Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:48 pm

Question

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
found in this thread and many others ...

If you have ever sold anything on craigslist, ebay, yardsale, etc. then you are a sole proprietor. Choose whatever pay bracket you think applies. I work for a company - they pay me for my services - am I a one man engineering consultant? you could look at it that way and use your yearly salary amount. Or you could say I sold a tv on ebay this year and use whatever you made off of it. It's up to you, but no one has really had an issue over the amount that your business earns.
Thanks. Could I have a question? If I choose Ebay, they are asking for the business name. Can I fill " Name DBA Name" ? Do I have to have a Ebay store?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by shorelife
hmmm...I'm looking and looking, but it looks like everyone applied for either 50K or 75K miles bonus through a phone offer -- and there's no way to do that online? Is that right? And if I already have a Citi AA MC Bronze card, will they lower the offer below 75K just because of that?
See page 20.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:33 pm

Cit AA VISA Statement just closed, 50K miles listed on statement (applied for the 100K offer). Can't wait for it to post in AAdvantage account! At the same time, I'm trying to figure out how to spend $10K as soon as possible.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:05 am

Programs: UA,SW,AA
Well I bit the bullet on this one as I couldn't pass up a great deal. I went for the 75k offer on the personal Amex card (gonna use this at Costco for work purchases) and was instantly approved. Will call tomorrow to confirm offer details. Thanks to all for the wealth of information to this FF newbie!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Originally Posted by msp2msy
Exactly our experience as well.

I didn't think a whole lot about this when I signed up and we went for 3 100k cards.

My plan is to shortly bring all up the $750 spend point for the initial 50k each. I'll feel better when I see those at least. Then we'll try to focus one each in succession. If something goes wrong, it'd be nice to know and work it out after finishing 1 $10k spend instead of having 3.
Did I read this correctly? You applied for and got approved for the Trifecta? 3 Citi cards at once?

I got the impression from others on this thread that that was like seeing a White Rhino or person using public transportation in LA -- unheard of.

I applied for 75k AA Amex, instantly approved, a few days later tried for the 50k/50k personal Visa, got to step 3, still waiting. Are you saying I should apply for Visa Business as well?!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gaore
Thanks. Could I have a question? If I choose Ebay, they are asking for the business name. Can I fill " Name DBA Name" ? Do I have to have a Ebay store?
Use any name you want. When I last applied for a business card, I just used my own name as the business name.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
50k, Visa
50k, Amex
50k, Visa Business

As a cardmember, you’ll benefit from:
•50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1 — enough for two round-trip domestic flight awards2
•$85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

75k, Visa
75k, Visa Business
75k, Amex

•75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,500 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership1 — enough for select round-trip international travel awards2
•$85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

50k/100k, Visa
50k/100k, Visa Business
50k/100k, Amex

• 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1
• 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles is enough for select round-trip international flight awards2
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*
- Currently, you cannot apply to this offer over the phone. If you call, you will get the generic 30k offer.
- These links do not have the offer shown on the application, so you gotta have some faith they're right. Applicants have confirmed with CSRs the offers are correct and a couple of people are reporting the initial 50k miles showing up (for the 50k/100k offer).

Generally,
- Only 2 apps in 60 days
- Personal app first, then business
- 9+ month look back period for existing cardholders
- No matter what step you get to, you're not denied until they say denied.

Originally Posted by gaore
Nothing required to apply for the business visa. Your discretion as to what you put as business name and income.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: Various
One thing that I'm still not 100% clear about: for the 50/50 card, does one receive the full 100k miles for $10,000 in purchases, or for $10,750 in purchases? In other words, does the initial $750 for the first 50k miles also count toward the $10,000 spend target? From the wording, it seems like it should. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by mechteach
One thing that I'm still not 100% clear about: for the 50/50 card, does one receive the full 100k miles for $10,000 in purchases, or for $10,750 in purchases? In other words, does the initial $750 for the first 50k miles also count toward the $10,000 spend target? From the wording, it seems like it should. Any thoughts?
I would assume that the $750 would be including in the $10,000...I really hope they are not exclusive of eachother, but I have yet to see an offer structured like that.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL, QF, CO, Married (does that count as a program?)
Ideas?

