Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Technically NZ wouldn't have even been paid for these tickets yet, as the third party OTA would have collected the money. One would assume that NZ is trying to put it all back onto the OTA, who then refuses the 'real fares' so opts to cancel the tickets.

NZ is pretty smart when it comes to find away around anything legal, they will find an reason that will make the ticket not valid. For example the cheap tickets might of been an valid option, if they were paired with certain flights etc.
I remember there being a sub $400 NZ fare last year that didn't have any issues. Does anyone recall this?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, MP, DL
Technically NZ wouldn't have even been paid for these tickets yet, as the third party OTA would have collected the money. One would assume that NZ is trying to put it all back onto the OTA, who then refuses the 'real fares' so opts to cancel the tickets.

NZ is pretty smart when it comes to find away around anything legal, they will find an reason that will make the ticket not valid. For example the cheap tickets might of been an valid option, if they were paired with certain flights etc.
This...check your credit cards...if the charge is pending, they haven't been paid yet.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by arcticgrin
I remember there being a sub $400 NZ fare last year that didn't have any issues. Does anyone recall this?
I remember $199 rt ticket I bought and cancelled last year to lax
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:42 am

I booked with an OTA and the charge on my credit card says " "AIR NEW ZEALAND BPS AGENTS" and under the address of the charge it say "AIR NEW ZEALAND LTD"

Looks like ANZ charged me not the OTA
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by maverick2202
Thats nightmare. Did ANZ refund you for the positioning flight ?
Nope - I argued, pointed to the DOT regulations that they're required to reimburse fees, but no luck. It was hard to put a value because I used points to position myself to Australia. I did get one night of hotel fees reimbursed though by ANZ. In the end, I always wanted to visit Australia and while a big part of me using miles to Australia was to position myself for the fare, I ended up getting a mini vacation out of it that I wanted anyways. The hassle was trying to find a way home though after my ticket got cancelled (which was 5/6 days after I had booked the error fare) so I had to burn even more points to get myself home to the US.

For anyone thinking you're in the clear because ANZ hasn't cancelled your itinerary yet, I wouldn't go about making nonrefundable plans just yet. The cancellations will come in batches in prior history repeats itself and it could take up to a week.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:30 pm

Just got cancelled as well.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I love that Expedia's booking page says this no less than 3 times "Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation."

EDIT: No word but gone from NZ and United...Expedia still has it but a different booking ID
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA
Got a cancellation as well for my booking via Orbitz.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Are the cancellees getting emails about this? I just keep checking the site
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
One of my reservations got an Expedia triggered email but another one hasn't. Both do not show any active NZ flights in the record and UA no longer shows them either. Oh well.

BTW: I think DOT has an obligation to protect consumers as well when one airline has repeated missteps. I'd not heard of them, but it seems like many people have been burned by NZ in the past.
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CGNC
One of my reservations got an Expedia triggered email but another one hasn't. Both do not show any active NZ flights in the record and UA no longer shows them either. Oh well.
But expedia says I didn't need to reconfirm!!! :-p
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ldubin
Are the cancellees getting emails about this? I just keep checking the site
Yes, I received an email from Orbitz.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm kind of surprised NZ twitter feed is mostly silent about this....I remember the VA outcry was insane
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:15 pm

Just check my UA and NZ confirmation number are not pulling up.
Looks like they are canceling now. Please let us know if any of your tickets stick

this is what it says when I pull up my UA confirmation number:

! Your itinerary cannot be retrieved because it has been canceled. You may use the remaining value of your ticket toward a new flight by selecting the "Change Flight" link below. A change fee may apply.
This reservation has been cancelled.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Got email cancelled...going to have some fun with Expedia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.