Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Hi5z
I applied CitiBusiness eventhough I don't have a business. Like everyone else I put my ss# and claim myself and sole proprietory. Now Citi's asking me to fax proof of business, what's my option? I sell personal stuff on ebay once a while, does thay considered small business?
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A copy of your Schedule C would work.
What if you were just starting a new business (as sole proprietor) and wanted a credit card from the get-go before things were up and running? If you're creditworthy in your own right then they could/should give you a card, but you'd have nothing really to show them.

Has anyone had any experience of this particular scenario? Would the card issuer want to deny the card in this instance?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by User Name
What if you were just starting a new business (as sole proprietor) and wanted a credit card from the get-go before things were up and running? If you're creditworthy in your own right then they could/should give you a card, but you'd have nothing really to show them.

Has anyone had any experience of this particular scenario? Would the card issuer want to deny the card in this instance?
A couple years back you could put down 0 years in business and 0.00 income from business (a start up). Most of the time you would be approved. I would not recommend trying that now.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Advice needed

Hello,
I applied for both Visa personal and business 30 days ago and got denied with ridiculous reasons. (data point: score 770, 2 current citi cards, 8 opened cards, never had AA citi, never denied before, dont carry balances except auto lease)
Do you think I stand any chance for approval for the Amex if I wait 30 more days (total of 60 from previous appl)?

More details: some of the ridiculous reasons for denial for the personal included "no money market account", "total credit obligations too high (totally not true)", and "already having lots of credit available" (more than my yearly salary). Do you think if I would apply for the Amex in 30 days, I should 1) check that I have a money market acct, and 2) raise a bit my yearly income, which actually is true. Would they compare the two applications and think I am lying?
Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
OK, I could not resist the 75k offer. I had A LOT of Citi AA personal & business cards 2007-2009 but currently only have my long-time personal card. My last application was in 3/10 & that was a biz app denied for "first time customer only" reasons.

My biz app from earlier this week was approved (yay!). I initially got the "further processing is required" message but was told the card was approved when I called in a couple of days later. I do have a very high credit score & a legit business.

I wish now that I would have applied for 2 cards on the same day but was scared off by the "further processing" message.

Do I have a realistic chance of securing a personal card if I apply at this point? I have read this thread along with the classic "jig is up" thread, but am not clear on the consensus of what my chances for another card would be at this point.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:31 am

Rapid posting of miles

75,000 bonus posted to AA account the same day as statement generated
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pianistat
Hello,
I applied for both Visa personal and business 30 days ago and got denied with ridiculous reasons. (data point: score 770, 2 current citi cards, 8 opened cards, never had AA citi, never denied before, dont carry balances except auto lease)
Do you think I stand any chance for approval for the Amex if I wait 30 more days (total of 60 from previous appl)?

More details: some of the ridiculous reasons for denial for the personal included "no money market account", "total credit obligations too high (totally not true)", and "already having lots of credit available" (more than my yearly salary). Do you think if I would apply for the Amex in 30 days, I should 1) check that I have a money market acct, and 2) raise a bit my yearly income, which actually is true. Would they compare the two applications and think I am lying?
Thanks
You should call and ask to speak to supervisor or manager to discuss the reasons given and if needed, offer to lower credit limits on your other citi cards. (if you dont mind that).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
FWIW, I put in an app. for the personal Visa for my wife, just minutes after doing the personal/business combo for me, and on the same desktop and browser (I used laptop/desktop combo for my apps). Both personal apps were instantly approved and we have both cards; they requested proof of business address for the other card, and I'm still waiting to hear on that one.
Yours have 2 personals back to back on same IP and 1 business on the laptop.

When our 4 apps got a call from Citi fraud alert - there were 2 personals followed by another 2 personals on same computer back to back. The first 2 apps were instant approvals for same person (1st set), the 3rd app was deferred but got to step 5 for customization with the 4th app only reach step 3 for another person (2nd set). Fraud alert called in following day or day after (forgot the details).

At that time he called, the 3rd card already received an approval email and the 4th card received a denial email.

