[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:50 pm

1st post for a long time lurker.

I just got off the phone with Amex, first agent flat out told me no, that it is a targeted offer and wouldn't budge. Tried again and got a bubbly agent who stated that she had lots of calls re. this but since I was not targeted, I would have to talk to CS, she transferred me, but I already knew that they don't have anything to do with MR bonus notations etc. After she confirmed that she can't do anything, I asked her to transfer me back and got another friendly agent who told me that all agents received an email regarding this offer and that they were told not apply this to anyone who has not been targeted. So dead end for me! The agent mentioned that unlike other offers such as bonus for signing up the card which can be increased even though you are not targeted through what they call "better the offer" because you had some bonus code to start with, this won't honored in the same way.

FYI, I upgraded from Gold premier to Plat for the 25K MR points, then called to get the additional 75K and got that notated on the account, then called back a week later after the 1K spend and ended up with 100K more not 75K for a total of 125K points! And they applied them immediately even though the agent who notated my account said it will take 6 to 8 weeks.

So not too disappointed that I was denied this promo.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I was denied as well, CSR says he can't add the offer code... will try to SM them and call them tmr...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:12 pm

just called MR right before close, and CSR claimed didn't show on personal, but did on business (i had called on personal, but because i have both in gold and they're linked, he saw and suggested).

figured i was going to do both in separate calls, so didn't fight it and went with the business.

the CSR claimed there isn't an age limit for kids, but since he wasn't really the dept that does the admin of these cards, not sure i could trust him.

has anyone definitively got an answer on minimum age, and how can they verify SSN if a teen doesn't have any credit history?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Just called about 20 min. ago and told the MR rep. that I wanted to add a few AU to my acct. She laughed and said: Is this for offer 5721? I laughed too and said "yes". She asked where I had heard of the offer and I said a "friend". She checked and said that she didn't see this offer on my acct. but she would add a note so I would get the points. She then xferred me to CS and they took SS #, DOB & names. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks to the OP.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Retroactive?

Anyone who recently got the card ask to get a retroactive 10K for their additional user added at time of application?

I emailed customer service and was told it was targeted. I just emailed back asking if I could have it retroactive as a courtesy. I did this because I read on some blog comments from boardingarea.com that people had success getting them to give it retroactive. So not sure if they will shoot me down again!

If anyone has success would you kindly post the response from customer service here? That way I can forward and let them know it has been done for other customers etc..
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:39 pm

does this work with the other promotion of 75k miles with 1000 dollar spending?

edit: they've notated my account with the promotion 6661 but i have not reached that spending limit.

should I call and try to have them notate my account with this promotion too, or reach the spending limit, get my points, then attempt this?

Last edited by mavrich; Aug 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:52 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Lancexfang, how were you able to call on wife's accounts?

Originally Posted by lancexfang
My experience:

All calls were made between 12:30 PM and 1:15 PM CDT. All calls were made to 1.800.297.3276.

First call: for my wife's accounts. She got a PRG this year, and a Business Gold from when I don't remember. The rep put me on hold, did his research and came back confirming the eligibility. He said he made notes on the MR account. I asked if it's necessary to call back to get the points to post. He said most likely yes. He asked if I wanted to add the AU's right away, I said I'd rather do it online to save all the back and forth about spellings and etc. He confirmed it won't affect the promotion eligibility. I guess not, given how manual this thing is set up. So my plan is to do it online later. In the end, I asked if the Business Gold qualifies. He looked a little bit and said yes. He said it's one MR account anyway, and he added notes to mention it as such. I am not quite sure about it but let it go, thanked him and hung up.

Second call: for my own accounts. I've two long standing accts, one personal Platinum and one business gold. The lady taking the call right away said they got a lot of inquiries about it already, it's not in AMEX' system whatsoever anywhere and quizzed me how I learned about it. I said never mind and hung up.

Third call: for my own accounts still. The guy put me thru a long hold, and in the end said the promotion is targeted and my two accounts are not.

Don't know who to believe. I'm calling it a day, a qualified half-win. I'll add the 5 AU's to my wife's two accounts later today, and wait till end of Sept to check back.

Thanks for the thread.
Don't they require you to put your wife on the phone for her account? It will be like pulling teeth to get my husband to call and add AUs to his account (even for 50K miles) and if I can somehow do it, I'd be thrilled!

Anita
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by phsu
Just called & was told Bus Gold can have up 99 FREE AUs (1st year free).

My case is --> MR folks 1st to add 5721 into my account & transfer me to CS to add AUs. SSN will be needed for my Peronal & Bus card cases.
Just beware, CSR can all have a different understanding. One I called said adding a card would be $45. I said I understood the first five are free. She said no, the first 5 are $45 each, and after that they are free. I said OK and let her go along with it, without arguing. She said you understand there will be a $45 fee for the one member I was adding at that time and I said OK. Then she read through the canned script which says the first 5 are free, and she said, Oh, I guess the first 5 are free.

So they can tell you the first 99 are free or whatever, but listen to the canned speech and you can hear what it hopefully really is.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by greek2me

Says it is targeted for cardholders who got card between 1/10/11-12/31/11 and gives 10k MR pts after first purchase by each new cardholder within 4 months, up to 5 add'l cardholders can be added for free.
I got my PRG and Business Gold cards in October and November 2010. The MR CSR notated my accounts today regarding the Promo, but might I lose out on getting the points?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by akp
Don't they require you to put your wife on the phone for her account? It will be like pulling teeth to get my husband to call and add AUs to his account (even for 50K miles) and if I can somehow do it, I'd be thrilled!

Anita
I can feel your pain. My parents are so uncooperative.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by akp

Anita
American Express will allow you to assign an "Account Manager" to your account. You can even set this up online. I logged into my wife's account and assigned myself as her "Account Manager" for each of her cards. I can make any decisions regarding her account that I chose.

Login and then click on "Manage Your Account: Profile and Account Management." Then click on "Account Management" then "Authorized Users." Here click on "Add Authorized User." The next screen will have a box to click on that says Add Manager. You will see from the description that this allows the Account Manager to act with the same authority as the account holder. My wife was so relieved when I told her I was now the account manager for all of her Amex accounts and she never needs to call Amex again. Yesterday I was able to call and add all the extra cards to her account. I love how Amex makes everything so easy for their customers!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Add now, but to what expense for the other users, later?

I saw this question, twice, earlier in the thread: What happens to those users who get added if they want one of their own later with resepect to first time bonuses? Will they not be able to receive one if they sign up under their own account in the future?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by swat16
American Express will allow you to assign an "Account Manager" to your account. You can even set this up online. I logged into my wife's account and assigned myself as her "Account Manager" for each of her cards. I can make any decisions regarding her account that I chose.

Login and then click on "Manage Your Account: Profile and Account Management." Then click on "Account Management" then "Authorized Users." Here click on "Add Authorized User." The next screen will have a box to click on that says Add Manager. You will see from the description that this allows the Account Manager to act with the same authority as the account holder. My wife was so relieved when I told her I was now the account manager for all of her Amex accounts and she never needs to call Amex again. Yesterday I was able to call and add all the extra cards to her account. I love how Amex makes everything so easy for their customers!
Thank you very much, swat16!! this will make my life and especially my wife's life easier. I wish I could do the same for other credit cards (Citi, Chase, Etc.).
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:27 am

Was just denied for fiancee's PRG card calling as an account manager. Will call again during lunch.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx
That's not the same info as everyone is reporting.

$175 for up to 3 Platinum users
To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that everyone was reporting the $175, but that some were (essentially, some of those earlier posters who were not successful). Just a data point, I intend to call back this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.