Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
Definitely trickier - you have to build it out segment by segment, but given the marketing carrier, the fare code, and the fare for that segment the site will calculate the LPs for that leg. You can then add additional segments to tally up a total (the option for the multi-segment plan appears at the bottom after you add the first segment).

nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by jef787
Definitely trickier - you have to build it out segment by segment, but given the marketing carrier, the fare code, and the fare for that segment the site will calculate the LPs for that leg. You can then add additional segments to tally up a total (the option for the multi-segment plan appears at the bottom after you add the first segment).
Yes, the "fare for that segment" is the hard part I think. Unless there's a trick to figure that out.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:49 am

What tool are you using to construct / book the fares segment by segment ? I tried doing this yesterday with the below steps.
  1. Find a date that has R fare JFK-TYO marketed and operated by AA
  2. Find a date that has C fare TYO-SYD-CGK and CGK-SYD-TYO marketed by QF
  3. Then find a date that has R fare TYO-JFK
  4. I did the above 3 steps on expertflyer
  5. Then tried to do a multi-city search on google flights, oldmatrix, AA.com and few OTAs and I wasn't able to force the fare to be under $4k
Although I am pretty easily able to price something like JFK-LAX-TYO // TYO-KUL-CGK // CGK-NRT-SEA // SEA-JFK for ~$2700.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by su9062
What tool are you using to construct / book the fares segment by segment ? I tried doing this yesterday with the below steps.
  1. Find a date that has R fare JFK-TYO marketed and operated by AA
  2. Find a date that has C fare TYO-SYD-CGK and CGK-SYD-TYO marketed by QF
  3. Then find a date that has R fare TYO-JFK
  4. I did the above 3 steps on expertflyer
  5. Then tried to do a multi-city search on google flights, oldmatrix, AA.com and few OTAs and I wasn't able to force the fare to be under $4k
Although I am pretty easily able to price something like JFK-LAX-TYO // TYO-KUL-CGK // CGK-NRT-SEA // SEA-JFK for ~$2700.
Easiest is to use ITA Matrix (I still much prefer the old version) along with Powertools and then deeplink to an OTA.
EDIT: just re-read your question. I think the problem you're going to run into is searching segment by segment on EF won't give you the availability for the whole direction. Just because R is available for sale on JFK-TYO doesn't mean it will be available for JFK-CGK.

Seems pretty easy to me. This is with inventory turned off:

This is with inventory turned on. Notice the AA code on JL metal isn't available on the outbound:

Last edited by skunker; Oct 21, 2022 at 11:11 am
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:14 pm

Thank you Skunker, is there an easy way to see what dates work for each segment ?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Easiest is to use ITA Matrix (I still much prefer the old version) along with Powertools and then deeplink to an OTA.
EDIT: just re-read your question. I think the problem you're going to run into is searching segment by segment on EF won't give you the availability for the whole direction. Just because R is available for sale on JFK-TYO doesn't mean it will be available for JFK-CGK.

This is with inventory turned on. Notice the AA code on JL metal isn't available on the outbound:

Can you please post a screenshot of your Matrix inputs before you are clicking search ? I am unable to repro this even entering the exact dates.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Can you please post a screenshot of your Matrix inputs before you are clicking search ? I am unable to repro this even entering the exact dates.
Did you turn inventory off, like the poster said? That's probably why.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Did you turn inventory off, like the poster said? That's probably why.
Thank you. I was trying to see what inventory turning off meant. That helped.

To my earlier question though, how would one go about finding a date that has inventory ? Would expertflyer be able to help ?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

To my earlier question though, how would one go about finding a date that has inventory ? Would expertflyer be able to help ?
itamatrix with flexible dates and a lot of spare time is your best bet, I'm sure.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Expertflyer is definitely a huge help trying to find the inventory, if you use +/- 3 days in your search then you get a whole week of inventory in the tabs. Bear in mind AA uses a lot of married segment tricks, so you'd likely need to enter NYC-TYO and put LAX in the connection line to get accurate inventory. I've seen many cases where AA will have R (or C, D, I, etc.) on segment by segment but not married segment. I find it insanely frustrating. Sometimes you can 'break' married segments by structuring it a certain way, sometimes you can't.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:01 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Bear in mind QF does married segments on the route and finding C on HND-SYD and SYD-CGK doesnt mean C is possible for HND-SYD-CGK connection, alas! Ping me if you need assistance finding/booking this
Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Bear in mind QF does married segments on the route and finding C on HND-SYD and SYD-CGK doesnt mean C is possible for HND-SYD-CGK connection, alas! Ping me if you need assistance finding/booking this
Yup, I had exactly the same issue trying to get a RTW ticket and QF married segments. Wouldn't work without a stopover in SYD, which if I recall can't be done on this ticket.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by skunker

Is my calculation correct that an EP will earn 38256 LP for this itinerary? I still have to understand the calculations for an itinerary involving non- AA operated or code-shared flights.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by blueslip
Is my calculation correct that an EP will earn 38256 LP for this itinerary? I still have to understand the calculations for an itinerary involving non- AA operated or code-shared flights.
No, it's 57k with just the QF legs (ignoring the AA ones).
16.5k miles * (1.0 (base miles) + 1.25 (cabin bonus) +1.2 (EXP bonus)).

Edit: 40.5k (.25 cabin bonus see post #260)
And some less clear additional amount for the AA flights.
​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by Quail; Oct 24, 2022 at 6:21 am
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Quail
No, it's 57k with just the QF legs (ignoring the AA ones).
16.5k miles * (1.0 (base miles) + 1.25 (cabin bonus) +1.2 (EXP bonus)).

And some less clear additional amount for the AA flights.
​​​​​
​​​
That is not right. I think you added an extra multiple for the base miles. 16,500 * 2.45 = 40,425 See below

Originally Posted by blueslip
If you book it you should be able to call AAdavantage CS and ask for the total LP earned.

For AS it would be 23,887 (for the AA coded legs) + 20,664 (for the QF legs) = 44,551 EQM

Last edited by skunker; Oct 24, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.