However after verification with Fraud Alert guy on the legitimacy of applications, I asked him to look into the denial of the 4th. He did, and said I would have some leeway because the denial was based on "too many inquiries" and they were all from Citi's (including the inquiries came from a wrong PO box therefore back to back apps still have 2 inquiries instead of 1). He wouldn't give approval on the phone but told me to call next Tuesday (it was Friday he called). The 4th card became alive over the weekend.

I reported this incident. Other FTers also posted their similar experiences and some PMed me the same. So we know the IP address could cause some issues.

A few months later similar incident happened when I neglected to change IP since the apps were several days apart. The 2nd set was denied with "too many inquiries" with a much cleaner credit profile (by that I mean less inquiries, less accounts) yet the 1st set was Instant Approval. That leads me to conclude it is the IP address causing auto rejection. And due to job cut, the human verification is eliminated.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG03
If this was posted earlier, I apologize. I didn't see this on the 1st page. Does the Citi BIZ AA Card report to the credit bureaus? I know many of the biz CCs from Citi, Chase, etc DON'T report, so just trying to see where the AA Biz fits in. Thanks in advance.

SuperG03
It does not report unless you default.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:54 pm

Can't you just get a Tax I.D. number for your business?
I used that to open a Chase business checking account to get a 25,000 mile bonus. Kept it open for about 7 mos, but after I had no "business" income, I just closed it.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:55 pm

I applied for the personal visa online, didn't get an approval right away. Called the 800 number next day and they said I was approved ^. Thanks, OP!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:59 pm

yes -- it is an actual business (I am 1 of 4 shareholders). Used the business info, but my SSN and home address for billing.

(sorry - tried to respond to question re my post a few days ago!)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:26 pm

dont play games with the IRS

Originally Posted by footypjman
Can't you just get a Tax I.D. number for your business?
I used that to open a Chase business checking account to get a 25,000 mile bonus. Kept it open for about 7 mos, but after I had no "business" income, I just closed it.
I know people do a lot of stupid things in the persuit of miles but creating a tax id number with the IRS to create a shill company to get miles is going way too far. You only need to claim sole propriotorship and use your social security number. Making a tax id number will get the IRS wondering why you didnt claim any business income, and do you really want to risk an audit for a few miles? DONT EVER DO THIS!!!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
It's a trifecta!

Just got the business card! Combined with the two personal cards (my wife & me), this means...

300,000 bonus miles!

Viva FlyerTalk!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wheresTWA
OK, I could not resist the 75k offer. I had A LOT of Citi AA personal & business cards 2007-2009 but currently only have my long-time personal card. My last application was in 3/10 & that was a biz app denied for "first time customer only" reasons.

My biz app from earlier this week was approved (yay!). I initially got the "further processing is required" message but was told the card was approved when I called in a couple of days later. I do have a very high credit score & a legit business.

I wish now that I would have applied for 2 cards on the same day but was scared off by the "further processing" message.

Do I have a realistic chance of securing a personal card if I apply at this point? I have read this thread along with the classic "jig is up" thread, but am not clear on the consensus of what my chances for another card would be at this point.
I"m bumping this post. If someone can help, I actually have basically the same question.

I've had a few Citi AA cards in the past (personal and one biz card), and I still have one personal card left. My prior ap for a business card was declined (quite some months ago). I decided to try for the 75K biz card in early Septemeber using a different (but quite legit) business name and was very surprised when I was instantly approved online.

I too am tempted now to try for a personal card as well. I'm planning to wait a few weeks, but I'm not at all sure what the chances might be. I know that people talk about 60 days between personal applications and 90 days for business. But what waiting period is reasonable if you are mixing and matching? In other words, how long to wait to put in a personal application after you've done a business ap?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:04 pm

If I just knew how easy it would be to get the $10,000 spend... I'd be floating an additional 50K miles in no time. Oh well, finding flyertalk is a learning experience!

Less than a month before I try to apply for my business card!

I asked a lot earlier, but maybe people have data points now that this deal has been going on... since I applied and got both 75K Visa/Amex personal apps on 08/11, it seems like there is a chance to get a business card since it's a different division of some sort doing the credit check? I know it says in the original post "denial if you received a card within the last 10 months" but I wasn't sure if that was for personal to personal or business to business...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.