Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by NWR
For example I'd like to limit the number of stops to not less than 3 stops with *alliance. Anyone know code that works?
If you really mean minimum three stops (ie minimum four flights), have you tried:-

f f f f f? f? f? / alliance star-alliance
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:14 am

MR from LAX

I am looking to do a MR from LAX beginning on Mar 5, perhaps returning through ORD on Mar 7 (could do a hidden city). Thought perhaps about PVG, returning through HND (to avoid visa cost in PVG) but couldn't get it to work on ITA. Any suggestions?

Or any suggestions of a different mile run on Mar 5 from LAX ending in ORD or MKE?

Note: fly on AA
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
This looks really cool, but I always run into trouble trying to combine things. E.g., I'm trying to restrict one segment to an AA 77W:

Code:
SAN :: o:aa  dfw o:aa lhr,mad / aircraft t:77w o:ba,ib
When I click search, it changes
Code:
o:ba,ib
to
Code:
o:ba;ib
(changes the comma to a semicolon) and tells me there is a syntax error at "ib". If I take out the
Code:
/ aircraft t:77w
then it works.

Also, can I restrict a segment to no shorter than some amount? E.g., if I don't want an overnight flight shorter than 9 hours.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:08 pm

On the Fly (ITASoftware's iOS app)

I tried out On the Fly. Is there a way to get it to search for business or first?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by anabolism
I tried out On the Fly. Is there a way to get it to search for business or first?
I use the app solely for when family/friends text me while I'm on the go asking for my help in finding cheap airfares. I never bother using it for myself as there's no way to input nearly the level of options, including routing codes, that you can on the website.

I really wish they'd unlock an "advanced mode" on the app that at least allowed inputting the routing language.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:46 am

Theres a button on the top left for 'More Options' that lets you then select cabin type
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:19 pm

Slash codes only apply to entire outbound or inbound?

It appears from trying it that slash codes (e.g., '/ aircraft t:77w') must be after all per-leg options and therefore can't apply to one leg only, but must be for the entire outbound or inbound. Is that right, or is there a way to apply a restriction to a leg? For example, I may be happy with a 767 on short legs but not overwater.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:43 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

It appears from trying it that slash codes (e.g., '/ aircraft t:77w') must be after all per-leg options and therefore can't apply to one leg only, but must be for the entire outbound or inbound.
That is correct.

Is that right, or is there a way to apply a restriction to a leg? For example, I may be happy with a 767 on short legs but not overwater.
You would need to use the Multi-City search for this.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by benjyyy
Theres a button on the top left for 'More Options' that lets you then select cabin type
Cool, thanks!

Originally Posted by KVS
You would need to use the Multi-City search for this.
Oh well.

The ITA software is very cool. Out of curiosity, what's the reason ITA is doing this? I understand they license the back-end to airlines and travel agencies, but why are they being so nice to us travelers? Is it just to get wider exposure to how people want to search and see results?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:22 pm
NWR

Programs: UA 1K
I'd like to fly specifically SFO-any major mid-west or east coast city-SEA-NRT-SIN via UA. I've tried various advanced coding with no luck, including: ua+ was,bos,atl,nyc,ord ua+ sea ua nrt ua+
The result is always "no flights found". But I doubt that's true. Anyone have any advice? To many variables? Thank you.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Cabin type, save Premium Economy....help a brutha out! Next revision please...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by NWR
I'd like to fly specifically SFO-any major mid-west or east coast city-SEA-NRT-SIN via UA. I've tried various advanced coding with no luck, including: ua+ was,bos,atl,nyc,ord ua+ sea ua nrt ua+
The result is always "no flights found". But I doubt that's true. Anyone have any advice? To many variables? Thank you.
Yeah, ITA seems to have reduced bandwidth and too many ua+'s may be choking the search. Try
ua was,bos,atl,nyc,ord ua sea ua nrt ua
to start with. Later, if you narrow down certain options, you can try ua+ in others. Better yet, increase the number of flights incrementally, eg, "ua ua?" instead of ua+.

Last edited by aktchi; Nov 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reason: Typo!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, AmexP, PriorityPass, Hotels, Cards
Thank you! Reading the tips and playing with ITA is addicting. Looking forward to my next adventure and future meetup
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: QF Platinum/Lifetime Gold, LH Senator, AF Platinum
Does anybody know if you can combine alliances into a single query? For example, I don't mind if I fly Star Alliance or Oneworld, as I get status benefits (and need to retain them) in both. So would only like to restrict my query to airlines only in either of these alliances - without doing two separate queries. Entering each individual airline is a painful process......
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by traveller1971
Does anybody know if you can combine alliances into a single query? For example, I don't mind if I fly Star Alliance or Oneworld, as I get status benefits (and need to retain them) in both. So would only like to restrict my query to airlines only in either of these alliances - without doing two separate queries. Entering each individual airline is a painful process......
Hmm, can you negate (with -) the alliance flag? Haven't tried, but wonder if the syntax would work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.