Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
AA/One World: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
.
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

_________________________________________________

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):


If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.
_________________________________________________

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

AA/One World: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:52 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by strider21
I don't want to lose what progress I have at the end of February. If I do though then it would be a better goal to get to Platinum in 2022?
What benefits are you hoping or expecting to get from Gold in 2022? Youd be paying $1,500 upfront for Gold status, but if youre not flying enough to easily reach Gold already, you could just pay cash for the occasional upgrade, checked bag, etc., and probably come out way ahead.
js1993 is online now  
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:58 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Programs: AA
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by js1993
What benefits are you hoping or expecting to get from Gold in 2022? Youd be paying $1,500 upfront for Gold status, but if youre not flying enough to easily reach Gold already, you could just pay cash for the occasional upgrade, checked bag, etc., and probably come out way ahead.
I will be flying quite a bit more, I have a CITI AA Admiral card now and plan to do a couple of mileage runs in 2022. I also have two trips to Europe planned. Assuming I can get into Europe.
strider21 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:08 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by strider21
I will be flying quite a bit more, I have a CITI AA Admiral card now and plan to do a couple of mileage runs in 2022. I also have two trips to Europe planned. Assuming I can get into Europe.
I don’t want to browbeat you by asking a third time. But if you need mileage runs to get to Gold, there’s almost no chance you’ll get $1,500 in benefits from the status. Upgrades will be scarce domestically (and non-existent for the Europe trips), and AA still isn’t even serving booze in E+.
js1993 is online now  
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:48 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Programs: AA
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by js1993
I dont want to browbeat you by asking a third time. But if you need mileage runs to get to Gold, theres almost no chance youll get $1,500 in benefits from the status. Upgrades will be scarce domestically (and non-existent for the Europe trips), and AA still isnt even serving booze in E+.
Right, I took your advice as do not to try to get to Gold by Feb. 22 and adjust goals to get to Platinum by the end of '22. This seems like a better goal to aim for.
js1993 likes this.
strider21 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:32 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by strider21
Right, I took your advice as do not to try to get to Gold by Feb. 22 and adjust goals to get to Platinum by the end of '22. This seems like a better goal to aim for.
That seems like a better idea than spending $1,500 to reach Gold by Feb., but I wouldn't necessarily mileage-run to get to Plat, either. Maybe see where you're at in July and then reevaluate.
js1993 is online now  
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:05 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 153
I figure Ill open this up to the resident experts and see if anyone can do better than what I can on my own. Im a little short of ExPlat qualification, and want to have a backup plan in my pocket if I dont qualify with my normal flying in the next couple months.

Departure Airport(s): Any east coast airport (BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL, BWI, IAD, DCA)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,052
EQDs Needed: 1,618
Max Budget: I can do it for around ~$1,300
Available Travel Dates: Anytime in the end of Feb, so that I can quickly qualify for ExPlat at the last minute.
Max # Travel Nights: No hard limit, but I prefer these trips to be overnight if possible.
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N


The best bet I have so far is using AS first credited to AA, so I would need ~6700 flight miles to accumulate enough EQMs. This would also give me $2,000 EQD, which is more than enough. All AS First fare buckets earn the same number of EQMs, so I just need the cheapest fare available.

So this leads to something like a whirlwind 24 hours running JFK -> SEA -> LAX -> SEA -> JFK in Alaska First for something like ~$1100. This would also earn me ~15,000 RDMs/LPs, which isnt half bad either.

Anyone have any better ideas?
RememberTheConcord is offline  
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:06 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
I figure Ill open this up to the resident experts and see if anyone can do better than what I can on my own. Im a little short of ExPlat qualification, and want to have a backup plan in my pocket if I dont qualify with my normal flying in the next couple months.

Departure Airport(s): Any east coast airport (BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL, BWI, IAD, DCA)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,052
EQDs Needed: 1,618
Max Budget: I can do it for around ~$1,300
Available Travel Dates: Anytime in the end of Feb, so that I can quickly qualify for ExPlat at the last minute.
Max # Travel Nights: No hard limit, but I prefer these trips to be overnight if possible.
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N


The best bet I have so far is using AS first credited to AA, so I would need ~6700 flight miles to accumulate enough EQMs. This would also give me $2,000 EQD, which is more than enough. All AS First fare buckets earn the same number of EQMs, so I just need the cheapest fare available.

So this leads to something like a whirlwind 24 hours running JFK -> SEA -> LAX -> SEA -> JFK in Alaska First for something like ~$1100. This would also earn me ~15,000 RDMs/LPs, which isnt half bad either.

