Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: M&M, IHG
Why so angry?
He did not mentioned a city pair.
He did not mentioned an airline.
He did not mentioned a total price
He said nothing.
The coding of other users here is much more detailed.

And he had not spoken about your often posted C2-C4 eco/biz deal.
So what is the problem?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:28 pm

He posted too many details. usually giving BF is already risky, and adding the trick is way too much. Acually, in my eyes, he posted almost everything. I mean, you guys post it for what reason here? This is my question. Fun? Proud? Excitement? Information? Do you plan to fly it (provided the destination country would open)? If yes - do you want to kill it? C2-C3 with a total price would be fairly enough.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by man4business
He posted too many details. usually giving BF is already risky, and adding the trick is way too much. Acually, in my eyes, he posted almost everything. I mean, you guys post it for what reason here? This is my question. Fun? Proud? Excitement? Information? Do you plan to fly it (provided the destination country would open)? If yes - do you want to kill it? C2-C3 with a total price would be fairly enough.
What are you going on about?? Unless they edited the post there is nothing there that would "kill the deal" any sooner than anything else posted here, including posts by you.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:44 pm

Do you see any difference in tricks with 3x and... let's say more risky or more complex? A good post in this thread should be limited to absolute minimum but enough to decode, and not with a clear and easy pointer. Read the rules in the Wiki. Actually posting BFs should be exeptional. Posting both BF and the trick is just an abuse. Well if you know this trick you know for sure what I mean.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:45 pm

---duplicate--
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Do you see any difference in tricks with 3x and... let's say more risky or more complex? A good post in this thread should be limited to absolute minimum but enough to decode, and not with a clear and easy pointer. Read the rules in the Wiki. Actually posting BFs should be exeptional. Posting both BF and the trick is just an abuse. Well if you know this trick you know for sure what I mean.
Ok. I've been in this thread before it was a thread and before a wiki existed and nothing they posted is wrong or against any rules. You should read the wiki and then move on.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:09 pm

Code your tricks. Short explanation. Giving both BF and the trick is disclosing, not coding.
nutsey likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: Tinder Plus
You are both somehow correct. @skunker bear in mind that times have changed. The number of tricks that died with 3x in the last 5 years is enormous. In the past, disclosing BF and construction was relatively normal, and no one was bothered about it, but you could pretty much dump most airlines with 3x. Nowadays, that is not the case, and there are only a few airlines left where you can cut 100% YQ with 3x. For that reason, those tricks are more precious than they used to be, so I understand man4business concerns. Looking at the posts in the last two years, you will barely see any tricks with x3, implying that most tricks posted here involve taking a significant risk. I somehow agree with man4business that disclosing BF, construction, and the limited number of airlines flying currently from C2-C3; is perhaps a little too much.
@Silberpanda, don’t you think that disclosing the total price is safer than BF?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:07 am

edited

Last edited by maxvor; Nov 27, 2021 at 6:21 am Reason: difference of opinions not worthy of discussing further
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:17 am

You cannot dump any airline with 3x, this is the fact, not the speculation. There are very few left nowadays. And of course we care about the low BFs, not "any fares". People who are aware of FD know that the most important rule is to keep it secret. I do not mean not to share ideas but not destroying with silly posting here. In addition, this particular example is a very old trick with the improved efficiency. I doubt it will expire, unless the airline switches to fares with no YQ at all (what I can actually observe for their other fares).
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thanaset
C2 - C3 with almost all 3x
BF €25.14, book by 29NOV21
FYI:

C2-C3-C2-C3 is cheaper and this one is the best fare to the famous second airports in this country.

It works from many airports in many countries in C2 and from the airport with cheapest BF might not be cheaper from the other airports that close to your place.
nutsey likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:06 pm

Lightbulb Base fare comparison/knowldege

I wonder if there's a tool that can help me figure out low base fares on any given airline and or broad range of city/pair. EF, GDS access can provide BF information, but one must first know route, i.e. for JFK-DUB.

What I am looking for is show me all BF < £5 on AA or any airline for that matter. Or which airline offer 5$ BF between C1-C2 and so..on.
So essentially knowing just low BF, without having any specific route in the mind.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:35 pm

No such a tool (I mean: a service allowing a massive information retrieval) because it is useless for people in general. Those who are interested usualy perform data scraping form ITA Matrix, which is not so difficult but still one has to predefine a list of input parameters (airports, dates, time span, etc). Honestly, it is not very helpful unless you mean a bot which would constantly monitor prices.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:48 am

No such a tool (I mean: a service allowing a massive information retrieval) because it is useless for people in general. Those who are interested usualy perform data scraping form ITA Matrix, which is not so difficult but still one has to predefine a list of input parameters (airports, dates, time span, etc). Honestly, it is not very helpful unless you mean a bot which would constantly monitor prices.
Actually there was precisely a tool for this until a couple of years ago. The tool exist even today..but this feature has been removed as you rightly mentioned that it isn't of any use to probably 99.99% of the ordinary travellers. Building such a tool isn't complicated if one has the muscles and the will to do so. GF (QPX), Kiwi, EF etc.. easily has access to the underlying BF.. but they capture data only for total fare and not BF only. So gathering this information isn't a big deal for the giants in the industry, but there is not a business case to do so.

Scrapping this information manually/programmatically is a waste of time & resources..since the information is highly dynamic. By the time one has gathered the the data for .00001% of the available routes/flights.. the information is already stale and thereby useless. Like I said, to use this information meaningfully and in time, this operation requires muscles/will power & of course the moolah.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:55 am

There was once a Czech web page (the address I do not remember) which actually was showing BFs, but it did not allow for selecions like "*". Of course expertflyer does the job but this is tedious and only for specified pair of airports. I do not agree that it is so highly dynamic, you really do not need the full database of all airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.