Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by naps8906
lol MM.. Some of your stories are hilarious. I've learn so much from your posts. Keep up da good work ^^^^^^
well don't tell me you have brought soiled diapers into public facilities out of protest or had bank managers talk 1960s speak to you and agree to take pallets of coinage!

lol

(long story if you missed the first bit)

Anyway I would like to enter a large bank driving a forklift with $50k coins on it some day but that's another story. Wow what a sight that would be though eh?

or ship coins to a FT DO and be seen picking them up in the lobby of the hotel that the DO is held in with a car waiting to go to some local area bank, but have something screw up and need to actually cart the things onto the plane ride home and pay thru the nose in baggage fees! hahahaha
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
MM, your stories are great. I wish I lived in a small town like you so that I could cause shenanigans like you.

I've taken so many coins to my bank that they now don't even ask me to open up the boxes. They tell me they just put them in their vault. And come to think of it, that's a great way to keep cash in your vault - that way, in case of a heist, the thief would have to carry out heavy boxes of coins!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I just tell them i have to order 2k in coins to get free shipping from the mint as I look for "flaws" in each batch (even though I only actually order 1k). I tell them I unroll 1k and if there is nothing, I bring the second 1k to the bank since as a "coin collector", I can tell there won't be anything in the second 1k.

Worked today with no problems
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
because of an upcoming trip I decided to get rid of the $1k I had sitting around the house for a few months quickly.

took it to my local bank and the teller was like: "weren't you here the other day with these coins?"

before you know it a few tellers sitting in line all had my attention, and one of them was cringing as apparently she had to count them by hand again...

another customer in line was like... "oh I have a bunch of coins laying around the house..." before she could even finish the sentence the teller that was all unhappy about my deposit quickly exclaimed... "please don't bring them here!" with an uneasy smile

so yeah... banks aren't really thrilled with this idea
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
because of an upcoming trip I decided to get rid of the $1k I had sitting around the house for a few months quickly.

took it to my local bank and the teller was like: "weren't you here the other day with these coins?"

before you know it a few tellers sitting in line all had my attention, and one of them was cringing as apparently she had to count them by hand again...

another customer in line was like... "oh I have a bunch of coins laying around the house..." before she could even finish the sentence the teller that was all unhappy about my deposit quickly exclaimed... "please don't bring them here!" with an uneasy smile

so yeah... banks aren't really thrilled with this idea
That's unfortunate...I've now dropped off 3k in the last month to the SAME branch, and no complaints yet. (knock on wood and crossing my fingers)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:56 pm

depositing coins

Hi--I am about to take part in this activity but just raid the disclosure re just deposoting these coins into the bank. Does this concern others? Are there any possible legal consquences.

Please let me know because I think this is a great concept.

Thanks.

ddfr
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ddfr
Hi--I am about to take part in this activity but just raid the disclosure re just deposoting these coins into the bank. Does this concern others? Are there any possible legal consquences.

Please let me know because I think this is a great concept.

Thanks.

ddfr
If you have concerns about legal consequences then you probably shouldn't be ordering coins and then depositing them.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:03 pm
xp0

Agreed. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, then dont. If you have no problem buying coins and putting them into the bank, then do it. If you are going to buy coins and use them for everyday activities, even better!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramalama8
MM, your stories are great. I wish I lived in a small town like you so that I could cause shenanigans like you.

I've taken so many coins to my bank that they now don't even ask me to open up the boxes. They tell me they just put them in their vault. And come to think of it, that's a great way to keep cash in your vault - that way, in case of a heist, the thief would have to carry out heavy boxes of coins!
If a thief wanted to rob me I would be like... do you need my hand truck to go with? lol

Anyway I have a question... anyone here ever have a bank just up and CLOSE your account --ie, you check your balances online a night after visiting the bank and they are ZERO--and all you did was pour oh I dunno $7,000 in coins into their in-branch coin machine one afternoon and ask for the receipt to be given to you in hundreds where as all you deposited was $200 and you walked out with the other $6,800?

Just axin.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
well don't tell me you have brought soiled diapers into public facilities out of protest or had bank managers talk 1960s speak to you and agree to take pallets of coinage!

lol

(long story if you missed the first bit)

Anyway I would like to enter a large bank driving a forklift with $50k coins on it some day but that's another story. Wow what a sight that would be though eh?

or ship coins to a FT DO and be seen picking them up in the lobby of the hotel that the DO is held in with a car waiting to go to some local area bank, but have something screw up and need to actually cart the things onto the plane ride home and pay thru the nose in baggage fees! hahahaha
don't forget these coins are real money
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ordua
don't forget these coins are real money
I never forget. But I do feel differently about them. And so do, sadly, many banks.

I also feel somehow safer with them. I mean... if you have say 10 brown cardboard boxes of $1k each in your car it feels a lot safer to lock it and run into the convenience store for a Coke than if you had say, $10,000 in green money in an envelope on the front seat.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
I depoited 1K at Citibank with no problem today
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I own 2 rentals and say that one of my renters pays with the coins when asked. Seems to satisfy the tellers and normally that is the end of their questions,

However.... seems I have a copycat. He is depositing them into the same banks. He is ALSO telling the tellers that his renter is paying in coins First time a teller told me that I thought she was confused since I had been in there 5 or 6 weeks previously but the second time it happened at a different branch I knew there really WAS someone using the same excuse as me, LOL
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:13 pm

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
Paid the kid's pre-school tuition last month - i think the scholl finance manager just took them to the bank.

Used 'em around town for taxi fare a bunch of times.

Paid my electric bill in peron.

Planning to pay a Citi credit card in person at a local bracnh. We'll see how that goes.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:09 pm

took it to Chase bank, $850 in coins no problem. The rest of it I plan on using when I eat with friends/everyday things. When they pay cash I steal their cash and leave coins :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.