Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

The 2008 End of Year MR Thread..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2008 End of Year MR Thread..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NWDLCOAAUA
I have been searching ITA trying to find the best way to get the most segs or miles from TYS to MCO. I am traveling for business and need to be in Orlando atleast one day. I would like to try and get as many segs or miles in on Sat 11/29 or Sun 11/30. I need 19 segs or 20,000 miles. I think the segs are more attainable. I am looking to come back on 12/3. Can someone help me find something for around $400? You can PM if you need to. I just need some help.
Thanks.
You don't mention which carrier/alliance you are flying on. And your handle isn't much help in figuring it out.

I'd say that getting 20K miles or 19 segments is a stretch at this point, particularly if you want to stay domestic. And flying on Thanksgiving weekend isn't going to help your case. There aren't many routing options between TYS and MCO and there are very few on those dates for less than $400 without trying to get fancy on the effort.

If you can get to MCO and do your thing there early in the week you can then try to make a run from there before flying back to TYS. That's probably your best bet. But you're still not going to get anywhere close to 19 segments or 20K points, and definitely not for $400. Some more reasonable expectations would help.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:52 am

Sorry I didn't mention I need to fly NW. I have a $300 voucher. I knew it would be a stretch to get either miles or segs. Do you have any suggestions for getting the most miles? Is 5000 the most I am going to find for the price? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Check out the mileage run posting for AA: NYC-SIN, for $1237 a/i.

Getting from LAX to NYC is also another mileage run posting - you could also do two of those RTs to meet 10K.
Thanks for the help. Between this idea and some others I've learned this week (as well as already scheduled trips), I'll be busy but can easily make the requirement. What a great forum!!!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: WorldPerks Platinum, OnePass Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Silver
Need 11,000 EQM or 18 segments on Northwest from IAH

I'd appreciate any help to earn 11,000 EQM or 18 segments on Northwest to requalify. I'm based from IAH at the moment. I can't think of any restrictions. Of course I'd prefer to do it with as little cost in time and $ as possible.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tamminh
I'd appreciate any help to earn 11,000 EQM or 18 segments on Northwest to requalify. I'm based from IAH at the moment. I can't think of any restrictions. Of course I'd prefer to do it with as little cost in time and $ as possible.
There are a couple days of $650 flights IAH-MUC available on NW/KL. They often involve an overnight at AMS. With the 500 mile minimum you should end up at just over 11K points for that run. Not necessarily the cheapest, but certainly pretty quick.

There are quicker turns on DL metal to STR/DUS at the same price point but those are 5100+ and 5300+ miles each way so you'll probably be a little short.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:20 am
jcc

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
5 UA Segments ex ORD or IAD

Looking to spend around $400 on a segment run on a Friday or Saturday (ideally returning same day) to pick up 5 segments I need to renew 1K. I can either start from IAD or ORD but would prefer to return to IAD.

I will post what I find as I continue to investigate. Any direction around typical connections would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by jcc
Looking to spend around $400 on a segment run on a Friday or Saturday (ideally returning same day) to pick up 5 segments I need to renew 1K. I can either start from IAD or ORD but would prefer to return to IAD.

I will post what I find as I continue to investigate. Any direction around typical connections would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason
I'm sure I can find cheaper, but here's at least one option:

$363.50
IAD-DEN-EGE-DEN-ORD-IAD 12/6

(BTW, EGE is Vail/Eagle, CO)

Chris
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:11 am
jcc

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I'm sure I can find cheaper, but here's at least one option:

$363.50
IAD-DEN-EGE-DEN-ORD-IAD 12/6

(BTW, EGE is Vail/Eagle, CO)

Chris
Looking good - I'm playing with ORD->IND->ORD->EWR->IAD for $238 on 12/12 - only four segments but good price.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:22 pm

AA EXP- Maybe Need 1600 EQP

Ok- I have bee a steady AA PLT for a few years now with no trouble. This year, a few trips to Asia and I'll be at 98,600 EQP by November 23rd. How can I not even try to get to EXP...So here I am, clueless about MR and a bit freaked by the year end.

