Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Those in the lesser 49 this is not for you. The rest of you need to DADAP to take more coins to the bank. PM if you get it, PM if you don't.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Pup
So, doing her part to put them in circulation, my wife took $500 in rolled coins through the metal detector at the courthouse and used them to pay our taxes. My wife asked if they minded taking them and they said not at all, they'd just carry them over to the bank at the end of the day.

So those coins were in circulation for... *checks watch* maybe two hours.
I think this is a perfect way to use them!

I had brought in $1500+ to pay my taxes once in my town and the clerk was out so a different office took them and gave me a receipt.

The next quarter taxes were just due Feb 1 so on Jan 31 I took coins down there again and this time the clerk saw me coming and said NO COINS! That person who took them before was not supposed to!

I paid some by check and had a $300 bal because I didnt have enough in the particular check book I had with me so I asked how else to pay. She said CASH --like GREEN MONEY ONLY!

then I asked about some other issues in town... one was about 4 power outages we had that are in part the fault of my town, and in part the fault of the electric co. I suggested that the town needs a liaison to help with such issues. I also asked why the town doesn't send post card notices out when taxes are due. If you are late you get a fee, and to save money the town stopped sending notices. I am always on time but I would like one. So I suggested they email everybody. They said they cant do it because it takes too much work to set up a database, etc. I said I would set it up for them for $100. I suggested this would be a good way to notify people of many things but they just glared at me for making them do more work. then one clerk said, if you don't like things the way they are you should just move.

I couldn't believe she said that so I left and came back with my balance due.

in ONES.

Note: at no time did I complain about the amount of taxes or that we have to pay them. I just want the money used for good things.

Today I went in there to ask the town trash and recycling office why they failed to take my recycle, which is sorted as always for every other Wednesday. I was brought to the manager of that dept. She was having a chat with the same tax office clerk. I then figured out why I didn't get my trash picked up. I am on the black list

Looks like I will have to do what I did for another town in a different state where I own property where the town hall personnel and the way things are done are just crappy:

I shipped a box of coins as payment to the clerk.
Can pay the difference later by check, or in advance.

If you are not there they will just receive it. Once received, it's done!

maybe I will get blacklisted again tho
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I think this is a perfect way to use them!
If you are not there they will just receive it. Once received, it's done!

maybe I will get blacklisted again tho
Not taking your recyclables because they are mad?! What, are we in second grade? Call the mayor and tell him or her to get township people to do their jobs!

Better yet, get yourself elected as the mayor or town council and light some fire under arses!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtmann
Not taking your recyclables because they are mad?! What, are we in second grade? Call the mayor and tell him or her to get township people to do their jobs!

Better yet, get yourself elected as the mayor or town council and light some fire under arses!
yup! but it's small town mentality, I could never win hahaha.
you should see the one auto shop in town. the guy who runs it is mean to customers but does good work. So everyone knows of this but they go to him anyway. strange. I'm like... I drive 20 mins down the highway to real civilization.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I shipped a box of coins as payment to the clerk.
Marathan Man.. Ur my hero ^^^
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naps8906
Marathan Man.. Ur my hero ^^^
lol well thanks but it gets better: My friend KNOWS this clerk and had seen her out having dinner in that town. She mentioned TO him that someone sent her coins and she accepted them and did not mind because they came in the box all packed and everything

hahahaha
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtmann

this got better too... I went back into town hall to ask more about recycling and I could SOOO tell something was up--like they had purposely skipped me on that day or something. So, knowing this was the case, I had already put one of my 2 year old son's used diapers into a plastic bag and since it was just soiled I left it in my car... and I went out to get it in the trunk of the car and brought it back in the building. I saw an unoccupied area and I put it into a hall trash receptacle (the kinds many offices may have in cubicles with clear plastic bags lining them) and I left it there with a coffee cup and a few crumpled napkins in the bin so that throughout the day no one would quite know why it kinda stinks in the building and I left.

I am both evil and devious.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I've only used dollar coins for several years now. Occasionally I get dollar bills in change, so I save them up and take them to the bank every week or two.
I also switch them out from the office coffee fund.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosafan
I've only used dollar coins for several years now. Occasionally I get dollar bills in change, so I save them up and take them to the bank every week or two.
I also switch them out from the office coffee fund.
would I be worse than a George Costanza if I were to like reach into a tip jar and take out say $30 in bills and replace it with coins? lol
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Gold
Made my first ever coin deposit this morning when the bank opened at 9 a.m.

There was an old lady depositing about 5 rolls of quarters right in front of me, then I lugged up my 20 lbs of coins. Went smoothly, not issues at all.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Judy $2 bills were so 2010! I was bringing in backpacks full of them in to deposit. A lot less stress on my back. I miss Bing cashback

??? I missed the $2 bill deal, what was that?

BTW, I have my first set of coins on their way. Just going to go in and not say anything. If they ask, I will probably pull the "my friend is paying me back in the most a-hole way" thing haha.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Those in the lesser 49 this is not for you. The rest of you need to DADAP to take more coins to the bank. PM if you get it, PM if you don't.
Well, I don't know what DADAP means, but it probably doesn't matter from my perspective.

But you raise an interesting point regarding states #49 and #50. I've felt a bit guilty about taking some small advantage of this program in that it means that there are some slight additional carbon emissions to transport the coins to me, but in the lower 48, once the coins are deposited, they probably go on an armored car that would be going anyways, so the incremental cost is negligible. But if you're in Alaska or Hawaii, and assuming that the coins are not ultimately recirculated locally, that means that they will be shipped to the Fed in Seattle or SFO, respectively. If you're in Guam (also a part of the SF District) or Barrow, AK (which has the Northernmost bank branch in the US) the distance is even greater, both ways. This is not a criticism of anybody. Congress started the ball rolling by mandating that the Mint get these coins into circulation. (I paid my property taxes with them, and then they went to the bank, and I suspect then to the Fed.) But for so long as there are dollar bills, I don't see the coins being widely circulated. In the meantime, those of us on FT are trying to do our share, but I think that some of us in remote locations might be particulary subject to some backlash from our local banks.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had been flicking thru channels on the TV and this old black & white movie was on with the mob extorting money from local shops. Some store owner had to hand over a bag of cash and it looked like a lot of money.

I kept thinking... imagine if this were like Chicago in the 20s and they came to MY store and told me to pay or suffer. I would be like, "Ok Nunzio... I will have your $1,000 next Wednesday-no problem!"

...and then he receives a box dropped on his doorstep.

or better yet, I get all the other shop owners to let me make a big order for theirs included with mine and he gets a HUGE drop but I get all the CC miles.

I dunno. Just a thought of one way to unload these things

MM

I would insert a pic of the mobster but I dunno how to do that yet.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:42 pm

back in the unlimited days, I would call around to banks and asked to speak to the lead/head teller. I would accumulate shipments until I had about $50000. I would then pack each box with $5000. I would load the 10 boxes onto my handtruck and roll it into the bank. I invested in a handtruck where you could change it to a 4 wheel and just push or pull. It was hard work but the rewards outweighed that. I also got some giftcards that the tellers appreciated and allowed me to come back.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:53 pm

lol MM.. Some of your stories are hilarious. I've learn so much from your posts. Keep up da good work ^^^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.