Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

The 2008 End of Year MR Thread..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2008 End of Year MR Thread..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Thanks for looking for me, will really appreciate any help.
DL has a 500 minimum policy, and thats where the JAX-ATL segment makes up for the gap. Or that's what the calculator says (http://fly.qux.us/smcalc/)
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Silly me, forgot about the 500 minimum. Been flying too much UA .

Chris
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:47 pm
jcc

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tclin
IAD-ORD-MKE-ORD-ORF-IAD on Dec 6 (Sat)
$172.00 all-in
Perfect. Brilliant. Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by esdede
I'm reading & trying to learn, but haven't figured out the routing yet. I have subscribed to ExpertFlyer & looking at Expedia, etc. honestly trying on my own. Like several others, I get stuck on trying to find the routing rules. So I will be completely *grateful* for help.

My SO and I both need 6500 miles to keep our Gold & Silver statuses on DL. We are free any weekend in December to make a MR.

Looking for something on DL, preferably from ATL, but could also go from BHM or GSP or CHA if that helps. International is fine by us. Ideally I would like to keep it under $400 (each), but the lower the better given the economy.

Many thanks in advance.
I haven't seen anything from any of those cities that accrues 6500 miles for under $400. The closest I found when looking was 6147 miles for $405 on NW (which you can accrue skymiles on).
bhm-mem-msp-sea-pdx-msp-dtw-atl-bhm the first two weekends of December. Any additional segments increases the price even more.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:27 pm

Need 26,186 AA miles for EXP

Currently AA Plat.

Having been UA 1K for many years (until UA essentially pulled out of the NYC market save hub bound flights), I'm getting itchy for AA's EXP status as that will earn me EVIPs type upgrades that I used to enjoy on UA.

A forthcoming trip will bring me closer to EXP; I will then be missing 26,186 miles.

Since I don't want to count on business trips that may or may not happen, I'm looking for new ideas to make up the gap. Flying EWR-DFW-FRA-DFW-EWR a couple times is one way to make up the difference as that had good fares earlier this year and has turn around times.

Ideally I'd like to keep this to two day weekends, but 3 days weekends are possible. Naturally, the idea is to keep this as low cost as possible, flying out of NYC.

I welcome ideas; thanks in advance.

Last edited by Globehopper; Nov 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm
Old Nov 2, 2008, 2:12 am

Globehopper, from the West Coast it would be easier to make up those miles to Europe than your neck of the woods.

If I were you, I'd strongly consider Asia, i.e. SIN or JKT via JL codeshare for one of your trips (~20k EQM's) for a 3-night weekend, then a day-trip transcon for the other one (plenty of $300 Q fares to SFO/LAX).

Find them via Farecompare/ITA then book on AA. Good luck!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Currently AA Plat.

Having been UA 1K for many years (until UA essentially pulled out of the NYC market save hub bound flights), I'm getting itchy for AA's EXP status as that will earn me EVIPs type upgrades that I used to enjoy on UA.

A forthcoming trip will bring me closer to EXP; I will then be missing 26,186 miles.

Since I don't want to count on business trips that may or may not happen, I'm looking for new ideas to make up the gap. Flying EWR-DFW-FRA-DFW-EWR a couple times is one way to make up the difference as that had good fares earlier this year and has turn around times.

Ideally I'd like to keep this to two day weekends, but 3 days weekends are possible. Naturally, the idea is to keep this as low cost as possible, flying out of NYC.

I welcome ideas; thanks in advance.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge of OW earning, but you can do LGA-ORD-MAD-JNB-MAD-JFK with some legs on AA and others on IB for $898 all-in. Comes out just under 5 cpm, but it leaves Sat, comes back Tues, and gives 18,562 miles if you earn 100% in O class on IB. To get this price "trick it" (if you don't know what that means, see multiple threads in this forum). Sample dates, LGA-ORD-MAD (12/6) MAD-JNB-MAD (12/8) MAD-JFK (12/9).

Chris
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Need help on AA from IND

I thought I probably wouldn't make it to PLT this year, but my fiance just asked me the other day if we should try to get some MRs in before the end of the year to make sure we get our status. Since it was his idea, I figure if we decide it's worth it to pursue the MRs, I'm thinking we could get him signed up for the PLT challenge and get him to PLT for 2009 as well. Here's my info, in case anyone wants to help out:

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present: 34,387 (segments never work for me, it's always been miles. That said, I have 20 segments at present)

2. How many more miles/segments will it take to reach your goal: 15,613

3. Where are you are based: IND

4. Whether or not there is some place specific that you would really like to go: LAS, SFO, TPA, well, heck, pretty much anywhere except Tucson or LA.

5. Dates you are available to travel are must a must - in both directions, please! Anytime between Dec. 1 and Dec. 20.

6. Also, it would help if you mentioned the budget, please! I wouldn't mind keeping it under $800 per person, total, if possible. Anybody think it's possible? LOL

TIA for anyone who can help me.

GG
Old Nov 2, 2008, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Hi Stacey !

I would go for a 4 segment trip to the closest Eagle destinations. I dont know about the possibilities but BOS, DCA & ORD come to my mind.