I am thinking, no, wanting to apply for the AA 75K cards. I am wondering what you all (in your experiences) would recommend.

We bought a new house at the end of June. I just got the SPG card 3 weeks ago and I am looking to lease a new Camry tonight or tomorrow. But, I want to apply for the 75K visa & 2 75K business cards.

How do you think this will work and if that will be too many inquiries in the last few months? Do I apply for the lease and all the cards within 1 hours time? Or, should I wait to apply for the cards until towards the end of Oct while leasing the car in the enxt day or so? I have the DL Amex, 2 other mastercards and two other visa cards which are rarely used.

ANY help is MUCH appreciated as I really want the bonus miles to do a RTW next year for our "real" honeymoon.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
yes you are missing the $750 needed to get the initial 50k, so difference is $9,250....also until the big chunk (10k) is spent to qualify you will only have 50k miles to use, whereas the 75k offer gives full bonus after first spend level is met.
If you have multiple cards to qualify it may be difficult for most...add qualifying the SPG cards that we just got and no telling what other offers are coming in the future, it doesnt make sense to go for the extra 25k miles at that price....unless you are in the enviable position where money is no object and you have lots of ways to charge up that kind of balance.
I read the 50/50 offer to say that you need $10,000 of spending in the first 12 months, not an additional $10,000 in spending after the initial $750.

As noted before, the additional $8,500 in spending, if applied to a cash back card at 2%, forgoes $170 in cash back to get 33,500 miles (the 25k bonus plus the 8,500 miles earned by spending). That's about a half cent a mile, which tempts even die-hard folks like me who never pay cash for miles.

As I wrote in my earlier post, the only reason not to take the 50/50 deal is if one's spending is limited. In that case, there may be better offers to consider.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

As I wrote in my earlier post, the only reason not to take the 50/50 deal is if one's spending is limited. In that case, there may be better offers to consider.
A need for miles in your account sooner is also a reason to go for the 75 instead of the 50/50.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by JordyC
Did I read this correctly? You applied for and got approved for the Trifecta? 3 Citi cards at once?

I got the impression from others on this thread that that was like seeing a White Rhino or person using public transportation in LA -- unheard of.

I applied for 75k AA Amex, instantly approved, a few days later tried for the 50k/50k personal Visa, got to step 3, still waiting. Are you saying I should apply for Visa Business as well?!
Sorry, no. The We above is my wife and I and the 3 cards were 1 for her (Business Visa) and 2 for me (Pers Amex and Business Visa).

The temptation to try is strong (and especially so the night I was submitting)... but everything I read tells me the odds are so low that it's just not worth wasting an INQ on.

Sorry to get your hopes up.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL KM, AA, AVIS First
Originally Posted by mechteach
I just confirmed this for my 50/50 card on the phone today, and they are sending me an e-mail containing the exact bonus structure (will post here when I get it), and the way that it works is that you get 50k at $750, and another 50k when you reach $10,000 total. You will NOT need to spend to $10,750 for the bonus. You just have to remember that the 4 month and 12 month period start from the day you were approved (August 4th in my case) and not when you received the card (August 9th in my case)

So when you reach $10k spent you will have earned a total of 110k miles.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Data point or user error:
  • Applied for Pers Amex on 8/5 and was instantly approved (744 FICO, no prior Citi cards).
  • Applied for Pers Visa on 8/9, hung up on Step 3. Today was denied, reason being: "This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) cardmembers."

Did I screw up in applying for two personal cards? I thought Amex/Visa were treated differently and read nothing to indicate that this wasn't possible.

Can I now apply for a Visa Business card, or will I get rejected again for "first time cardmembers" reason or too many INQs?

At least I got one approved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.