Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by madrigalbna
I have been on google flights search all morning racking my brain and going nuts trying to figure out the best Mileage run. I understand that I may need to do this in two separate trips.

I found SJU-PDX via JFK Dec 7 return Dec 10 for $436.00 that earns 8267MQMs but when I look for the same flight later in the month the prices are crazy. Please help me design the best trips for month of Dec, I am ok with overnights in cities if needs be, what is more important for me is making sure I retain Diamond for 2020.

Departure Airport: SJU (can relocate if necessary)
Miles Needed: 14,000 MQM (no MQDs necessary)
Required Spend or Budget: $1200 or less total (prefer Delta or Delta Marketed flights)
Available Travel Dates: all of December is wide open.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshare ok
How about something like the following for $982 and about 19,000 MQMs? Found on Expedia

Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:34 am

Wow, I need to start using Expedia more, I dont believe I would be able to handle the long connections and overnights in economy, I am 6'4" and mostly legs, I think I would end up sick by the time I got back. Thank you for this though, let me cross reference some deals with Expedia.

I think I am going to try a multi city approach within the US so I have good possibilities of upgrades to first as well as I will even do overnights in cheap hotels to get some sleep, I am cursed with the inability to sleep sitting up on a plane.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by madrigalbna
Wow, I need to start using Expedia more, I dont believe I would be able to handle the long connections and overnights in economy, I am 6'4" and mostly legs, I think I would end up sick by the time I got back. Thank you for this though, let me cross reference some deals with Expedia.

I think I am going to try a multi city approach within the US so I have good possibilities of upgrades to first as well as I will even do overnights in cheap hotels to get some sleep, I am cursed with the inability to sleep sitting up on a plane.
How about SJU-HNL?

Dec 12 - 13, SJU-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-SJU, $883, about 13,300 MQMs, overnight in HNL (a little over 14 hours in HNL), book on Delta

If you want more breaks:

Dec 10 - 14, SJU-SEA, $677, about 8500 MQMs (routing: SJU-JFK-SLC-SEA-SLC-JFK-SJU), overnight in SEA on Dec 10
Dec 11 - 12, SEA-HNL, $553, about 7100 MQMs (routing: SEA-SLC-HNL-LAX-SEA), overnight in HNL (about 16 hours in HNL)
Dec 12 - 14, Hangout in Seattle departing on 14th (about 35 hours)

you could do two night in HNL instead of SEA but hotels will be cheaper in SEA

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 30, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: added SJU-HNL with overnights
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:42 pm

Departure Airport: DTW

Miles Needed: 7,000

Required Spend or Budget: No required spend

Available Travel Dates: December sporadically - primarily December 15-22

Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes? Need MQMs only for Silver
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Longhauls
Departure Airport: DTW

Miles Needed: 7,000

Required Spend or Budget: No required spend

Available Travel Dates: December sporadically - primarily December 15-22

Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes? Need MQMs only for Silver
Two trips to LAS will get you 7000 MQMs (3500 per trip.) Prices to LAS for an immediate turn trip the week of Dec 16 start at $391 (BE). Several dates available. Dleta flexible date search, trip duration 1 day

You can get about 9000 MQMs with a trip to OGG (Dec 16, $1015)
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by travelyr
Departure Airport: BOS (until Dec 19), JFK/LGA (Dec 19 onwards)

Miles Needed: 11,270 MQM and $2693 MQD to reach Gold Medallion

Required Spend or Budget: Ideally under $1k

Available Travel Dates: Dec 12-16, Dec 19-31

Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares are okay

My final exams are both on Dec 17 and my final assignment for this semester is due December 18; I also have a bus ticket from Boston --> NYC on Dec 19. I can travel from Boston the week before finals (Dec 12-16) or the weeks after from New York (Dec 19-31). Ideally, I can go to a city, stay for a few days & explore so I think somewhere in South America would help me get the MQMs and MQDs I need (possibly with AeroMexico?). Thanks!
JFK-NBO-DXB on Kenya Airways in Biz

https://www.kenya-airways.com/en-us/black-friday

This might work for you. Look at the Blackout dates. You'll probably need to leave on 12/25 or 12/26.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: ~10,000 for Platinum
Required Spend or Budget: as low as possible as I have MQDs
Available Travel Dates: after Dec 2
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: yes

