Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2021 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2021 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:18 pm

Hit mqd for Plat but still about 22k MQM away. Will possibly hit the 30k on my reserve for the 18.5k MQM but not sure what to spend on. Any 20k MQM runs out of CVG or nearby airports in the Midwest. Don’t need MQD so the cheaper the better.

Departure Airport: CVG but can travel
Miles Needed: 22-25k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: None, cheaper better
Available Travel Dates: Any day after Dec 1
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: ok w whatever
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by scotters
I'll qualify easily on MQMs but need just under $1500 MQD to hit Diamond. Obviously cost efficiency is the goal here but whatever works. Based in Austin.

Departure Airport: Preferably AUS, SAT, IAH but willing to travel
Miles Needed: $1500 MQD
Required Spend or Budget: N/A
Available Travel Dates: Any day after Dec 3
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: whatever does the trick
It might just be easier to take advantage of the Delta Skymiles accelerator (1.75x in Comfort Plus). For example, SAT-HNL, Dec. 11, $980, 13,182 MQMs, $1571 MQDs

If you want to fly partner airlines, then a possibility is SAT-TIJ on Aero Mexico in Business Class (earns 40% of distance flown for MQDS in Business Class), about $1700 MQDs
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by LAXtoEVN
Hit mqd for Plat but still about 22k MQM away. Will possibly hit the 30k on my reserve for the 18.5k MQM but not sure what to spend on. Any 20k MQM runs out of CVG or nearby airports in the Midwest. Don’t need MQD so the cheaper the better.

Departure Airport: CVG but can travel
Miles Needed: 22-25k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: None, cheaper better
Available Travel Dates: Any day after Dec 1
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: ok w whatever
Maybe a positioning flight to ATL and then Virgin Atlantic to JNB to earn around 24,000 MQMs. see post #243

Ooops ....... lower price tickets seem to be gone. However, you can do CVG-JNB on Delta and earn 24,900 MQMs for $1150 (MC)

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 25, 2021 at 1:45 pm Reason: give Delta option
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:56 pm

Follow up question.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I have roughly 55k MQM, will all 55k MQM roll over into 2022? If that's the case, would it not be smarter to wait until roll over to hit my Delta Reserve spend for the waiver + 15k MQM bonus? I can probably do the 30k spend on the Amex within January. All I would have to do is 5K MQM which I already have planned. This way I would keep status until Jan 2024. If I earn plat this year I only keep it until Jan 2023 right?

Does this sound about right or am I misunderstanding something here.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by LAXtoEVN
Follow up question.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I have roughly 55k MQM, will all 55k MQM roll over into 2022? If that's the case, would it not be smarter to wait until roll over to hit my Delta Reserve spend for the waiver + 15k MQM bonus? I can probably do the 30k spend on the Amex within January. All I would have to do is 5K MQM which I already have planned. This way I would keep status until Jan 2024. If I earn plat this year I only keep it until Jan 2023 right?

Does this sound about right or am I misunderstanding something here.
if you can really hit the mqd waiver spend in 1 month that seems fine, but for mere mortals you would normally have needed most or all of the year to hit the waiver, so you'd want to earn this year
MasterPengs likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta
Trying to get Delta Diamond before end of 2021

I need $10,446 MQD to diamond and 1,888 MQM. Looking for some status runs if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mspicer
I need $10,446 MQD to diamond and 1,888 MQM. Looking for some status runs if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!!
It would be helpful to know where you are based in order to give you ideas for status runs.

Generic suggestions would be to look at flying on partners airlines since MQDs would be based on distant flown and fare class.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE

Thanks!!
With that much left to go you might as well wait until January, then hit Diamond in 2022 so you’ll have it for roughly 24 months.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL
DL - 1500 MQDs needed

I'm pretty new to this and just realized maybe I can get status but it's looking tough - prices are just insane. Appreciate any help!

Departure Airport: SFO or SJC
Required Spend or Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Dec 5-8 or 14-18
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: whatever does the trick (most likely partner airlines)
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rdh0924
With that much left to go you might as well wait until January, then hit Diamond in 2022 so you’ll have it for roughly 24 months.
According to the points guy MQM are the only thing that rolls over, not mqd.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ar12
I'm pretty new to this and just realized maybe I can get status but it's looking tough - prices are just insane. Appreciate any help!

Departure Airport: SFO or SJC
Required Spend or Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Dec 5-8 or 14-18
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: whatever does the trick (most likely partner airlines)
At this time of year, better deals are harder to find.

Since you are looking for a greater earning than what Delta Skymiles accelerator is giving, you will need to fly on a partner airline. Take a look at business class on AeroMexico to Mexico City. Business class will earn 40% of the distance flown toward MQDs. SFO-MEX-SFO is slightly more than 4000 miles so it should get you $1600 MQDs flying in AeroMexico business class.

Normally, you would also look at SFO-JNB on Virgin Atlantic but with the Covid Omicron variant in South Africa, countries are restricting travel to/from South Africa.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:37 pm

According to the points guy MQM are the only thing that rolls over, not mqd.
yes, but I think the idea is you are so far from the 15k MQD you might as well just start over next year and try Some Aeromexico business class flights to do it.
That said, you could do it this year, but without something to narrow us down like where you are based out of all I can say is look for cheap business class Aeromexico flights.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:50 pm

AUS based mileage run, early 2022?

Departure Airport: AUS (willing to leave out of DFW, IAH or SAT)
Miles Needed: Diamond MQD level
Required Spend or Budget: little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Flexible

Actually, I want to learn how to do this myself instead of asking for answers. I saw SAT/MAD as an example flying on AeroMexico and was able to bring up a few flights on Google flights for $887 ish out of AUS. I'm already Platinum with about 16K more MQMs needed for Diamond. Don't want to spend $250K for Diamond Waiver. Still haven't used any of my Platinum Choice benefits, either. Give me some ideas and I'll play with the dates/travel costs. I just a bit confused when factoring in the Tier 1 partner airlines and the best value for hitting MQD spend. TIA!
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by pacumeni
Departure Airport: AUS (willing to leave out of DFW, IAH or SAT)
Miles Needed: Diamond MQD level
Required Spend or Budget: little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Flexible

Actually, I want to learn how to do this myself instead of asking for answers. I saw SAT/MAD as an example flying on AeroMexico and was able to bring up a few flights on Google flights for $887 ish out of AUS. I'm already Platinum with about 16K more MQMs needed for Diamond. Don't want to spend $250K for Diamond Waiver. Still haven't used any of my Platinum Choice benefits, either. Give me some ideas and I'll play with the dates/travel costs. I just a bit confused when factoring in the Tier 1 partner airlines and the best value for hitting MQD spend. TIA!
Scroll down a bit and expand aeromexico and there is a box you can click for the chart.
Earning Miles With Airline Partners | Delta Air Lines
40% of miles flown is how many MQD you get in business. How many MQD do you need?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
yes, but I think the idea is you are so far from the 15k MQD you might as well just start over next year and try Some Aeromexico business class flights to do it.
That said, you could do it this year, but without something to narrow us down like where you are based out of all I can say is look for cheap business class Aeromexico flights.
Either LAS, SLC or PHX are all very close and I can take a commuter flight to any of those. Those would be my preferred places to start from.

Great tip on the Aeromexico, I'll keep that in mind for next year for sure. I do appreciate your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.