Anyone have any better ideas?
Have you checked flights to Alaska? Might be able to do it with fewer segments.
FocusedJedi likes this.
js1993 is online now  
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:02 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by js1993
Have you checked flights to Alaska? Might be able to do it with fewer segments.
I had not, this is a good idea! I had checked Hawaii but not Alaska. Unfortunately, I just checked and the closest airport to me with a flight on AS to ANC is ORD, so Id still end up with the same number of connections.

This would be an interesting idea to make the trip less wasteful though - I could actually spend a few days in ANC or HNL, rather than immediately returning.
js1993 likes this.
RememberTheConcord is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:58 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 170
My wife is short of Platinum Status by 2980 miles for 2022. She is doing a trip to JFK (from DFW) and she will still fall short of the 40K EQM by 132 miles.

Question:

1. Does Credit Card spend still count as EQM? If yes, she is covered.

If not, what are the options? Any suggestions without undertaking another flight.
srikp is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:49 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by srikp
My wife is short of Platinum Status by 2980 miles for 2022. She is doing a trip to JFK (from DFW) and she will still fall short of the 40K EQM by 132 miles.

Question:

1. Does Credit Card spend still count as EQM? If yes, she is covered.

If not, what are the options? Any suggestions without undertaking another flight.
Right now, only flights count. Perhaps she could upgrade the DFW-JFK trip, which would result in 2x EQM.
srikp likes this.
js1993 is online now  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:58 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by js1993
Right now, only flights count. Perhaps she could upgrade the DFW-JFK trip, which would result in 2x EQM.
I did not check individual segments but the overall flight was showing an additional $700. I might look at individual segments to see if that is something worth considering.
srikp is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:01 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,923
Originally Posted by srikp
I did not check individual segments but the overall flight was showing an additional $700. I might look at individual segments to see if that is something worth considering.
In the past, people have had luck asking AA for a courtesy bump when they're only short by a few miles. Not sure if anyone has had luck this year, or if AA would do it before the flight. (And you'd obviously want to know in advance; after the flight, it would be too late to upgrade a segment.) Good luck.
srikp likes this.
js1993 is online now  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:36 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by js1993
In the past, people have had luck asking AA for a courtesy bump when they're only short by a few miles. Not sure if anyone has had luck this year, or if AA would do it before the flight. (And you'd obviously want to know in advance; after the flight, it would be too late to upgrade a segment.) Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I shall ask her to call and talk to AA.
srikp is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:39 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LAX oriented World Digital Nomad
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Posts: 1,317
SPECIAL CHALLENGE REQUEST
Mom died and I am moving end of January, hoping someone might accept the challenge and have the time.

Need 2,400 EQD for the least amount of $$$, and/or willing to spend more if as a BONUS the flights can earn 35k EQM in the process for an extra two upgrades. Will go anywhere most vaxxed Americans can go, and will stay up to a 27 days... flights must occur between Jan 31 and February 27th... LAX ideal but will fly AA economy to a USA starting point if necessary. Or should I fly to Europe first and THEN complete an RT?

Outside of an Alaska-Florida run, I am thinking I am going to need to fly business in J, C, or D on BA, IB, or AY (J only) if I want to earn that 35k EQM AND be in a good spot for Loyalty Points. Probably to Eastern Europe or the Middle East or anywhere 6k miles away one way (6Kx3x2 equals 36K), unless someone has seen a deal for AA Vacations to the far south of South America (EZE or SCL via J or legit F)... or knows of a silly way to route my flight. Any ideas? If not, but you know of a QUICK cheap way to at least collect the 2400 EQD, I am all ears.

I value each SWU at $750 max, so if the flight fare costs more than $1500 extra to get those 35k EQM, it is less worth it to me. Then I might just aim for the 2400 EQD.

Last edited by Carolina2Cali; Jan 13, 2022 at 7:04 pm
Carolina2Cali is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:30 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LAX oriented World Digital Nomad
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Posts: 1,317
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
SPECIAL CHALLENGE REQUEST
Need 2,400 EQD for the least amount of $$$, and/or willing to spend more if as a BONUS the flights can earn 35k EQM in the process for an extra two upgrades.
In my quick searching, my best options seem to be LAX-BOG in D class on AA for $1200ish plus whatever 3 nights at some basic hotel I pick to just get the EQD, or on BA/IB/AY to SVO for $3500 to get the EQD + EQM. Bogota probably warmer and clearly cheaper, and with SWU being valued at say $750 each, NO WAY worth the extra 2300 dollars.
Carolina2Cali is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.