500 Miles minimums are your friend here

Cheers,
Thank you, I will try this and report back!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
I thought I probably wouldn't make it to PLT this year, but my fiance just asked me the other day if we should try to get some MRs in before the end of the year to make sure we get our status. Since it was his idea, I figure if we decide it's worth it to pursue the MRs, I'm thinking we could get him signed up for the PLT challenge and get him to PLT for 2009 as well. Here's my info, in case anyone wants to help out:
Are you willing to go international? You can pick up north of 11K miles on an overnight to FRA if you route via DFW both ways, though the good fare I'm seeing on December 6 is about 10,500 for $650 (N fares) via ORD going and DFW & STL coming back.

Asia would get you more miles but is much more expensive (~$1400 r/t these days).
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:37 am

GeoGirl, try IND-HNL-IND ... Dec 6-11 gives a Q-fare of $456 for 9600 miles routing through multiple hubs on AA.com. Play with Multi-City option.

Actually 2 trips to Hawaii in Dec. should get you there (Q-fare), provided you stay 3 nights.

Last edited by ntamayo; Nov 3, 2008 at 1:42 am
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: DL
More miles for ATL-SEA trip on DL?

Working the end of the year mileage to make PM on DL. I have a few more legimitate trips I need to take and wondering if I can significantly boost my MQMs earned from a ATL-SEA trip I have to take (say 3,500 or better miles vs. the sandard 2,182). Hoping to do this to avoid (or limit a MR). This is my first time working with the tools, but I tried ITA, but could only seem to gain about 300miles.

I normally fly out of ATL but could also fly out of MCN (Macon, GA). Can leave ATL anytime on 12/7 6PM and must arrive SEA by 12/8 6PM. Leave SEA anytime on 12/11 or 12/12. Pricing just needs to be <= a normal ATL-SEA fare so I can book and expense. Thoughts?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
Not exactly a MR puzzle

I realize this isn't a traditional MR, because I'm going for the destination, and I'm not concerned about CPM. That said, I'm new(er) to UA, and I know the experts reside here.

My wife is being sent on a business trip to SE Asia in December, and I'm trying to leave IAD/DCA/BWI around December 12, to meet her in BKK, then returning around December 21st - a bit flexible on each end. I'm recently UA-loyal, and I'm about 9,000 miles short of 1P for the year. That said, for a trip that long E+ doesn't sound all that exciting.

Ignoring the cost of the ticket for a moment, I also have 60,000+ RDMs, a friend willing to donate 2 SWUs to the cause, and access to 200,000+ Amex Rewards points.

I'm hoping for any suggestions on how to attack this, as I've already been through several options, including:

1) Using the Amex points to buy the ticket, then using the miles or SWUs to upgrade (+mileage accrual, +no cash, -can't find upgrade availability)
2) Transferring the Amex points to Air Canada to do some sort of Star Alliance award ticket, but can't find availability (+C or F?, -no mileage accrual)
3) Using Amex points to buy the ticket on UA, then putting cash aside to hope for a buy-up to C at OLCI or the gate

Any ideas from FT experts would be much appreciated, thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA super MR needed - 39,000 miles

Hello all -

This is my first post ever and I'm in trouble. AA did not count my trip to Fiji earlier this year and now I need to do 2 serious MR's before year end. I can do both from AUS, or one from AUS and the other from NYC. Don't have long stay requirement (prefer 0 or 1 night) and can go any day of the week. Was thinking about AUS-ORD-DEL-ORD-AUS on a 24 hour stay (quickie to Taj Mahal), but it's $1600 and while that can be a good 1st MR, what should the other one be? Any ideas for creative destinations?? Should I try something else? I have 4 VIP's left so prefer long segements on AA. SIN (no overnight stay), NRT, EZE, FRA, PVG are ideas.

thanks all!!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Aus - del mr+

You can stretch the trip to DEL a bit by detouring through LAX each way:

AUS-LAX-DFW-ORD-DEL-ORD-LAX-DFW-AUS, 21732mi, $1454 a.i., Nov 15-16/18

Looked for best 2-night fare AUS-DEL using Flexible Dates, then switched to Multi-City plugging in AUS-LAX (Early Morning), LAX-DEL (Morning), DEL-LAX (Early morning) and LAX-AUS (Afternoon).

eVIP's should help LAX-DEL/DEL-LAX and hopefully the AUS-LAX/LAX-AUS can be upgraded without them. I'd hate to do this trip in Y ...

happy landings,
benzguy80

PS: don't forget to get a visa since you plan on leaving the DEL airport

Originally Posted by exoticaustin
Hello all -

This is my first post ever and I'm in trouble. AA did not count my trip to Fiji earlier this year and now I need to do 2 serious MR's before year end. I can do both from AUS, or one from AUS and the other from NYC. Don't have long stay requirement (prefer 0 or 1 night) and can go any day of the week. Was thinking about AUS-ORD-DEL-ORD-AUS on a 24 hour stay (quickie to Taj Mahal), but it's $1600 and while that can be a good 1st MR, what should the other one be? Any ideas for creative destinations?? Should I try something else? I have 4 VIP's left so prefer long segements on AA. SIN (no overnight stay), NRT, EZE, FRA, PVG are ideas.

thanks all!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.