Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by bethyy
Do you think plat pro is feasible then? And any route ideas?
It’s feasible, but it’s the equivalent of 2.5 round-trips from JFK to LAX in economy or one in J, plus 3,000 EQM left to go.

Five-figure mileage runs usually involved crossing an ocean, but that’s tough right now, and it would be very expensive booking at this late date.

How much do you fly? If doing this cost you $1,000 to $2,000 and several days of your time, would you get that much value back as a Plat Pro compared to Plat?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Have you checked status.aa.com for a buy-up offer? That might be easier and cheaper than trying to fly 5,670 miles domestically for $500 or less.
Unfortunately, they are still looking for $890. If anyone has any ideas, thank you in advance.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by LBLB4499
Unfortunately, they are still looking for $890. If anyone has any ideas, thank you in advance.
Look at flights to SFO or Alaska. JFK-LAX would leave you a little short, unless there's an out-of-the-way stop somewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA
If you had the EQD waiver, you should call to get that sorted out before proceeding. 3,696 EQM should be easy, but $1,387 EQD is both much tougher (domestically) and also pure waste if you’re supposed to have the waiver.
Thank you for your input. I did call, and although my EQD waiver is not displayed on my AA account, it is indeed waived. So all I need to do is fly 3696 miles.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Look at Feb 19 same day return IAH-SEA-FAI- ANC-SEA-IAH in Business for 1100 if you still need both EQD and EQM. This should get 1950 EQD and around 9750 EQM. There are some cheaper options from Austin on AS Business for AUS-ANC-AUS
Thank you for your response. I have confirmed that although my EQD waiver is not displaying on my AA account, I do indeed have that waiver through the end of February. All I am looking for is an inexpensive route to garner 3969 miles. I will repost with my updated information. Thank you again.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by oliviaso
Thank you for your input. I did call, and although my EQD waiver is not displayed on my AA account, it is indeed waived. So all I need to do is fly 3696 miles.
That's good.

You'll want something like this:

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...PT0SBggBEAAYAA
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: American airlines
It’s feasible, but it’s the equivalent of 2.5 round-trips from JFK to LAX in economy or one in J, plus 3,000 EQM left to go.

Five-figure mileage runs usually involved crossing an ocean, but that’s tough right now, and it would be very expensive booking at this late date.

How much do you fly? If doing this cost you $1,000 to $2,000 and several days of your time, would you get that much value back as a Plat Pro compared to Plat?
I plan to do a lot of travel in the next year or two to make up for lost time! At absolute bare minimum, I’d be heading up/down the east coast every other weekend on AA. A better chance at an upgrade on those flights alone would be worth it for me I think. Then I already have a few international trips in mind once various countries open up.

I should’ve figured this out months ago, but I do think that the status upgrade will be worth it for me in terms of access to the free upgrades instead of the 500 mile ones for my weekend trips!
I can work/sleep on the flights anyway so it’s really just finding long enough flights to places that are open I guess?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:26 pm

I plan to do a lot of travel in the next year or two to make up for lost time! At absolute bare minimum, I’d be heading up/down the east coast every other weekend on AA. A better chance at an upgrade on those flights alone would be worth it for me I think. Then I already have a few international trips in mind once various countries open up.

I should’ve figured this out months ago, but I do think that the status upgrade will be worth it for me in terms of access to the free upgrades instead of the 500 mile ones for my weekend trips!
I can work/sleep on the flights anyway so it’s really just finding long enough flights to places that are open I guess?
I'm seeing a lot of complaining about upgrade rates even for EXP. If you'll be flying to/from hubs, you might be disappointed. But, yes, you'll want flights that are as long as possible, especially right now with all of the delays and cancellations. People used to string together multi-city mileage-run itineraries (e.g., JFK-MIA-LAX-SEA-JFK), but doing that would be nuts right now.
bethyy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:37 am

I'm seeing a lot of complaining about upgrade rates even for EXP. If you'll be flying to/from hubs, you might be disappointed. But, yes, you'll want flights that are as long as possible, especially right now with all of the delays and cancellations. People used to string together multi-city mileage-run itineraries (e.g., JFK-MIA-LAX-SEA-JFK), but doing that would be nuts right now.
Thanks! I found an option for tomorrow that seems a bit nuts too but if the math works out…. Does this make sense to you?

PWM-PHL-LAS-LAX-OGG-LAX-DFW-RSW

PWM-PHL-LAS in L (2.5k*1 = 2.5k)
LAS-LAX-OGG in G (2.6k*.5 = 1.3k)
OGG-LAX-DFW-RSW in I/R (4.8k*2=9.6k)

soo Total would be around 13.4k EQMs which is basically what I need. Not concerned about being a little short and having to do a short trip if I’m slightly off. But does this math make sense or am I completely off somewhere?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:42 am

Good to know about the upgrade rates issues, but luckily I can schedule most of my travel during non-peak times through hubs and never really travel hub to hub. Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings are my new favorite times haha!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:06 pm

Thanks! I found an option for tomorrow that seems a bit nuts too but if the math works out…. Does this make sense to you?

