Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AA mostly
Originally Posted by Dm84
Yes. You can buy a money order. Cash isn't accepted for many things, including getting a passport.
Paying for a passport isn't paying for a debt. It's a purchase.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Dm84
Yes. You can buy a money order. Cash isn't accepted for many things, including getting a passport.
this office accepted cash. they only wanted green cash bills not coins--except maybe like $4 or whatever. I mean maybe they would have even taken like say $50 worth of rolled mint coins with my payment but they would not accept the full $1,500 in coins.

Why? Cuz they are lazy and they are D*ckheads.
simple as that
and yet, THEY have jobs and I know plenty of people who would love a job and could do better in it.

I mean yeah maybe it's a pain to cart the coins away but that's the cost of doing business I think. It is made up for by all the people who just ACHd the money, as I have done in the past. No work at all! Just some admin.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO, AA
When I took my box in they thought I was trying to sell girl scout cookies! Too bad I'm a 25 year old male. Haha
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crm1712
When I took my box in they thought I was trying to sell girl scout cookies! Too bad I'm a 25 year old male. Haha
hahaha

well that's better than when I went in and the teller said, "oh coins? I thought that was a weapon!"

geesh... what if that day comes when some bozo does something somewhere that gets on the news and like you and I aint allowed to bring boxes into a bank!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: HH Gold
I'm starting to get that "c'mon man" look at my branch. Then I just wink back and it fixes everything.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

alls I can say is that the last time I brought coins into the bank I rolled them in in a baby stroller--without the kid in it, but with now low tires.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My credit union has a coin machine at one branch and I'm very low volume ($500 order when I feel like doing it), but when I started using the machine, mixing the dollar coins in with other change, two times out of the first five times the teller remarked on how many dollar coins were listed on the slip. So now I run them through vending machines at work to get quarters and sprinkle some dollar coins into the mix. I'd rather not be questioned at all, and I'm more-or-less complying with the Mint's goal of getting them into circulation.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:14 am

I have been using a bank that has many branches in my area. I take in about $2,000 worth for deposit on each visit, and I take them to a different branch each time. So, I am not repeating at a single branch except about once every two months or so. I have not had any problems. I have had a few tellers ask me how I came upon so many coins. For the simple fact that I just want to get in and out and not engage in a lot of conversation, I just tell them that I bought a vending business. ... In fact, today I was paying for a parking lot ticket at an automated teller. My ticket was $3. I inserted a $5 bill and was returned two presidential $1 coins. ... So, it is a believable story. I have never had anyone ask more beyond that. Smile and distribute in manageable amounts and your deposit trips should be fairly hassle-free. Good luck!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by wise2u
Label it pigs guts so people won't mess with it..lol.. jk

There are parts of the country where pig guts are considered good eating...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
Here's a guy trying to take his pennies to the bank...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/hamptonr...nnies-24532069
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Took some excess $1 rolls to the local bank yesterday. The teller next to the one helping me asked where I go so many. "Various places," I replied not wanting to get into a discussion that might lead to complaints or threats of bank service charges.

When I was done making my deposit, I asked for a large amount of nickel and quarter rolls. I can just imagine what was going through their minds when I said that!

For those wondering, they're not for the bank or any churning scheme...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by wise2u
I use a small igloo cooler, easiest way to transport cold hard cash. Label it pigs guts so people won't mess with it.
My cooler has "BIOHARZARD" labels on it. Vaguer than "pigs guts" and not as appetizing.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
My cooler has "BIOHARZARD" labels on it. Vaguer than "pigs guts" and not as appetizing.
Hey, them biohazerds is good eatin'!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
Here's a guy trying to take his pennies to the bank...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/hamptonr...nnies-24532069
Wow! That's all I can say...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
LOL. Do the bank employees see the biohazard labels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.