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by True_Blue
Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: ~10,000 for Platinum
Available Travel Dates: after Dec 2

Any suggestions?
Some options:

Dec 10, MSP-KOA, $920 (BE), about 9900 MQMs (routing: msp-lax-sea-koa-sea-sfo-msp), flight gets back to MSP the afternoon of Dec 10, about 1.5 hours in KOA

Dec 3 - 6, MSP-TPE, $869 (MC), about 15,000 MQMs (routing: msp-icn-tpe-ngo-dtw-msp), two nights in TPE
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:35 am

Need 24K Miles on a single run to bump to status

Departure Airport: SFO/OAK/SJC
Miles Needed: 24,000 for Diamond
Available Travel Dates: December is open except for 12th - 22nd (will be on a cruise)

I moved my home out of country, so I think I'm exempt from the dollar requirements..
But still need some miles.. I'm covered for Platinum.. but need to hit diamond.

Best I'm seeing is SFO-LHR-JNB-ATL-SFO for about 21.5K.. but need 23870 (or 24K).. Wife has cleared me for a reasonable budget (sub 1200 dollars).
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by MrDMiller2
Departure Airport: SFO/OAK/SJC
Miles Needed: 24,000 for Diamond
Available Travel Dates: December is open except for 12th - 22nd (will be on a cruise)

I moved my home out of country, so I think I'm exempt from the dollar requirements..
But still need some miles.. I'm covered for Platinum.. but need to hit diamond.

Best I'm seeing is SFO-LHR-JNB-ATL-SFO for about 21.5K.. but need 23870 (or 24K).. Wife has cleared me for a reasonable budget (sub 1200 dollars).
As for making sure you are exempt from MQDs, log into your Skymiles account, and go to My Skymiles and see if the MQD section is grayed out.

You can squeeze in another 1000 MQMs for about 22,600 MQMs with the routing: sfo-lax-ams-jnb-cdg-sea-sfo for $1132 on Dec 6 - 8. I think you may have to take a short trip somewhere to pick up the remaining miles. Normally, I would say take a look at Virgin Atlantic SFO-JNB in Economy Delight (Economy Delight earning 1.25x) but the cheaper fares seem to be all gone.

SFO-PVG-AKL-PVG-SFO is about 23,900 MQMs but I don't see any China Eastern flights in your price range ($1320 on Dec 2 - 4 on Expedia)
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:58 am

Departure Airport: ATL or nearby
Miles Needed: 7200
Required Spend or Budget: $760 MQD
Available Travel Dates: January, starting or ending on weekend
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by tcATL
Departure Airport: ATL or nearby
Miles Needed: 7200
Required Spend or Budget: $760 MQD
Available Travel Dates: January, starting or ending on weekend
I hope this is for 2021 qualification.

A trip out to Hawaii will get you the needed MQMs. Just pick a fare price that will meet your MQD requirement. Some tickets to HNL are available for $659 (Jan 18, 25). Jan 11 ($883 - Main Cabin will earn $792 MQD)

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Dec 1, 2019 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
I hope this is for 2021 qualification.

A trip out to Hawaii will get you the needed MQMs. Just pick a fare price that will meet your MQD requirement. Some tickets to HNL are available for $659 (Jan 18, 25). Jan 11 ($883 - Main Cabin will earn $792 MQD)
Status match, flying to different cities next year that makes Delta a better choice.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta
Departure Airport: ABQ
Miles Needed: 9,900 to maintain Platinum on DL
Required Spend or Budget:cheapest preferred - trying to stay under $1,000
Available Travel Dates: Dec 16 - Dec 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: anything yielding high MQM for DL SM

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:26 am

I'll check that out..
And yes, I confirmed that the dollars section is gone.. but I do have a question..

Since I'm not just based on miles.. does that mean MQM's are based on actual miles flown.. (before the miles were based on actuals + class of service + amount paid)? ie: beyond comfort and amenities, there is no benefit to booking upper tier service for a flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.