Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by cevee
I was approved for both visa and amex -and called to answer questions and be approved - verified the offer then and messaged citi to confirm the offer and the visa records showed yes I have the offer however the amex message came back with this

Our records do not indicate you were solicited for the offer you mentioned. Please send a copy of the front and back of the offer you received. Once we receive this information, we will review your account and contact you.

since I applied online I do not have the front and back of the offer -so I guess all I can do is submit a screen print of the offer- has anyone else had this happen? If so did you send a screen print and did they confirm? Thanks!
oops - I can't find a screen print of the offer- I searched this thread and one at another site and don't see one- can anyone point me to it? thanks!
Hmmm, don't like the way that sounds...please keep us updated.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cevee
I was approved for both visa and amex -and called to answer questions and be approved - verified the offer then and messaged citi to confirm the offer and the visa records showed yes I have the offer however the amex message came back with this

Our records do not indicate you were solicited for the offer you mentioned. Please send a copy of the front and back of the offer you received. Once we receive this information, we will review your account and contact you.

since I applied online I do not have the front and back of the offer -so I guess all I can do is submit a screen print of the offer- has anyone else had this happen? If so did you send a screen print and did they confirm? Thanks!
oops - I can't find a screen print of the offer- I searched this thread and one at another site and don't see one- can anyone point me to it? thanks!
Which AMEX card did you apply for? http://frugaltravelguy.com/ has links to all the information you probably need.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
So I applied for this (Business card) online close to 2 weeks ago & haven't heard anything yet.... is this typical for this offer?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by learningtime
Yeah, it's confusing. How do I go back to being a first time cardmember? Surely, it's not just people who have have NEVER had an AA card. Thoughts, please share.
Data points have been a prolong period between 9 to 18 months from the last time you opened an AA card. The duration of such obviously is YMMV as there are reports that were only 8+ months for the lucky few but also reports near 12 months still not successfully including one such from a good friend whose last personal AA cards were Oct 2009.

The 60/90 days rule apply to ALL Citi cards as general - not specific to AA cards. That is, you are allowed 2 (for some people it is only 1) new applications for ANY Citi personal card. The 3rd one within the 60 days period would be auto-rejected by computer. 90 days refer to business card application. However whenever you have both categories in your records, it is better to err on the safe side by using the 90 days clock.

It is very simple and straight forward. Dont understand why it has so much confusion to so many posters. Must be people only pay attention to the AA cards and completely lose sight that AA card is one of the Citicards which ALL subject to the 60/90 days rule. On top of that AA card also subject to the "First Customer Only" ADDITIONAL rule.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Data points have been a prolong period between 9 to 18 months from the last time you opened an AA card. The duration of such obviously is YMMV as there are reports that were only 8+ months for the lucky few but also reports near 12 months still not successfully including one such from a good friend whose last personal AA cards were Oct 2009.

The 60/90 days rule apply to ALL Citi cards as general - not specific to AA cards. That is, you are allowed 2 (for some people it is only 1) new applications for ANY Citi personal card. The 3rd one within the 60 days period would be auto-rejected by computer. 90 days refer to business card application. However whenever you have both categories in your records, it is better to err on the safe side by using the 90 days clock.

It is very simple and straight forward. Dont understand why it has so much confusion to so many posters. Must be people only pay attention to the AA cards and completely lose sight that AA card is one of the Citicards which ALL subject to the 60/90 days rule. On top of that AA card also subject to the "First Customer Only" ADDITIONAL rule.
Thanks Happy, this helps. I had (1) and (2) below quite right in my mind. (3) was causing confusion (for me, not sure about others).
So as long as:
(1) it has been 9-18 months since I last "opened" an AA card, and
(2) it has been 60-90 days since my last citi application (AA or non-AA), and
(3) I have closed any and all open AA cards at some point (let's say a couple of months) back, I would "arguably" still qualify as a first time customer? YMMV of course.

Thanks everyone for helping out.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Kevo171
Hey everyone. Please excuse my noob question.

I have read through the past 12 or so pages trying to find an answer...

Can someone please give me some guidelines for applying to both personal cards.

From the sounds of it, I should apply to both at the same time. Should I do this on separate computers? In separate browsers?

