Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kewldude21
Get out of here. I have no time for your silly post.
What do you then have time for?? At 75 posts, you're clearly still a newbie and don't remember you ever posting anything insightful. Till you do, pl just chill and keep your color commentary to yourself. Just because you don't understand what is being written, doesn't make it silly...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by anandrag
What do you then have time for?? At 75 posts, you're clearly still a newbie and don't remember you ever posting anything insightful. Till you do, pl just chill and keep your color commentary to yourself. Just because you don't understand what is being written, doesn't make it silly...
I think the guy was a bit sarcastic, or maybe I misinterpret it...

Last edited by maxvor; Jul 13, 2016 at 5:39 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by anandrag
Really newbie? Little soldier? Old customer?
use some immagination
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:51 am

It is nothing but a rookie mistake to draw inferences from ones number of posts to his skill level.

I know many people with less than 10 posts - some do not even have an account here - who have greater FD-skills than FT-members with 3,000+ posts.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:55 am
Suspended

OTA Quirks

You can probably classify these OTA quirks into 2 types:

(1) normal itineraries with multiple carriers – OTA picks the carrier with the least or no YQ to misvalidate the ticket causing a dump. This includes OTAs which shop around for POS locations for optimal IATA BSPlink quirks.

(2) You add a strike flown by another carrier leading the OTA to misvalidate the itinerary’s ticket causing a dump.

Since the GDS user won’t ticket these himself (due to fear of getting an ADM from airline), you only use the GDS to analyze what is going on and learn more from the misvalidation. Chances are you cannot use ITA Matrix because you cannot force it to misvalidate.

The interesting thing about this is that misvalidation on some OTAs are quite repeatable.
Have fun finding your own quirk.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by RangeXT
It is nothing but a rookie mistake to draw inferences from ones number of posts to his skill level.

I know many people with less than 10 posts - some do not even have an account here - who have greater FD-skills than FT-members with 3,000+ posts.
I am not drawing inference just from that. Also from the content and commentary...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Igetit
(1) normal itineraries with multiple carriers – OTA picks the carrier with the least or no YQ to misvalidate the ticket causing a dump. This includes OTAs which shop around for POS locations for optimal IATA BSPlink quirks.
You don't need multiple carriers for BSP quirks - on the other hand I've yet to see any OTA automatically going around looking for advantageous locations for dumps. The most I've seen were US portals using UK availability (and thus POS) for flights, which is great for the customer (and for them since they can undercut the competition) but this has everything to do with availability, not dumping.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: Le Blue
C0 - C0 no appetizer Total:€ 228,15

Last edited by Flyinghobby; Dec 25, 2022 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: A3 Gold IB Gold
delete

Last edited by lukas1988; Jul 13, 2016 at 11:12 pm Reason: double post
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: A3 Gold IB Gold
If you know some OTA tricks you can buy it for 110E(risk but i got a ticket).For Everybody price can be 150E ALL IN
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Longhaul 1Xs

C2 ( several airports but especially Italy) - SIN/BKK/HKG can now be used as highly flyable 1Xs if constructed correctly.

Same for several "Mediterranean Coast Airports " ( but not Italy) - Central Asia Kyrgystan which drops C1-C3 R/T itinerary to $ 323.40.
A much shorter 1X can bring price to $ 244,50.

For medium-long usable 1X use CPH/LON/TLL/RIX-Asia Minor and get C1-C3 for $ 295.77 All-in R/T.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 15, 2016 at 6:27 am
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: QFF
Like so many before me, I'm just a newbie with a question after reading hundreds and hundreds of pages here. I'm C6 based, which seems less common with posts.

Is it possible to FD/trick a 1W trip? Only see RT's mentioned generally.

Heading SYD-CMN 1W in Feb17. Not begging, just asking if possible to save good money on 1W tickets. If not, guess it's my bad luck.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: SW-A list preferred , Alaska -MVP Gold , Marriott - Platinum , HHonors - Diamond , Hyatt - Diamond
Hope I dont get flamed for asking this ques:

Found a 1x for C1e-C3 which is in the middle of nowhere . Can it be skipped ?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: SW-A list preferred , Alaska -MVP Gold , Marriott - Platinum , HHonors - Diamond , Hyatt - Diamond

Last edited by user2013; Jul 17, 2016 at 1:52 am Reason: duplicate
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by user2013
Hope I dont get flamed for asking this ques:

Found a 1x for C1e-C3 which is in the middle of nowhere . Can it be skipped ?
I hope the question is not a sarky trap in order to flame the person who asked the preceding question.

That's proper FT paranoia. I wonder how many people hold back sharing their questions and findings purely because they are not keen to have a bunch of anonymous strangers ridiculing their efforts.

I wouldn't skip the 1x; there is a small chance that skipping it will go unnoticed and a large chance that it will not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.