Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:18 pm

i have bought between 1 & 2k and have used all of them. but if i were to deposit no explanation would be necessary they are legal us tender
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:30 pm

i usually deposit them on saturdays. They are ready for the weekend, and its a short day so they dont mind as much
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I tell them one of my tenants pay their rent that way, and I take it in every month, never been a problem,
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dm84
I think a set of regularly occurring money order deposits that are payable from yourself to yourself could cause a bank to file a SAR.
No, it wouldn't.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:05 pm

I had my first experience depositing coins yesterday. I had $500 in coins. I got $250 in bills for a trip next week and deposited the rest. Teller didn't even ask where I got them. As I was leaving, I said I hope she didn't mind all the coins and she said "No, not at all". Hope I get her every time.

Last edited by Pat H; Feb 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:30 pm

During one of my earlier deposits at a bank, one of the managers jokingly asked if I had brought them any goodies, which I hadn't. Now every time I go there (once or twice a week) I take a small box of chocolate or something else fun. They are always happy to see me (they never gave me any hassle before I brought candy) and don't act at all upset when I have to make multiple trips to the car to bring in all the coins.

Another local bank started getting upset just with $1000 or $2000 a week, so I avoid that one now.

Now if only I could figure out how to get serious cash back and not just miles. The 5% AARP card looks fun, but Chase doesn't have virtual numbers so that limits the upside.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
No offend to others, but back in the early days when we were all discussing how to respond when the bank asks about the source of the coins, we all agree that not lying is the key. The bank may file a SAR or LTR and write down whatever you tell them. When you get flagged (some here did), they would probably want to know why you lied to the bank. You can most likely talk yourself out of it, but you are just making yourself a more suspicious to the authority. Even if they don't file a SAR or LTR, when you keep bringing in the coins regularly (and most likely a larger amount every time), they probably will get suspicious, too, if you do not really tell the truth.

If you tell the truth and the bank doesn't like it, so be it and just go to another one. I have had different branches of the same national chain telling me different things. One branch would threaten me with charge and so (not that they could until they put it in the T&C, but I didn't want to make a scene and just leave). Another would "encourage" me to bring in as many as I have in the morning the armor truck comes in return for my donuts, pizzas, etc. Some tellers think I am crazy, and some tellers say this is smart idea and start doing it themselves. My point is just that there is absolutely no reason to lie.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
The next quarter taxes were just due Feb 1 so on Jan 31 I took coins down there again and this time the clerk saw me coming and said NO COINS! That person who took them before was not supposed to!

I paid some by check and had a $300 bal because I didnt have enough in the particular check book I had with me so I asked how else to pay. She said CASH --like GREEN MONEY ONLY!
Last I checked dollar coins were legal tender for all debts public and private. I don't think they have the right to refuse them.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by stifle
Last I checked dollar coins were legal tender for all debts public and private. I don't think they have the right to refuse them.
No one is obligated to take cash.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
So you're telling me that a city can issue you a property tax bill, you show up at the office/court/whatever with cash (in whatever form) to pay it, and they can refuse it? How are people supposed to pay then? There is no US law saying all citizens must have a checking (current) account and a credit card, and I am sure that there is someone somewhere who doesn't.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by stifle
So you're telling me that a city can issue you a property tax bill, you show up at the office/court/whatever with cash (in whatever form) to pay it, and they can refuse it? How are people supposed to pay then? There is no US law saying all citizens must have a checking (current) account and a credit card, and I am sure that there is someone somewhere who doesn't.
Yes. You can buy a money order. Cash isn't accepted for many things, including getting a passport.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Yes. You can buy a money order. Cash isn't accepted for many things, including getting a passport.
But if they agree to take cash, can they restrict the form? I seem to remember a flap about toll-takers on the Garden State Parkway in NJ refusing to take pennies and don't remember how that turned out.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Athena53
But if they agree to take cash, can they restrict the form? I seem to remember a flap about toll-takers on the Garden State Parkway in NJ refusing to take pennies and don't remember how that turned out.
Yes anyone can restrict the form. I grew up in the NYC area. There were always signs that said no pennies please. I'm sure they took them, but they have the right to say no. You'll often see signs in places like fast food restaurants that ban anything higher than a $20 or $50. Does a soda machine have to take a $100 bill?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta FO
http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
My German Passport was actually cash ONLY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.