Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA plat, BA, B6, DL, UA gold, SPG/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just out of curiosity what would happen if you book this ticket for say a two week stay, then book your standard non refundable hotel. Per DoT regulations If they want to cancel they must refund both the mistake fare and accommodation made in reliance. I suspect a 2 weeks stay in NZ will cost as much if not more than the fare difference. wouldnt it therefore make sense for them to just honor the fare?
Air NZ moved quickly to cancel these tickets because they had no intention of honoring these fares; literally all of us who booked them knew were error fares. Air NZ could easily prove to DOT that multiple blogs, Twitter feeds, etc. published information indicating these as error fares.

Moreover SecretFlying et al were judicious in their mentioning: "WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DELAY MAKING FURTHER PLANS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. BECAUSE THIS IS AN ERROR-FARE, THERE IS ALWAYS THE SMALL CHANCE THE AIRLINE MAY CANCEL THE TICKET."

Note their use of capital letters -- not mine!

So I therefore don't follow the conclusion you make. It wouldn't make sense for them to honor the fare because that would leave them open to honoring future mistake fares, which they have no intention of honoring.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:03 pm

Let the Airlines eat cake

Originally Posted by stevenmb
Air NZ moved quickly to cancel these tickets because they had no intention of honoring these fares; literally all of us who booked them knew were error fares. Air NZ could easily prove to DOT that multiple blogs, Twitter feeds, etc. published information indicating these as error fares.

Moreover SecretFlying et al were judicious in their mentioning: "WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DELAY MAKING FURTHER PLANS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. BECAUSE THIS IS AN ERROR-FARE, THERE IS ALWAYS THE SMALL CHANCE THE AIRLINE MAY CANCEL THE TICKET."

Note their use of capital letters -- not mine!

So I therefore don't follow the conclusion you make. It wouldn't make sense for them to honor the fare because that would leave them open to honoring future mistake fares, which they have no intention of honoring.
From what I've read on TPG's article and the DoT's interim ruling they actually have to first prove that it is an error fare (i.e. by referencing the various articles). The important point here is that regardless of whether it's an error fare, they are still liable to "reimburses all consumers who purchased a mistaken fare ticket for any reasonable, actual, and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the ticket purchase, in addition to refunding the purchase price of the ticket. These expenses include, but are not limited to, non-refundable hotel reservations, destination tour packages or activities, cancellation fees for non-refundable connecting air travel and visa or other international travel fees."

I don't know about everyone else on FT but the first thing I do once my flight gets ticketed is book the corresponding hotel and ground transportation (i.e. I like to book everything related to the travel at once, once I've done the sufficient research before hand).

Hence if you conservatively spent say $120 USD/night for 14 nights at a hotel the airline would have to refund you the $1680 USD plus the ticket price you paid. I suspect that the difference between the error fare and actual price would be less than that which is why I would think they would honour the fare.

I get that they might "bite" the bullet on this one and reimburse you for it so that they aren't left open to honouring future error fares. On the other hand, if everyone was thinking like this (i.e. booking non-refundable hotels after ticket is issued), I suspect the airlines would be more likely to do the honourable thing since they know they'll be on the hook for the whole thing from the whole community versus it being an isolated incident.

Just my 2 cents.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AA plat, BA, B6, DL, UA gold, SPG/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I don't know about everyone else on FT but the first thing I do once my flight gets ticketed is book the corresponding hotel and ground transportation (i.e. I like to book everything related to the travel at once, once I've done the sufficient research before hand).
James many thanks. I have a different understanding of liability, so in contrast I do this last when I've knowingly booked an error fare.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:28 am

My priceline itinerary still shows active but the locator does not work on Air NZ website. Has anybody received refunds from Priceline?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Accor Silver
I am in the same boat as you MSPATIL1985. I just hope that the boat gets us to AKL

Last edited by binarycanary; Feb 6, 2018 at 12:31 am Reason: add username
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPATIL1985
My priceline itinerary still shows active but the locator does not work on Air NZ website. Has anybody received refunds from Priceline?
I received my refund a week ago
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:16 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by binarycanary
I am in the same boat as you MSPATIL1985. I just hope that the boat gets us to AKL
Amen! :P
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:37 pm

Has anyone been successful in getting a non-refundable expense reimbursement for a cancelled error fare?

Last edited by arcticgrin; Feb 10, 2018 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:45 pm

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​after 3 1/2 hours on the phone with PL they gave a 10% off car rental code and 5% hotel. Been too busy to send an escalation snail mail.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by binarycanary
any update on this? what was your flight date?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Accor Silver
No update ... May 25.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania
My thoughts exactly.
My flights are booked under an L fare and I have the fare rules - all 7 pages of them
Would you be able to send or post a copy of the fare rules for this please?
Old May 1, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: AA
Air New Zealand pulls two planes over engine troubles

Karma’s a ...

Air New Zealand’s flight troubles will extend into next week as the 787-9 aircraft’s troubled Trent 1000 engines continue to wreak havoc for the airline with two planes temporarily removed from service.

The news comes after approximately 9,000 passengers flying to the USA via Los Angeles and Houston and to Tokyo’s Haneda airport were affected by altered flight times last week due to issues with the Rolls-Royce engines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.