Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by philemer
Those were the old rules. Now, people are getting rejected who haven't had a CITI card in many, many months. See the CITI thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...nk-jig-up.html It's much tougher now to get a new card & get the miles.
Agreed, it's much harder now. But 3 in 60 seems impossible for anyone.

The odd thing is that newbies applying for two the same day are usually successful and we assume that's because the 1st isn't on record yet. But if that were true a 3rd the same day could also get through and that's never happened.

Therefore one prior doesn't seem as much a disqualifer as more than 2 in 60, which seems to be an absolute. Hopefully Citi hasn't stretched the 60 days out to much longer to stop churning but there are reports of many people who haven't applied in over 60 days getting shut down as priors.

Last edited by tassojunior; Aug 8, 2010 at 10:34 pm
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nydad
So, what's the current consensus on the "look back" period? Is it between 8 or 9 months?
Not enough data to tell yet. Remember, the last "churn" opportunity was back in December. Have not seen anyone that was churning hard up until that point get approved for a new personal card.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by deant
Not enough data to tell yet. Remember, the last "churn" opportunity was back in December. Have not seen anyone that was churning hard up until that point get approved for a new personal card.
True. My last set of applications (two applications) went through on 11/10/2009. It's been almost 9 months but I am still hesitating.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: WN CP, AA Gold MM, SPG Gold, UA, DL
Originally Posted by tassojunior
He would be rejected since he's already had 2 apps in 60 days and Citi considers biz in that. Plus with business you have to wait 90 days between apps so he'd probably be shut out of re-applying before Oct 31.

I wish we had more info from people who have applied for all three. I suspect no one else likes to admit they were that dumb. I stupidly did it and wish I'd read more before I did.
Interesting. I applied for and was approved for the Amex and the Visa yesterday. I assumed that the business card was treated separately and that that one would be a cinch. Based on what I'm reading now, I won't even try.

Too bad. If I had realized I could only have 2 out of 3, I would have done the Visa personal and Visa business.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
delete....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 9, 2010 at 2:38 am
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: No preference
What are the chances of them ending it early? How much early? I've got a house refi. coming in a couple of weeks and want to wait till after to apply.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by deant
Remember, the last "churn" opportunity was back in December. Have not seen anyone that was churning hard up until that point get approved for a new personal card.
Well, I wasn't churning hard, but I did get the personal Visa in late February after having had it in the past.

At the time, I held a business Visa (opened December 2009) and had closed my MC and Amex in mid-November.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:10 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Another Data Point

Churned 6 cards in 2009
Have active 1 personal AA Citicard and 2 Business AA Citicards:
Pers AA MC approved 1999
Bus aa MC approved 7/29/2009
Bus AA Visa approved 6/4/2010

Churned 6 cards in 2009
Rejections 10/8/09 for Pers MC, Visa, & Amex
Rejections 2/27/2010 for Pers Visa and Bus Visa

Applied for Pers AA Visa 50/50 offer through links above on 8/6/2010 was rejected 8/7/2010 due to the offer being for first time card members.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Rejected!

I currently have a AA Citi MC and AA Citi Amex. I applied for the AA Citi Visa 75/25 offer and was denied. E-mail below:

Dear CYNCYN129:

Why we're writing you Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) / AAdvantage(R) Visa Signature(R) account. Unfortunately, we are
unable to approve your request for the account at this time
because of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Well, I wasn't churning hard, but I did get the personal Visa in late February after having had it in the past.

At the time, I held a business Visa (opened December 2009) and had closed my MC and Amex in mid-November.
Have you tried for this new round of offers? If you have, what is the outcome?

TIA for sharing info.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyncyn129
I currently have a AA Citi MC and AA Citi Amex. I applied for the AA Citi Visa 75/25 offer and was denied. E-mail below:

Dear CYNCYN129:

Why we're writing you Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) / AAdvantage(R) Visa Signature(R) account. Unfortunately, we are
unable to approve your request for the account at this time
because of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us.
When were your existing AA MC and AA AMEX first opened?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I just read through the thread, and I'm confused on one point:

Are people applying for both the personal Visa and Amex and getting (or hoping to get) a 75k bonus for each?

I assume you do the applications separately and it's two hard pulls...any other disadvantages that I'm missing?

I've never had a citi card, fwiw.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ttervooren
Churned 6 cards in 2009
Have active 1 personal AA Citicard and 2 Business AA Citicards:
Pers AA MC approved 1999
Bus aa MC approved 7/29/2009
Bus AA Visa approved 6/4/2010

Churned 6 cards in 2009
Rejections 10/8/09 for Pers MC, Visa, & Amex
Rejections 2/27/2010 for Pers Visa and Bus Visa

Applied for Pers AA Visa 50/50 offer through links above on 8/6/2010 was rejected 8/7/2010 due to the offer being for first time card members.
When were your last successful personal cards opened?

Your data points seem the worst case we have seen posted so far.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:21 am

I applied for the Visa a week ago and called the automated line today. First time I've been turned down for a card. I cancelled an AA Mastercard on January 30, so I assume that's why. Guess I'll find out when the letter gets here.

Received letter, and it said the offer wasn't available to previous card holders. They certainly are inconsistent.

Last edited by mareh; Aug 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you tried for this new round of offers? If you have, what is the outcome?

TIA for sharing info.
I have a single business Visa app for 75K pending. (Dreaded step 3 hold-up.) At time of app, had no current AA cards -- canceled all at last 3 days prior -- and only 1 non-AA Citi card. Last Citi AA app was the successful one in Feb for pers Visa, I believe. (Full chrono is at home, so I am not 100% certain on this.)

Hard to know how this one will pan out. DW applied for pers Visa & Amex; recently denied both on "first-time only" grounds. When we called about her apps, the automated system only asked for SSN + phone #, and then gave the "pending" announcement & transfered to a rep. When I call, I'm asked to key in SSN + phone + DOB. Hard to say if this is a meaningful clue re grant/denial, or whether it's a routine difference between pers & biz card apps.

Was planning to, and will, write it all up & post the summary once Citi makes a decision on my current app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.