.