Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA/AC/LH: USA to Europe Sale - Biz - $1500s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] UA/AC/LH: USA to Europe Sale - Biz - $1500s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And even if you somehow make it through check-in at WAW, FRA tends to be much more anal about these things.
Yeah that's what I figured thanks. ahh well Here's hoping the USA will change their tune in the next three months, I mean EU counties have opened to them, I don't see why then don't reciprocate ......
PbodyPhoto likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
For about two weeks, I've been considering a trip from IAD to Europe (AMS and BER, or maybe BCN) this October. I have various United certificates, the remnants of canceled tickets, so I was trying to stay on UA metal. At the very least, I wanted to stay on the Star Alliance.

I've been frustrated that fares were so high on almost every carrier (in October, for over a week, in this environment). The only options under $2500 were a couple long layovers on TAP and some absurdly long backhauls via Istanbul. I'm a young professional in a good new job, but (a) it's not a $4000-for-leisure-flying job, and, on the other hand, it's not a "waste three weeks flying and no one will care" job.

Then, last week, I started seeing excellent, sub-$2000 fares on BA/AA from DC to almost anywhere I wanted to go. But, again, I wasn't prepared to spend $2000 on the alliance where I have no status for a trip I do not need to take.

Sure enough, though, Star Alliance retaliated with flights from Oneworld hubs. I finally held a ticket, through United's FareLock, from PHL to AMS and Berlin back to Philadelphia. I was not thrilled about the prospect of missing work to take the train from DC to Philly (and then an Uber to the airport), or having to fly back to IAD, then connect to PHL, and then take a train back at midnight. But, for $1898 before using my certificates, it seemed like the best deal available.

So when, on a hunch, I looked onto FT last night around 11:30 ET and saw $1500+ fares to Europe — nonstop from IAD — I jumped. Not right away; Amsterdam was not included in the fare sale, and I was debating between booking BER-EWR-IAD on United (the long leg on an old-layout 767) or booking FRA-IAD nonstop in the afternoon and sucking up the cost of a separate, $100ish BER-FRA ticket.

Around 12:50 ET last night, I decided not to wait. United updates its fares at 12 AM CT — 1 AM ET. The trip was three months out, but I knew United could pull the deal any day, and I hadn't checked the fare rules to get a sense of when. So, at 12:58 PM, I went through the purchase process for a FareLock.

At 12:59 AM, I hit "Purchase FareLock." The app slowly processed as the clock hit 1 AM. And then it popped up with a confirmation number.

At 1:03 AM, when I went back to view more routes out of curiosity, the fares were gone.

My FareLock receipt shows I locked in my ticket at 12:59 AM.

Thank you for posting these fares.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Was able to grab LAX-YYZ-FRA-LAX

LAX-YYZ on AC (B789) YYZ-FRA (B744) on AC operated by LH and FRA-LAX (B748) on LH.

These are P fares

Question

Can one accrue miles on multiple carriers? Example credit LAX-YYZ to A3 and YYZ-FRA on SQ or NH. IF SO, how or what would be the steps to do this? Thanks

Also, LH is offering $1250 USD pp to upgrade to F on the FRA-LAX route, is that reasonable? Can one upgrade with points, whatever program?

KL808
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by KL808
Can one accrue miles on multiple carriers? Example credit LAX-YYZ to A3 and YYZ-FRA on SQ or NH. IF SO, how or what would be the steps to do this? Thanks
KL808
Yes, you need to update the FF number before boarding the second (and any subsequent) flight. I've done that a few times - usually by approaching gate agents sometime before boarding (catch them while they are not too busy).
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tr3k
Yes, you need to update the FF number before boarding the second (and any subsequent) flight. I've done that a few times - usually by approaching gate agents sometime before boarding (catch them while they are not too busy).
My experience has been that by changing your FFP on a second or subsequent leg on a layover (less than 24 hrs) causes ALL legs to accrue to the last FFP selected. Maybe this will not occur on a stopover, but a least that was my experience a few years back involving AC and UA on my last leg.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Also, LH is offering $1250 USD pp to upgrade to F on the FRA-LAX route, is that reasonable? Can one upgrade with points, whatever program?
You can upgrade using LH's own M&M points, albeit at a very steep price (70k each way from P class). $1,250 might be a reasonable deal if the F class ground services have been fully restored--IMO that is the best part of LH F.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by dkc192
You can upgrade using LH's own M&M points, albeit at a very steep price (70k each way from P class). $1,250 might be a reasonable deal if the F class ground services have been fully restored--IMO that is the best part of LH F.
Indeed. There is a huge step from LH C 2-2-2 to F. As single flyer I would prefer LX/OS where you get a better C hardware and in this case 70k M&M for an upgrade (on LX) would be too much.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

LAX-YYZ on AC (B789) YYZ-FRA (B744) on AC operated by LH and FRA-LAX (B748) on LH.