Thank you for the help everyone.
When one says 'same time' that means:
1) Apply for the Visa or Amex
2) After submitting the form, immediately apply for the other one that you did not apply for in step 1

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
same time, different browsers to avoid cookie confusion.
Originally Posted by johndeere19
This or different computers would work too.
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
I wanted to thank the OP and other contributors for this awesome deal - I signed up for the visa and amex personal cards at the same time using 2 different browsers and I was instantly approved for both cards!
Originally Posted by Kevo171
Hmm...

Just applied to both personal Amex and Visa in separate browsers.

Got to step 3 in both applications. Got the "further processing is required at this time" message.

I know for a fact that my EQ Fico is 759 (updated last week @myfico.com).

No option to call, but maybe because it is too late??? Very strange- hoping for the best. Haven't been denied credit in a long time. Average revolving line is over 14k. No Citi cards...

Should I call tomorrow even though it didn't even give me an application number?

Who on earth started this separate browsers nonsense?? Are you just making this up? Why are you guys making this so difficult? Using a separate browser, separate computer, or even separate IP address, or even using a proxy server and routing the application to appear as an IP address from another state will not improve your chances of getting the cards. They're going to look at your credit file either way, plus your account history with Citi.

If you're trying to avoid the second inquiry on your credit file, all you need to do is complete the second (personal) application 'around' the same time as the first. Granted, 'around' is loosely defined, however, it's fairly safe to say if you make both applications on the same day (you likely have 2 days actually) it will still be shown as one inquiry.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Well, I'm in for the trifecta (all three 75,000 offers)... and got the dreaded 'application received, we will review it shortly.. blah blah blah' message.

Not all that optimistic since I was a big churner between 2006 and 2009.

I had hoped that because I actually received the offer from AA ... and twice at that (yeah, I know... 'AA' offered but it's 'Citi' that gives the card) I might have a better chance, at least for 1 of them anyway...

It's been depressing to see all the great mileage earning possibilities get seriously curtailed and/or removed all together in the past year and a bit (CC churning, bank account funding, Coins... Amex Travelers Checks). Got so close to AA 1MM, and now progress is completely shunted.
Well, looks like the business app was declined due to 'too many applications'. I guess I should not have applied for it along with the 2 personal cards. Since churning has been curtailed, I didn't bother checking if one could still do 2 personal and 1 business at one time (it's been well beyond 90 days since my last application due to the end of citi-churning).

At any rate, I figured the 2 personal cards would be declined as well, as I hadn't heard from them in about a week and a half. At any rate, I received a call today from Citi regarding my AMEX and VISA application, and first thing she mentioned was I already had an account with them. I figured this was going to be a denial (granted, confused why they'd call me to issue a denial). Well, it turns out she was calling to say I already had the maximum credit with Citi that they like to issue with 1 customer (over $90K credit line). She then continued to say that she can approve the new cards if I was willing to reallocate $12K from one of my other accounts over to the new Visa and Amex.

I agreed and she said that both my Visa and Amex would arrive within the week ^

At any rate, I know from reading this thread that some have been approved to only later be denied due to already having an AAdvantage account with them, but, I'm going to stay optimistic for now. She was kind enough to give her name and id number, and a different 1800 number than their credit application department, and said to call 'her' back if I don't receive the cards by mid next week.

So... for all you former citi-churners out there, this might be the turning point in what has been a generally bad year (either that or I was extremely lucky this time).
Update for all of you (former Citi AA) churners interested in how this former Citi AA churner's progress has been.

Yesterday I received two welcome letters from Citi. One for the AAdvantage Visa card and the other for the AAdvantage American Express card. Both with piss poor credit lines, but, that was because I already have a sum total of over $100K in credit lines with Citi on other cards. At least it's enough to place a couple of $1 coin orders without exceeding the limits on both.

Unfortunately, I still do not actually have the cards yet!

Each welcome letter states I should be receiving my respective card within the next 5 business days, and to call if this is not the case.

I'm fairly certain I won't have a problem now, but, Citi has been known to do some serious about faces on issues of approval. A year ago or so when I was churning I got a call saying I was approved and if I'd like to re-allocate some credit line from one of my existing accounts to this 'new' account. I agreed and was told to expect the card in 5-7 business days. Well, to make a long story short, 2 weeks later no card arrived, and I called them back, whereby I was told that they reversed the decision from 'approved' to 'pending'. There's more gory details to this story, but, this is merely to highlight the fact I'm not going to do my dance of joy until I've actually got the cards in my hands. At least the difference from that case a year ago is this time I got the welcome letters indicating credit lines.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:35 am

2) After submitting the form, immediately apply for the other one that you did not apply for in step 1

Who on earth started this separate browsers nonsense?? Are you just making this up? Why are you guys making this so difficult? Using a separate browser, separate computer, or even separate IP address, or even using a proxy server and routing the application to appear as an IP address from another state will not improve your chances of getting the cards. They're going to look at your credit file either way, plus your account history with Citi.

