Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:45 am

I’ve booked around 3:48 EST on one of the OTA websites(Smartfares). Got a United conf number but no ticket #. At around 10pm last night, received an email saying Air NZ wasn’t able to confirm the ticket. Alas..
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: SIA Gold, AA PlatPro, AC 75k, Hilton Diamond
I booked at 3:55pm EST yesterday, and got ticketed as well. Selected seats too. Ticket and PNR still valid as of now.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:15 am

I booked via CheapOAir (not a favorite of mine, but they still had the deal available yesterday when others didn't). I am ticketed and confirmed on UA website and i've had it added to my UA account. I haven't checked with Air NZ yet, but so far so good.
update: confirmed on NZ too.

Now, is it possible and how much would it cost to upgrade to premium economy or business on the LAX-AKL legs?
ldubin likes this.

Last edited by katstarr; Jan 24, 2018 at 6:38 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
That was fun. This was reminiscent of a better time when low jumbo fares were a regular thing. Seemed available 11am until about 3pm ET. I did not see it until 1pm.
I booked and have ticketed 2 to CHC and 3 to AKL (3 Exp, 1 TL, 1 PL). Since the weather in June/July is cooler and winter I'll probably only keep the short turn around trips to gain PQM on UA. Looks to be about 17k r/t PQM for $350.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, MP, DL
Originally Posted by henrus
I thought that under DOT rules if you do book something non-refundable and then the airline cancels because of a mistake fare then you should be able to claim back the lost money from the airline.
Yes BUTTT it takes awhile and a lot of paper work...and enforcement isn't the best (think old school mail-in rebates may take 14 weeks to do it). At least that how people on the last mistake fare I was involved in say [FARE GONE] Va: Dfw-mel $172 ai
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by katstarr
I booked via CheapOAir (not a favorite of mine, but they still had the deal available yesterday when others didn't). I am ticketed and confirmed on UA website and i've had it added to my UA account. I haven't checked with Air NZ yet, but so far so good.
update: confirmed on NZ too.

Now, is it possible and how much would it cost to upgrade to premium economy or business on the LAX-AKL legs?
I've been trying this too...so it looks like (at least on my flights) UA won't upgrade for points but NZ has the "bid" tool for one step upgrades where you say "Hey, I will pay you and extra $250 to put me in PE" and they debate is and approve (and charge you) or say no and dont charge
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I've heard several reports of cancellations...including one that called NZ and they said they wouldn't honor but to have Expedia handle it...which seems..unique.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
My bookings are still intact this morning, whew
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:59 am

So SmartFares and Expedia have sent cancellations so far? Any others?

Mine are confirmed for now but this thread is making me worried.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

My Expedia still shows valid...I've seen a Hopper App cancelled on FB (whatever that is)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bigcheese202
I booked via SmartFares around 3ish as well and just received an email from them saying it's cancelled. I'll get my money back, but I was really looking forward to NZ! Does anyone think we have a leg to stand on to demand they honor the fare?

oh well...
No leg to stand on. All they have to do is say it's an error regardless if it is or not. You could always hope you live in a state with pro consumer anti business small claims court judges.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:25 am

I'm still seeing this for $637RT from CVG via Kiwi.com via Momondo. Example dates: April 28 - May 5

It's not $245, but that's still one heck of a price. Haven't checked other airports, but I have to believe it's not exclusive to CVG.
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:52 am

My smartfares booking got cancelled. Email saying air New Zealand would not issue tickets or a waiver
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
All my bookings were ticketed a few hours after receiving confirmation yesterday - around 6pm EST
Flights are mostly full, as far as my booked flights show, with few seats remaining.
ldubin likes this.

Last edited by Travelomania; Jan 24, 2018 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, JPM Select
Booked yesterday around 3:30pm EST, was ticketed shortly after, and was able to reserve seats. Both UA and NZ confirmations are still showing up on respective sites. Still holding my breath, and need to convince my boss for the PTO (I picked some dates without realizing it coincides with another co-worker's holiday)
ldubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.