Here's my info:

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present: AA 98,600 EQP
2. Need 1400 EQP to qualify for EXP
3. I am based in NYC, but can only do a run on a weekend or while I am in FLL 11/29 to 12/6. Was thinking maybe FLL to DFW or FLL to ORD, but flights are all in deep ecomny class and yield 0.5 EQP per mile :-(
4. Nowhere specific I want to go, just somewhere I can get off the plane and come right back
5. Dates: Sun 11/30 to Fri 12/6 from FLL. Or any weekend day between then and the year end.
6. Budget- I am cheap and looking for the lowest cost per EQP

Even pointing to me a website where I can maybe search fares by booking class would help :-) Thanks in Advance
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
Originally Posted by jcc

Thanks,
Jason
IAD-ORD-MKE-ORD-ORF-IAD on Dec 6 (Sat)
$172.00 all-in
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL
MR from ATL on DL any w/e in December: need 6500

I'm reading & trying to learn, but haven't figured out the routing yet. I have subscribed to ExpertFlyer & looking at Expedia, etc. honestly trying on my own. Like several others, I get stuck on trying to find the routing rules. So I will be completely *grateful* for help.

My SO and I both need 6500 miles to keep our Gold & Silver statuses on DL. We are free any weekend in December to make a MR.

Looking for something on DL, preferably from ATL, but could also go from BHM or GSP or CHA if that helps. International is fine by us. Ideally I would like to keep it under $400 (each), but the lower the better given the economy.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: WorldPerks Platinum, OnePass Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Silver
Re: Need 11,000 EQM or 18 segments on Northwest from IAH

Originally Posted by sbm12
There are a couple days of $650 flights IAH-MUC available on NW/KL. They often involve an overnight at AMS. With the 500 mile minimum you should end up at just over 11K points for that run. Not necessarily the cheapest, but certainly pretty quick.

There are quicker turns on DL metal to STR/DUS at the same price point but those are 5100+ and 5300+ miles each way so you'll probably be a little short.
Wow, I'm amazed of the speed and the quality of the response. Thank you very much, sbm12! I've made reservation on for the Air France flights IAH-MUC (overnight in CDG) for $648. Since Northwest gives only 25% EQM for the actual miles flown on CDG-MUC-CDG, the total EQM will be 10,264. Then, after I carefully calculated the number of EQM I will need by the end of the year, I realized I actually will need only 8,056 EQM. So, unless you or some other kind & clever souls come up with a better value run, I'm going to take the IAH-MUC run. It's been already a tremendous help. Dare I expect more than that?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stacey131
Ok- I have bee a steady AA PLT for a few years now with no trouble. This year, a few trips to Asia and I'll be at 98,600 EQP by November 23rd. How can I not even try to get to EXP...So here I am, clueless about MR and a bit freaked by the year end.

Here's my info:

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present: AA 98,600 EQP
2. Need 1400 EQP to qualify for EXP
3. I am based in NYC, but can only do a run on a weekend or while I am in FLL 11/29 to 12/6. Was thinking maybe FLL to DFW or FLL to ORD, but flights are all in deep ecomny class and yield 0.5 EQP per mile :-(
4. Nowhere specific I want to go, just somewhere I can get off the plane and come right back
5. Dates: Sun 11/30 to Fri 12/6 from FLL. Or any weekend day between then and the year end.
6. Budget- I am cheap and looking for the lowest cost per EQP

Even pointing to me a website where I can maybe search fares by booking class would help :-) Thanks in Advance
Hi Stacey !

I would go for a 4 segment trip to the closest Eagle destinations. I dont know about the possibilities but BOS, DCA & ORD come to my mind.

500 Miles minimums are your friend here

Cheers,
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Need 5555 MQM to make Gold on Delta. Can fly out of ATL/JAX/TPA/MCO, in December. Bad part is something like JAX-ATL-SEA-ATL-JAX barely falls short (5364). Any suggestions? I am considering going triangular (JAX-JFK-LAX-ATL-JAX), probably won't be a cheap run in that case.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by BDG8R
Need 5555 MQM to make Gold on Delta. Can fly out of ATL/JAX/TPA/MCO, in December. Bad part is something like JAX-ATL-SEA-ATL-JAX barely falls short (5364). Any suggestions? I am considering going triangular (JAX-JFK-LAX-ATL-JAX), probably won't be a cheap run in that case.
JAX-ATL-SEA-ATL-JAX is actually only 4903, so you have more making up that you thought. I'm not all that familiar with SkyTeam mileage earning, but you could go JAX-MEM-DTW-SEA-DTW-JAX on NW for 5839 miles for $214.50, sample date 12/9.

Chris

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Nov 1, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.