PWM-PHL-LAS-LAX-OGG-LAX-DFW-RSW

PWM-PHL-LAS in L (2.5k*1 = 2.5k)
LAS-LAX-OGG in G (2.6k*.5 = 1.3k)
OGG-LAX-DFW-RSW in I/R (4.8k*2=9.6k)

soo Total would be around 13.4k EQMs which is basically what I need. Not concerned about being a little short and having to do a short trip if I’m slightly off. But does this math make sense or am I completely off somewhere?
That seems like a crazy amount of segments to attempt, but if a night or two in hotels along the way won’t kill your budget or get you fired, looks like it should work.

I didn’t double check your numbers, but you should try to figure out the exact mileage using gcmap.com. It’s possible you could use free flight changes on the way home to get any additional miles you need, especially if you’re only a few hundred EQM short. (The existing routing might already put you over.) Good luck.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:24 pm

That seems like a crazy amount of segments to attempt, but if a night or two in hotels along the way won’t kill your budget or get you fired, looks like it should work.

I didn’t double check your numbers, but you should try to figure out the exact mileage using gcmap.com. It’s possible you could use free flight changes on the way home to get any additional miles you need, especially if you’re only a few hundred EQM short. (The existing routing might already put you over.) Good luck.

thanks! That site was super helpful! I had been using a different site, but gcmap seems more accurate and user friendly. It puts the miles for the whole trip at 9,999. But some are .5 and some are x2. Plus 2 segments that are under 500 that will round up. Sooo I think I might be able to hit my 13k or close!
Hotels along the way if delayed are fine and I can work from planes or airports. Just have never booked a “multi-city” route. That means it’ll all be on one PNR? It looks almost like booking a round trip but with different final destination? So if any segment gets delayed they’ll adjust the other ones so I still end up eventually going PWM-OGG-RSW?

Sorry for so many questions. I’ll check again if there’s a better thread for these now that I sorta have a route idea and delete once I find one. Thanks for your help!!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:35 pm

thanks! That site was super helpful! I had been using a different site, but gcmap seems more accurate and user friendly. It puts the miles for the whole trip at 9,999. But some are .5 and some are x2. Plus 2 segments that are under 500 that will round up. Sooo I think I might be able to hit my 13k or close!
Enter them segment by segment and then multiply by 2 or 0.5, accordingly. You should know exactly before you start, since re-routing might become an issue.

Just have never booked a “multi-city” route. That means it’ll all be on one PNR? It looks almost like booking a round trip but with different final destination? So if any segment gets delayed they’ll adjust the other ones so I still end up eventually going PWM-OGG-RSW?!
Yes and yes to the first two. I’m not an expert on multi-city, but keep in mind, as a general matter, routing isn’t guaranteed; just that you’ll get to each destination booked in the multi-city. You can always ask for original routing credit if weather or some other problem causes a re-route, so that shouldn’t be a problem, but you’ll want to maximize mileage if any re-routings occur (weather, mechanical, free flight change opportunities, etc.) while also being careful not to make voluntary changes that could cost you mileage. With that number of segments, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Out of curiosity, how much time, from start to finish, is that itinerary?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:03 pm

Enter them segment by segment and then multiply by 2 or 0.5, accordingly. You should know exactly before you start, since re-routing might become an issue.

Yes and yes to the first two. I’m not an expert on multi-city, but keep in mind, as a general matter, routing isn’t guaranteed; just that you’ll get to each destination booked in the multi-city. You can always ask for original routing credit if weather or some other problem causes a re-route, so that shouldn’t be a problem, but you’ll want to maximize mileage if any re-routings occur (weather, mechanical, free flight change opportunities, etc.) while also being careful not to make voluntary changes that could cost you mileage. With that number of segments, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Out of curiosity, how much time, from start to finish, is that itinerary?
thanks that’s very helpful! Entering in the segments individually and multiplying them looks like it’ll be 14.4k so fingers crossed!
the way I just purchased it has it at around 30 hours total. But I just realized it’s the same price to make the second half of the thing the next day so I could spend a day in Hawaii…tempting!!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:12 pm

thanks that’s very helpful! Entering in the segments individually and multiplying them looks like it’ll be 14.4k so fingers crossed!
the way I just purchased it has it at around 30 hours total. But I just realized it’s the same price to make the second half of the thing the next day so I could spend a day in Hawaii…tempting!!
I'd definitely do the overnight (minimum). Last I knew, Hawaii had special Covid testing and/or vaccination requirements. Make sure to check into that. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.