These are P fares

Question

KL808
So, you are not interested in UA status. This trip alone will give you UA Premier Silver status.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
So, you are not interested in UA status. This trip alone will give you UA Premier Silver status.
Is it because it is not UA-ticketed?
Kmxu likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is it because it is not UA-ticketed?
Yes. If it is ticketed on UA, your PQP is about 1400. Otherwise, total distance divided by 5 is your PQP.

United PQP/PQF + RDM Calculator
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Yes. If it is ticketed on UA, your PQP is about 1400. Otherwise, total distance divided by 5 is your PQP.

United PQP/PQF + RDM Calculator
I got in on the original $1655 trip to EU about a month and a half ago, and just took advantage of this $1544 fare on this offer. For the approximate $3000 of spend flying mostly AC, I’ll earn approximately 8000 PQPs on UA by crediting to them. With the bonuses that they’ve provided I’ll be short just a small amount of PQPs to make 1K. Happy I stumbled across these fares. If AC/UA combination didn’t reduce the 200% to 150% earning I would’ve clearly made it. Oh well
Kmxu likes this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 16, 2021 at 12:54 pm
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by tobegold
My experience has been that by changing your FFP on a second or subsequent leg on a layover (less than 24 hrs) causes ALL legs to accrue to the last FFP selected. Maybe this will not occur on a stopover, but a least that was my experience a few years back involving AC and UA on my last leg.
Both of the answers seem worrying. What if I leave them blank and just get them retroactively adjusted after the trip?
*Does anyone have any experience with AC ticket/flight # LH metal P fare being credited to A3. This is the whole reason for my question. LAX-YYZ is fine on A3 the next leg (YYZ-FRA) is questionable. I want A3 but if not possible rather claim to SQ or NH

Originally Posted by dkc192
Thanks that's good to know. Will do some research if they have restored the ground service.

Nah, I did some miles transfer to SQ (Redeemed a trip) and am now * Gold thanks to there offer. I'm actually wanting to fill up my A3 account since Im Silver (did some A3 flying over the summer in Greece) and have a together account.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Both of the answers seem worrying. What if I leave them blank and just get them retroactively adjusted after the trip?
*Does anyone have any experience with AC ticket/flight # LH metal P fare being credited to A3. This is the whole reason for my question. LAX-YYZ is fine on A3 the next leg (YYZ-FRA) is questionable. I want A3 but if not possible rather claim to SQ or NH

Thanks that's good to know. Will do some research if they have restored the ground service.

Nah, I did some miles transfer to SQ (Redeemed a trip) and am now * Gold thanks to there offer. I'm actually wanting to fill up my A3 account since Im Silver (did some A3 flying over the summer in Greece) and have a together account.
IME most airlines see everything on the ticket, and if it qualifies it gets credited.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
IME most airlines see everything on the ticket, and if it qualifies it gets credited.
Not sure how it is handled if flights are on the same airline, but if flights are on different airlines, they can accrue to different programs, even if booked on the same ticket (tested with UA + NH for example).

I believe what matters is what program is listed on each given boarding pass (or at least that's how it worked out in my case). I suppose if both flights are on the same metal - things might not work as well.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Not sure how it is handled if flights are on the same airline, but if flights are on different airlines, they can accrue to different programs, even if booked on the same ticket (tested with UA + NH for example).

I believe what matters is what program is listed on each given boarding pass (or at least that's how it worked out in my case). I suppose if both flights are on the same metal - things might not work as well.
I was meaning in the example where you leave a FF off ticket and then request credit afterwards. When you provide the ticket number it sees all the flights and credits all of them.

IME you can get a different FF number entered for each flight. Ask before each flight, and get new BP printed showing it. This should cause each to post where you want. It's only an issue IME with all posting to one program if you leave number off and request credit after the fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.