If you're trying to avoid the second inquiry on your credit file, all you need to do is complete the second (personal) application 'around' the same time as the first. Granted, 'around' is loosely defined, however, it's fairly safe to say if you make both applications on the same day (you likely have 2 days actually) it will still be shown as one inquiry.
It's because some are too dumb to clear the cookies and apply for the same card twice, as when you apply it retains the info and offer code, when they try for second application it fills in info from the first when they try and submit it, which causes an error (as in you've already applied for this card). So instead of explaining how to clear cookies, people advise to use 2 open browsers to apply for the 2 cards......yes stupidity is confusing

Last edited by wise2u; Sep 14, 2010 at 11:36 am Reason: punctuation
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You misunderstand the reasons WHY 2 separate browsers / IP addresses should be used.

The 2 different browsers approach is NOT to minimize inquiries - which can be achieved 90% of the time by doing applications back to back on same day.

The 2 different browsers approach / delete cookies is to AVOID your 2nd application of a different card turned out to be the SAME version of your 1st application - this has happened to a good number of people and has been reported many times in the past - an ongoing issue for years if you will. The latest such report is as recent as late last week. I always do 1 in FF 1 in IE and press my 2nd submit button as soon as the 1st one came back with a screen (regardless what it says - as the 1st could stop at Step 3 but the 2nd got instant approval - happened before.)

Regarding for IP addresses: I can assure you if you have both spouses to apply you would be advised to change IP address between the 2 sets if you are going to use same computer. Citi fraud alert dept once called me because it saw 4 applications from SAME IP back to back. I have affirmative information on this happening from other FTers via PMs.

On the 2nd occasions, despite the applications were set a few days apart - the 2nd set was auto-denied with a bogus reason since the 2nd set actually coming from a BETTER credit profile (cleaner in number of inquiries and accounts). The ONLY reason I could attribute the denial to, is the SAME IP address being used.

The reason Citi Fraud Alert dept gave me when they called on the first occasion is: multiple applications from same IP is an indication that such applications are from those "credit repair" companies - the guy admitted it is an assumption written to the program and the Fraud Alert would then call to verify if the flagged applications are legit or not. Unfortunately after multiple job cuts in the banks, there is no more Human intervention to verify this - now it is just automatically done.

No, using separate IP addresses do not enhance your approval chance. But it would help to eliminate one factor used by the computer for AUTO-REJECTION.

YMMV.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
It's because some are too dumb to clear the cookies and apply for the same card twice, as when you apply it retains the info and offer code, when they try for second application it fills in info from the first when they try and submit it, which causes an error (as in you've already applied for this card). So instead of explaining how to clear cookies, people advise to use 2 open browsers to apply for the 2 cards......yes stupidity is confusing
That still doesn't make sense. The URL for each application is quite different. Clearing cookies or not, is not going to prevent you from getting a message saying 'you already applied for this card' if you're stupid enough to actually apply for the same card. I didn't even think about clearing cookies or using a different browser when I applied for both cards.

I took the following 6 simple steps:

1) Clicked the Visa link
2) Used the already existing citi customer button to pre-fill the form
3) Clicked the submit button
4) Clicked the American Express link
5) Used the already existing citi customer button to pre-fill the form
6) Clicked the submit button

Took exactly 3 minutes to complete both applications, and as you can see by my previous posts (which I only share with you guys because former churners of the Citi AAdvantage cards would be interested), I ended up getting approved for both cards. There was no using different browsers or clearing cookies required.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as your welcome letters have the last 4 digits of the new cards and credit lines, you will receive the cards because only when an actual card is issued then you would have the new card number.

From your previously posted info we see your prior last opened AA cards were 12+ months ago.

Update for all of you (former Citi AA) churners interested in how this former Citi AA churner's progress has been.

Yesterday I received two welcome letters from Citi. One for the AAdvantage Visa card and the other for the AAdvantage American Express card. Both with piss poor credit lines, but, that was because I already have a sum total of over $100K in credit lines with Citi on other cards. At least it's enough to place a couple of $1 coin orders without exceeding the limits on both.

