Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
What if I embed a segment in a fare break or as a side trip (or as a first segment!) into an itinerary and do a no show on that segment - will I be able to use the remaining part of the itinerary?

Of course there is often a requirement such as "full and consequent use of coupons" but in case of multi-carrier itineraries things become more complex.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Keter
What if I embed a segment in a fare break or as a side trip (or as a first segment!) into an itinerary and do a no show on that segment - will I be able to use the remaining part of the itinerary?

Of course there is often a requirement such as "full and consequent use of coupons" but in case of multi-carrier itineraries things become more complex.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but generally if you no-show for a segment, the rest are cancelled. That's why we put the superfluous one at the end.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:23 pm

The rest is cancelled in case the airline knows anything is no show (SU even cancels further segments on unrestricted fares). If another airline owns the ticket, the other airline will not know of no-show.

Also there are some quite unrestricted fares which allow no show at modest prices. So, in that case it is even more unlikely that anything like invalidation happens to the ticket.

It is also important that segments are governed by completely different fares, especially in case of end-on-end and side trips.

So, the question remains.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Keter
The rest is cancelled in case the airline knows anything is no show (SU even cancels further segments on unrestricted fares). If another airline owns the ticket, the other airline will not know of no-show.

Also there are some quite unrestricted fares which allow no show at modest prices. So, in that case it is even more unlikely that anything like invalidation happens to the ticket.

It is also important that segments are governed by completely different fares, especially in case of end-on-end and side trips.

So, the question remains.
You are right. I skipped 3 segments (!) in the middle of an award itinerary and was able to pick it up at another point. The segments I skipped were on two airlines, and the rest of the itinerary never used those airlines again. It was on a oneworld award issued by AA.
AA told me that the rest of the ticket would be cancelled, but I didn't have a choice, I had to skip the segments (no routing changes were possible). It was either that or buy a ticket; I had my fingers crossed but thankfully it worked out
I'm still not sure what the exact logic is behind no-show and cancellation of subsequent coupons.

EDIT: Are you suggesting that fare breaks might be the key?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blu816305
I'm getting $627.90 a/i with dump from BOS to Shanghai. I'm finding that sometimes, BOS about $100 less in base than NYC. Anyone else on here that would brave the $10 Bolt/Chinatown bus for an extra 4 hour trip (that doesn't accrue miles!) to save a couple of bucks?
I am getting $1500???
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Gold, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, IC Plat Ambassador, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I am getting $1500???
Yup, that was pre-watchdog drama and I doubt it's still available.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:18 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Third strikes were never the only form of Fuel Dumps... there are two others I know of that are still workable
Thanks for confirming flyinghigh77 and bmvaugh .

Last edited by Dalat767; Apr 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
You are right. I skipped 3 segments (!) in the middle of an award itinerary and was able to pick it up at another point. The segments I skipped were on two airlines, and the rest of the itinerary never used those airlines again. It was on a oneworld award issued by AA.
AA told me that the rest of the ticket would be cancelled, but I didn't have a choice, I had to skip the segments (no routing changes were possible). It was either that or buy a ticket; I had my fingers crossed but thankfully it worked out
I'm still not sure what the exact logic is behind no-show and cancellation of subsequent coupons.

Who was the ticket owner in your case?

Whatever the answer is I think the airlines have to communicate -manually- in case of multi-carrier no-shows and that should happen not earlier than any revenue department would ask itself how much revenue should it get from this no-show coupon. There could be the difference if the no-show segments are those of VC or not. And whether or not the fares are restricted. In latter case it could be that the communication will start 1 year after the no-show

But the point I am trying to make here is a bit broader: it could be better to have unused segment within another trip, rather than having it as an appendix. This has to do with fare rules. And I cannot find out which part of fare rules could be applied separately in case of end-on-end/ side trips (if could be at all). Can anyone help on that?

PS: I had SU, AF, AF, SU, SU itinerary on an unrestricted paid fare (SU ticket) and was no-show on the first segment. SU immediately cancelled segment #4 (but not #5 by some reason). AF segments disappeared only after the respective flight times passed.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Anyone was able to trick TK, ever? They have decent fares to Asia.

