Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

The 2008 End of Year MR Thread..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2008 End of Year MR Thread..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by ssh
One more thing... I have 4 SWUs and am thinking of taking one of my daughters along... I'm not clear which booking class needs to be available for the SWUs...
Per United Airlines, SWU apply to business booking class C, D, and economy booking class Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W. If you buy via .bomb, there's a drop-down menu that allows you to check for applicability on your itin.

As for your MR, I'm too sleepy to figure out the miles, but besides SIN, you may want to consider SYD, MEL, or DXB.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Looks like I will need UA 15-20K (if I buy 5K) to reach 1K. (I'm feeling so close to 1K I can smell it. Never been and am wondering if I should try for it?)
Need SFO/SJC/OAK Fri. nite to Mon. afternoon. Any help would be much appreciated.
TIA
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
AA: 10000 miles Needed (LAX)

Quite frankly I am a little lost on how to even begin, despite reading the "How to" stuff posted on Flyer Talk. Any help would be appreciated on a good mileage runs. Am near LAX, though SBA would also work.

Departure anytime between Nov 9 and return by the 17th would work. I can also do it the first week of December. Europe would be fine with a couple of days for a stopover; LHR, MAD, or wherever works. HNL is fine too, perhaps via NYC or somewhere in the NE. Am looking to do this on the cheap (under $1000) but might as well try and make something interesting of it as well. Destination suggestions are gladly welcomed.

Thanks very much.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:19 pm

AA: looking for the last 15k

Looking for 15k on AA from DFW on a wknd in late nov. possibly early dec. to hit EP. Hopefully spending less than 7 or 800.
Saw the DFW-SFO-ORD-FRA-ORD-SEA-DFW posting but pricing it with AA- gives me fares ranging from $1250 on the wknd of the 21st which is far more than the superstars on this list are finding. Also tried the ITA site- and even with AA metal it gives me far too direct a series of routes through small airports all in a line instead of the beautiful zigzags you all fly.
any help appreciated.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How to find routing

Originally Posted by sbm12
Look at SAN-FLL. A bit of creativity in the routing and $240 should get you everything you need. There are fares published as low as $180++ but I didn't dig too hard for available seats. ITA has plenty of options showing.

It might not be sexy, but it gets the job done.

Enjoy.
Thanks, I see the fare on ITA but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add segments/miles. I've read VPescado's thread on how to construct an MR but am still having trouble. How do you figure out what segments to add in for additional mileage? I've looked at Expedia and can't even see the routing rules. Here's the only reference I see to routing:

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 O7RDN O R 198.00 R06MR 7/1 -/ - 2
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-SAN TO-MIA CXR-AA TVL-03DEC08 RULE-4040 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-O7RDN SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XPN RT-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE-TYPE FARES
USD 184.19 0002 E18OCT08 D06MAR09 FC-O7RDN FN-6M
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 18OCT08/1631 EXPIRES INFINITY

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by reubencahn; Oct 28, 2008 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by reubencahn
Thanks, I see the fare on ITA but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add segments/miles. I've read VPescado's thread on how to construct an MR but am still having trouble. How do you figure out what segments to add in for additional mileage? I've looked at Expedia and can't even see the routing rules. Here's the only reference I see to routing:
Don't worry about those routing rules; you don't actually need to be all that creative to make it work, and knowing the AA hubs will get you pretty far in the search. Going via DFW one way and via ORD the other is 5195 miles, which gets you what you need. I searched on ITA in the month-long search using the following specs:

To: fll::aa ord aa+
Duration: 1 Night
That forces the return to route via ORD. That will give you the results with a bunch of $240 entries there. Pick the day you want to fly and you'll see all the options that can be booked for the $240 fare. Armed with that information search on AA.com using SAN, FLL, the dates and the Schedule + Price search method. Find the $99 options on the matrix and make sure that you're routing via ORD at least one direction.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbm12
Don't worry about those routing rules; you don't actually need to be all that creative to make it work, and knowing the AA hubs will get you pretty far in the search. Going via DFW one way and via ORD the other is 5195 miles, which gets you what you need. I searched on ITA in the month-long search using the following specs:

To: fll::aa ord aa+
Duration: 1 Night
That forces the return to route via ORD. That will give you the results with a bunch of $240 entries there. Pick the day you want to fly and you'll see all the options that can be booked for the $240 fare. Armed with that information search on AA.com using SAN, FLL, the dates and the Schedule + Price search method. Find the $99 options on the matrix and make sure that you're routing via ORD at least one direction.
Thanks. That worked beautifully.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks. That worked beautifully.
Glad to hear it. Happy flying!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
5779 *A from PHX or YYZ

Hi Folks -

Just calculated and it looks like I will be roughly 5800 miles short of AC Super Elite with what I currently have booked.