Unfortunately, I still do not actually have the cards yet!

Each welcome letter states I should be receiving my respective card within the next 5 business days, and to call if this is not the case.

I'm fairly certain I won't have a problem now, but, Citi has been known to do some serious about faces on issues of approval. A year ago or so when I was churning I got a call saying I was approved and if I'd like to re-allocate some credit line from one of my existing accounts to this 'new' account. I agreed and was told to expect the card in 5-7 business days. Well, to make a long story short, 2 weeks later no card arrived, and I called them back, whereby I was told that they reversed the decision from 'approved' to 'pending'. There's more gory details to this story, but, this is merely to highlight the fact I'm not going to do my dance of joy until I've actually got the cards in my hands. At least the difference from that case a year ago is this time I got the welcome letters indicating credit lines.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 14, 2010 at 11:53 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire

The reason for using 2 separate browsers is because people are applying for 2 cards on the same browser and getting accepted for the same card twice (due to not clearing cookies)...this has happened to a bunch of people earlier in the thread.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That still doesn't make sense. The URL for each application is quite different. Clearing cookies or not, is not going to prevent you from getting a message saying 'you already applied for this card' if you're stupid enough to actually apply for the same card. I didn't even think about clearing cookies or using a different browser when I applied for both cards.

I took the following 6 simple steps:

1) Clicked the Visa link
2) Used the already existing citi customer button to pre-fill the form
3) Clicked the submit button
4) Clicked the American Express link
5) Used the already existing citi customer button to pre-fill the form
6) Clicked the submit button

Took exactly 3 minutes to complete both applications, and as you can see by my previous posts (which I only share with you guys because former churners of the Citi AAdvantage cards would be interested), I ended up getting approved for both cards. There was no using different browsers or clearing cookies required.
The reality is it happens on a good number of people that their 2nd app turned out to be for the same card in the 1st app when they do not switch browser. It probably has something to do with their own computer settings as well.

To avoid this from happening the easiest way is to use 2 different browsers. It is just an elimination of an uncertain factor. There is no right way or wrong way of doing it.

Personally I prefer 2 browsers method just so one extra potentially troublesome factor is eliminated this way.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You misunderstand the reasons WHY 2 separate browsers / IP addresses should be used.

The 2 different browsers approach is NOT to minimize inquiries - which can be achieved 90% of the time by doing applications back to back on same day.

The 2 different browsers approach / delete cookies is to AVOID your 2nd application of a different card turned out to be the SAME version of your 1st application - this has happened to a good number of people and has been reported many times in the past - an ongoing issue for years if you will. The latest such report is as recent as late last week. I always do 1 in FF 1 in IE and press my 2nd submit button as soon as the 1st one came back with a screen (regardless what it says - as the 1st could stop at Step 3 but the 2nd got instant approval - happened before.)
Hrmm... ok, perhaps I was wrong for 'flying off the handle' at the other guys then. Truth is though, I've never had that problem. I notice that the urls are different for each card, and, when I click the link, I can clearly see it's showing me a different card that the one I previously just applied for. Had no clue that people were experiencing problems of the sort you describe. But, agreed, if in fact people are experiencing that sort of problem, a different browser or clearing cookies will help. As an aside, for you firefox fans out there, enabling multiple profiles, and using 2 different profiles for each application would also work. To do this, change your firefox start up from:

'path_to_firefox\firefox.exe'
to
'path_to_firefox\firefox.exe -ProfileManager'
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hrmm... ok, perhaps I was wrong for 'flying off the handle' at the other guys then. Truth is though, I've never had that problem. I notice that the urls are different for each card, and, when I click the link, I can clearly see it's showing me a different card that the one I previously just applied for. Had no clue that people were experiencing problems of the sort you describe. But, agreed, if in fact people are experiencing that sort of problem, a different browser or clearing cookies will help. As an aside, for you firefox fans out there, enabling multiple profiles, and using 2 different profiles for each application would also work. To do this, change your firefox start up from:

'path_to_firefox\firefox.exe'
to
'path_to_firefox\firefox.exe -ProfileManager'
They did, too. That is why they were all caught by surprise when the final screen showed their 2nd card turned into the 1st card version.

It probably also has something to do with people's own computer set up.

It is more involved to use 2 different profiles in your FF as described, then simply use IE and FF simultaneously. This is the easiest path to follow, no additional work involved to delete the cookie, change the profile etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.