Fare (A1): TK LONSIN WPRO6M fare (rules) , psgr type ADT 99.50
Fare (A2): TK SINLON WPRO6M fare (rules) , psgr type ADT 99.50
Tax: United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty 55.00
Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge 22.97
Tax: Turkish Int'l Airport Service Charge 10.00
Tax: TK YR surcharge 194.00
Tax: Singapore Passenger Service Charge SGD 13
Tax: Singapore Aviation Levy SGD 6
Tax: Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge SGD 8
Total for 1 adult passenger: $709.80
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Third strikes were never the only form of Fuel Dumps... there are two others I know of that are still workable
Make that four if you include certain double - open jaws on certain carriers between certain continents and other cross -border itineraries.

Depend on which inter-continental itineraries we deal with.
North America - Europe
North America - Asia
North America South America
Europe - Asia
Europe - South America
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: *A

This may not apply to award tickets, but in my experience with ticketing on another airline, (i.e CO stock on UA flight or BA flight on AA stock) is generally that the other airline "kicks back" the used flight coupon. I remember trying to make a change right after deplaning from a BA flight ticketed on AA and when I called AA, I was told that BA hadn't kicked back the flight to ensure the flight was indeed used and I couldn't make a change til that happened

Same thing with CO on a UA booked flight.

So I'd think with a rev ticket, the itinerary would indeed be canceled.

YMMV
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mwitiiram
This may not apply to award tickets, but in my experience with ticketing on another airline, (i.e CO stock on UA flight or BA flight on AA stock) is generally that the other airline "kicks back" the used flight coupon. I remember trying to make a change right after deplaning from a BA flight ticketed on AA and when I called AA, I was told that BA hadn't kicked back the flight to ensure the flight was indeed used and I couldn't make a change til that happened

Same thing with CO on a UA booked flight.

So I'd think with a rev ticket, the itinerary would indeed be canceled.

YMMV
What you refer to is the coupon status in the electronic ticket. I think AA was wrong saying that they cannot change it. There are special change procedures for situations when the flight time passed but the coupon status has not yet been changed in the system (ie still shown as "OPEN").
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:43 am
Suspended

I've done the same myself, skipped first portion of a itineary, and proceeded at the other end with no problems.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hey everyone...been reading through and following this thread for a couple of months and until now haven't had the need to try and implement a FD...long story short, just got married and trying to orchestrate a long trip to visit family that I have in LIS and my wife has in MSP, with a stop in HNL on the way back to see the rest of the wife's family. I've pretty much picked random dates and I think this flight order has produced the lowest fares. I managed to get rid of a $280 YQ, however in doing so it changes the fare code for the flight's bolded below, causing an increase in base fare from $450 to $1,050.

Any way to prevent this or is this just an effect of dumping the YQ?

Here's the base fare construction with the YQ and then without:

LAX CO X/EWR CO LIS 465.00WH4NCE CO X/EWR CO MSP 440.00WH4NCE CO X/HOU CO HNL 450.88U303FMN CO LAX 285.91W03WKN NUC 1641.79 END ROE 1.00 FARE USD 1642.00 ZP EWR IAH MSP HNL XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 18.58US 48.40US 14.80ZP 10.00AY 9.00PT 17.80YP 280.00YQ 16.50XF EWR4.50 LAX4.50 IAH3.00 HNL4.50

LAX CO X/EWR CO LIS 465.00WH4NCE CO X/EWR CO MSP 440.00WH4NCE CO X/HOU CO HNL 1051.25Y8S HA LAX 348.90KLWOW /-LIS JK BCN 32.69UOWPE NUC 2337.84 END ROE 1.00 FARE USD 2338.00 ZP EWR IAH MSP HNL XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 48.40US 36.73US 14.80ZP 10.00AY 14.40PT 28.50YP 9.00XF EWR4.50 LAX4.50

[EDIT: Answered part of my own question]

Last edited by CalXSPE; Apr 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by CalXSPE
I managed to get rid of a $280 YQ, however in doing so it changes the fare code for the flight's bolded below, causing an increase in base fare from $450 to $1,050.

Any way to prevent this or is this just an effect of dumping the YQ?

Here's the base fare construction with the YQ and then without:

[EDIT: Answered part of my own question]
Suggestion: maybe delete the fare construction info from your post?

Anyway, this is getting complicated, but I would suggest breaking the TATL part from the domestic part. For instance, LAX-XXX-MSP-HNL-LAX, where XXX is the TATL gateway. But I would do that after finding the right XXX-LIS fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.