Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Ya, yesterday I booked and got ticketed a Tri-Continent USA-Europe-South America for $ 393.20.
^
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
...ITA was my partner and it did a lot of the combinatorial heavy lifting. I finally fully mastered the power of the " /F bc= " command to minimize the Base Fare after the YQ has been dropped. Before that I used to do a lot of fumbling in the dark to find optimal date combinations.
I have a lot of ITA experience but this has me puzzled. What is gained by searching for specific buckets and not just the cheapest fare with month-long searches? As always, pm if something sensitive is involved.

Originally Posted by phranticaw
It's 70degrees and sunny outside and I know I'll spend the rest of the weekend staring at ITA trying to learn again...
Originally Posted by TheBrain
Yep me too. It's all sunny outside and I'm reading and trying the ITA route language!
You'll appreciate all this learning when the weather turns nasty and you want to get away. So keep at it, don't post your findings, but share them with pm's.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: M&M
I would guess WWE did 30 day searches to find out on which days the lowest trickable fares are available per sector, then priced the whole itin using multi-city with the dates he found. I might be wrong.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:24 am

WingedWorldExplorer, you are the super hero!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
I would guess WWE did 30 day searches to find out on which days the lowest trickable fares are available per sector, then priced the whole itin using multi-city with the dates he found. I might be wrong.
I think you are correct, Frank. I'm still trying to crack the YQ dumps from WWE threads. I'm unable to get the fares that he is specified on his threads. ^ to you, WWE.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
WingedWorldExplorer, you are the super hero!
+1^
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Originally Posted by Dalat767
I think you are correct, Frank. I'm still trying to crack the YQ dumps from WWE threads. I'm unable to get the fares that he is specified on his threads. ^ to you, WWE.
So am I... five hours and counting, no luck so far. Any hints (PM) would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:14 pm

BD: Europe > IAH 236 ($363) in May

As per the title - YQ can be dumped on BD ex-Europe. Involves an open jaw. Have only tested in May (sample dates May 5 > 12). NYC is 231, ORD is 275. Won't work in reverse.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
I need to book a trip US-EU and US- AUS this summer (june/July). Anyone care to share by PM how to apply new tricks out of US?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by al613
I need to book a trip US-EU and US- AUS this summer (june/July). Anyone care to share by PM how to apply new tricks out of US?
I can't speak for WWE, but in answer to this question (lots of people have asked this by PM as well), the YQ dump I posted for US>EU isn't much use in June or July because other carriers have lower base fares - even though it still dumps, it only ends up on par with other carriers. It's only really useful for May at the mo.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by pibrahim
I can't speak for WWE, but in answer to this question (lots of people have asked this by PM as well), the YQ dump I posted for US>EU isn't much use in June or July because other carriers have lower base fares - even though it still dumps, it only ends up on par with other carriers. It's only really useful for May at the mo.
Thanks for reply. If someone finds something for the summer, please, let me know. Also, I think, more people (not dogs ) work on it, more results we will have.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:17 pm
ccf
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by aktchi
You'll appreciate all this learning when the weather turns nasty and you want to get away. So keep at it, don't post your findings, but share them with pm's.
With travels plans full for the next 320+/- days, I admittedly am only intellectually curious in the latest version of FD's. I've missed the boat on the OJ/3 continent approaches. For no good reason other than trying to catch up to the conversation, I'd love to mess around with ideas, but am fried trying to decypher recent posts. Can you share some info/give sample itn? If so, thx. If not, I understand.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM (w/ AmEx), Finnair
Lol, I've been at this for ~3 hours and have figured out the ITA stuff, but once I try to get fancy with it ITA just dumps out internal server errors. So far, had two different hops for around 450 but couldn't connect the dots, so to speak (and no, not open jaws).

+1 to WWE for being smarter than ITA, I guess I'm just not.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by aktchi
I have a lot of ITA experience but this has me puzzled. What is gained by searching for specific buckets and not just the cheapest fare with month-long searches? As always, pm if something sensitive is involved.
I don't know the reasoning, but sometimes it will not pick the lowest possible fare buckets. You will then have to tell it to choose the appropriate ones.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
I don't know the reasoning, but sometimes it will not pick the lowest possible fare buckets. You will then have to tell it to choose the appropriate ones.
First of all, I myself also drop several hours trying to understand if I can still find any FD after the doom day. But of course no clue so far.

I'm just wondering if you have to force ITA to search the lowest fare and get the result, how you can do the same thing on the big O?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.