I have 2 options:

1. MR from PHX on either Nov 9th or 10th (back to PHX or LAS for the 10th)

2. MR from YYZ/BUF for various dates in the last week of Nov or most of December

I tried ITA and Kayak but didn't see much (and honestly haven't played around since dreammaps, so forgive my search capabilities).

Anyone have any good suggestions? I would love to stay until $300 but I'm not sure I have seen anything that works for that amount.

Thanks for any assistance!

T.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sandyweb33
Looks like I will need UA 15-20K (if I buy 5K) to reach 1K. (I'm feeling so close to 1K I can smell it. Never been and am wondering if I should try for it?)
Need SFO/SJC/OAK Fri. nite to Mon. afternoon. Any help would be much appreciated.
TIA
While I don't really need the competition for upgrades, etc, I'd say go for it if you're so close.

The six SWUs alone are worth it. Throw in the (up to 8) CR1s, priority for op-ups and bumps, and generally being a Most Exalted Passenger, and I'd actually say you were nuts for not doing it.

SFO - SYD/MEL is 80% of what you need, and currently going for the $750 or so range.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:51 am

I have been searching ITA trying to find the best way to get the most segs or miles from TYS to MCO. I am traveling for business and need to be in Orlando atleast one day. I would like to try and get as many segs or miles in on Sat 11/29 or Sun 11/30. I need 19 segs or 20,000 miles. I think the segs are more attainable. I am looking to come back on 12/3. Can someone help me find something for around $400? You can PM if you need to. I just need some help.
Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by earningmywings
Looking for 15k on AA from DFW on a wknd in late nov. possibly early dec. to hit EP. Hopefully spending less than 7 or 800.
Saw the DFW-SFO-ORD-FRA-ORD-SEA-DFW posting but pricing it with AA- gives me fares ranging from $1250 on the wknd of the 21st which is far more than the superstars on this list are finding. Also tried the ITA site- and even with AA metal it gives me far too direct a series of routes through small airports all in a line instead of the beautiful zigzags you all fly.
any help appreciated.
Try early Dec and connections thru SFO-LHR-JFK-FRA and back. ITA and AA both show V fare for ~$965 all-in for 16k EQM's. The rest is up to you.

Granted you mentioned $800 max, but the eVIP's and domestic UG's when you hit EXP are easily worth the extra $165.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:14 am

I need 5,062 EQM on AA out of SAN to reach Exec Plat. Would like to go either the week of December 1 or week of December 15. Ideal would be to do this in one day, maybe a redeye followed by a return. I'm a complete MR newbie so any help is appreciated.
Try Tuesdays in December to BOS. Lot's of multi-stop options to net 6k EQM's for < $400 all-in. Use ITA to help with routing. Good luck.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vcruse13
Quite frankly I am a little lost on how to even begin, despite reading the "How to" stuff posted on Flyer Talk. Any help would be appreciated on a good mileage runs. Am near LAX, though SBA would also work.

Departure anytime between Nov 9 and return by the 17th would work. I can also do it the first week of December. Europe would be fine with a couple of days for a stopover; LHR, MAD, or wherever works. HNL is fine too, perhaps via NYC or somewhere in the NE. Am looking to do this on the cheap (under $1000) but might as well try and make something interesting of it as well. Destination suggestions are gladly welcomed.

Thanks very much.
Check out the mileage run posting for AA: NYC-SIN, for $1237 a/i.

Getting from LAX to NYC is also another mileage run posting - you could also do two of those RTs to meet 10K.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:20 am

Ok I have joined the rank of crazies out there...never been on an airplane unless I actually wanted to be at the other end

I am flying ORD-TVC-ORD-TVC-ORD this Saturday. Each segment was $65.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.