Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Yup, I had exactly the same issue trying to get a RTW ticket and QF married segments. Wouldn't work without a stopover in SYD, which if I recall can't be done on this ticket.
correct . Stopover only works in Tyo but not SYD
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by skunker
That is not right. I think you added an extra multiple for the base miles. 16,500 * 2.45 = 40,425
What do you mean by extra multiple? What's the breakdown for the 2.45? See https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculato...wsLDE2NTAwLCw=, which also reports 56.9k for an EXP.
Edit: As of this edit, the calculator is wrong as it doesn't allow differentiating between QF to/from the USA and other QF. See post #260.

Last edited by Quail; Oct 24, 2022 at 6:23 am
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Quail
What do you mean by extra multiple? What's the breakdown for the 2.45? See https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculato...wsLDE2NTAwLCw=, which also reports 56.9k for an EXP.
You are correct, they probably thought that the cabin bonus was 25%, but it is indeed 125%. So the total multiplier for EXP is 3.45, not 2.45.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Quail
Originally Posted by nk15
You are correct, they probably thought that the cabin bonus was 25%, but it is indeed 125%. So the total multiplier for EXP is 3.45, not 2.45.
You are both right; I assumed it was 25% bonus, but it is 125%. That's a huge difference.
See below

Last edited by skunker; Oct 24, 2022 at 12:06 pm
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
On this itinerary, it's actually 25% cabin bonus. I had thought the same thing initially and someone pointed out that the 125% bonus is only on QF coded flights to/from North America, non-North America flights are only 25% for C.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by dvs7310
On this itinerary, it's actually 25% cabin bonus. I had thought the same thing initially and someone pointed out that the 125% bonus is only on QF coded flights to/from North America, non-North America flights are only 25% for C.
Wow you're right. I knew this before but it has been a while since I calculated for this itin so I forgot.
Confusing and far too easy to make this mistake, especially since that calculator leads to false confidence. I'll add an edit to my earlier post which references your post.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Man, that is terrible. Usually with a difference in earning it is international vs. domestic like JL
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just finished up a JFK-SFO/LAX-NRT-CGK round trip.

Overall good service on both AA and JL. Got to try a variety of the different Sky Suite options but the Apex Suite on the 77W is still the best of the bunch. 789 had a very narrow foot hole which made it uncomfortable for sleeping.

VOA was quick and easy for the midnight arrival. Here is the pricing list in various currencies as of October 22.
https://imgur.com/a/GFnvc78

I stayed at the Anara hotel at CGK both on arrival and departure due to the flight timings. I found it a great value and had no issues with the AC. It stayed constant throughout the night. But I did get woken up by the call to prayer and some unnecessary hallway music

I also stayed at the new Park Hyatt Jakarta and had a fantastic stay there. Definitely recommend trying it out if you have globalist status or can get a Guest of Honor booking.
Pyrenees and GW McLintock like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by skunker
Man, that is terrible. Usually with a difference in earning it is international vs. domestic like JL
I expect that's about the JV, AA and QF share revenue between North America and Australia / New Zealand, but not other routes. I'm actually surprised (but thankful) that all BA, IB, AY, and QR routes worldwide get the same mileage earning.

I don't know if it is still the case or not, but used to be the same with UA earning miles on NH, non-JV routes were excluded in the higher mileage earning table and that included some of Asia, China being the most prominent. I also recall a lot of UA and NH fares from Asia to North America were identical except the few non-JV routes like China, India, and I believe Australia. In some of those markets NH would have WAY cheaper prices than UA.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Originally Posted by Pochama
Just finished up a JFK-SFO/LAX-NRT-CGK round trip.

Overall good service on both AA and JL. Got to try a variety of the different Sky Suite options but the Apex Suite on the 77W is still the best of the bunch. 789 had a very narrow foot hole which made it uncomfortable for sleeping.

VOA was quick and easy for the midnight arrival. Here is the pricing list in various currencies as of October 22.
https://imgur.com/a/GFnvc78

I stayed at the Anara hotel at CGK both on arrival and departure due to the flight timings. I found it a great value and had no issues with the AC. It stayed constant throughout the night. But I did get woken up by the call to prayer and some unnecessary hallway music

I also stayed at the new Park Hyatt Jakarta and had a fantastic stay there. Definitely recommend trying it out if you have globalist status or can get a Guest of Honor booking.
Several followup questions if you might indulge me:

Was there still a 1.8% credit card surcharge posted?
If I interpret the chart correctly on VOA (thanks for providing), it seems better to go with the Rupiah rate either cash or credit card.

Was it very busy in getting a VOA and then going through immigration? What time did you arrive?

On departure what are the OWE (Emerald) lounge options flying on JAL?

I'm staying at the PH Jakarta in a couple of weeks and look forward to that stay.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Oct 27, 2022 at 7:45 am
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Pochama
Did you have to notify the hotel of the late checkin since the flight arrives at midnight?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
Several followup questions if you might indulge me:

Was there still a 1.8% credit card surcharge posted?
If I interpret the chart correctly on VOA (thanks for providing), it seems better to go with the Rupiah rate either cash or credit card.

Was it very busy in getting a VOA and then going through immigration? What time did you arrive?

On departure what are the OWE (Emerald) lounge options flying on JAL?

I'm staying at the PH Jakarta in a couple of weeks and look forward to that stay.

Thanks for posting.
I don't recall seeing anything about a credit card surcharge. If that's what the surcharge has been, I would assume it would still be in place at that rate or higher.

For the midnight arrival, I was one of the first people off the plane and there was absolutely no line for VOA and immigration. I also arrived around 7:30pm from a Singapore flight and the line was significantly longer. It took me about 30 minutes to get through VOA and immigration, so not too bad.

For the 6:35am departure that I took from CGK, it was basically just the Garuda lounge. Small lounge with better than expected hot foot options that early in the morning.

Originally Posted by night718
Did you have to notify the hotel of the late checkin since the flight arrives at midnight?
No, not at all. There were a bunch of people checking in around midnight, so I assume they are used to it.
BlondeBomber and night718 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PPro
I"m looking out way in May/June and still see these options.

The problem is that I live in PDX. I can reposition to get to NYC (my son lives there). But I do see one return flight group that return TYO-SAN-NYC. What are the implications if I get off in SAN and just catch a flight to PDX?

Thank for your advice.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I"m looking out way in May/June and still see these options.

The problem is that I live in PDX. I can reposition to get to NYC (my son lives there). But I do see one return flight group that return TYO-SAN-NYC. What are the implications if I get off in SAN and just catch a flight to PDX?

Thank for your advice.
im based in California and heading on this next week. I will be skipping the last leg on my California layover as well. It’s frowned upon by the airlines but not really any implications.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Does anyone still see this deal alive somehow past November 30th? I am in LAX and need to spend a couple of months in Melbourne, AUS but have no issues booking this as a $2500 business flight and then just having to take some economy flights on either end to orient to the right destination... heck, I was invited on an end of February Bali trip anyways so this could really work out brilliant. But I don't seem to have any luck making it work in December (any day) with a return in February or early March... or even January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.