Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Booked yesterday around 2:30pm EST and was ticketed fairly quickly. Showed up on UA site within 30 minutes and was able to reserve seats. Also changed seat selection on NZ. Both UA and NZ confirmations are still active on both sites. Just changed seat selection again on NZ site and it accepted the change.

I booked via AMEX travel rather than one of the other OTA. Amex will sometimes honor mistake fares for Plat card holders if you call and fight hard enough!

Gary Leff from VFTW is saying he believes it was a flash sale not a mistake after he reviewed the fare rules.
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ldubin
I've heard several reports of cancellations...including one that called NZ and they said they wouldn't honor but to have Expedia handle it...which seems..unique.
What is likely to have happened was online travel agent websites sometimes will try to book fares via backdoors to try get an cheaper price, for example instead of booking an ticket issued by the airline in the USA they will try book it from the airline and get in ticketed in New Zealand or Australia were that ticket is currently on sale.

NZ has been doing some pretty good deals ex-AKL over the past weeks, e.g. AKL-USA from as low as $250USD (Oneway) although these fares are restricted to sale within New Zealand e.g. can't be ticketed outside.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Free agent
Just received word that mine was cancelled, booked through Hopper. I had a ticket number and had paid for exit row seats through NZ directly.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jmail1
Just received word that mine was cancelled, booked through Hopper. I had a ticket number and had paid for exit row seats through NZ directly.
That's a bummer.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Have three tickets booked for us and the little one for $946 total for the three but looks like I'll have to call Expedia to cancel. Can't convince the wife to take time off work and take our newborn on the 24 hour journey from NYC to Auckland.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by imaginaryhomeland
Have three tickets booked for us and the little one for $946 total for the three but looks like I'll have to call Expedia to cancel. Can't convince the wife to take time off work and take our newborn on the 24 hour journey from NYC to Auckland.
i have 3 tickets too, explain a 15hr flt from iah to the wife and she seamed ok with our then 2yr old, surprise she did give me the wth you thinking look, and then found out about the skycouch which will be a lifesaver for us, maybe explain the skycouch to the wife
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by yuel

i have 3 tickets too, explain a 15hr flt from iah to the wife and she seamed ok with our then 2yr old, surprise she did give me the wth you thinking look, and then found out about the skycouch which will be a lifesaver for us, maybe explain the skycouch to the wife
yeah... i tried to pitch her on the skycouch but it's really the time off work that she can't do. too bad maternity leave is so short here, otherwise she might've had more flexibility.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:36 pm

So no one else has received a cancellation notice?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jmail1
So no one else has received a cancellation notice?
Not yet! Still holding out hope. Booked around 1:00 yesterday and ticketed 5 min later.

My reservations are still showing up as intact on both united.com and air new zealand's website. I haven't been able to select seats online yet, however, which has been worrying for me.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Ticketed and confirmed (for now). Is there a time period by which an airline must cancel a fare they don't intend to honor?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by katstarr
Now, is it possible and how much would it cost to upgrade to premium economy or business on the LAX-AKL legs?
Air NZ will happily take your money for the full cash fare difference. Will take all major credit cards ^

Originally Posted by imaginaryhomeland
Have three tickets booked for us and the little one for $946 total for the three but looks like I'll have to call Expedia to cancel.
What are the t&c's for cancellation? I would not be expecting much money back. I would waiting a few days before travel to cancel. If Air NZ / Expedia cancel you should get a full refund.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Air NZ will happily take your money for the full cash fare difference. Will take all major credit cards ^

What are the t&c's for cancellation? I would not be expecting much money back. I would waiting a few days before travel to cancel. If Air NZ / Expedia cancel you should get a full refund.
It's within 24 hours so they'll get a 100% refund, that is if it's not unilaterally cancelled beforehand like mine.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Gary Leff from VFTW is saying he believes it was a flash sale not a mistake after he reviewed the fare rules.
My thoughts exactly.
My flights are booked under an L fare and I have the fare rules - all 7 pages of them
pickles12 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr

Now, is it possible and how much would it cost to upgrade to premium economy or business on the LAX-AKL legs?
If it is ticketed on NZ stock (086 I think), then you can bid for upgrades from E->PE (only one cabin unfortunately). You can check the NZ forum for accepted bids, but I'd expect NZ$400-$500 to be required if space is available. No idea if NZ have the technology to exclude these bookings, or if you could slip by if there's no manual processing.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I was ticketed and cnfirmed. OTA just called stating NZ is canceling the tix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.