Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Reservation gone: 057 AF ticket booked on Big O. No cancellation email or contact.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
and, i've just received my third call telling me of my ticket cancelation. now it is starting to feel like they are rubbing salt in the wound.
My thought after I received my second call.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brodielayne
My thought after I received my second call.
You can't deny that they're being very thorough.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 355F1

same here today. And the call sounded like it was on a crappy voice over internet line.
I just received a second call, this time I was able to answer it. It was definitely from a call center on the Indian subcontinent. She advised me that the flight for which I purchased the ticket was cancelled and promised a quick refund.

I asked about compensation or a goodwill gesture in the form of miles or a discount voucher for future travel to make up for the trouble and disappointment of the cancelled booking. She told me that she is calling from a notification center and that I'd have to contact the local Air France office for any further assistance.

Can't say that I'm impressed with the way that AF is handling this fiasco.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by obduro
Because not everybody pays on credit card for one thing

Similarly with the AZ FLR-DUS fare, a number of people (myself included) had difficulty getting chargebacks to clear because of complex charges when purchasing through OTAs. I bought via Expedia but was charged by Alitalia for some tickets and Expedia for others, and Amex had difficulty pinning down who was responsible for issuing the refund and in the end had to close the chargeback case as Alitalia had said they would issue a refund but it was subject to their 12 week period.

So it's not always an open and shut case unfortunately.
Not paying with a credit card? Really? While possible, it has to be a one-off here or there and not worthy of a discussion on an internet board.

If you buy from an OTA and see a charge from multiple vendors, you still dispute it with each and everyone. It takes about five minutes. And the credit is immediate. And if the vendor does not respond in 30 days, the credit is permanent. (It is the law in the USA and not open to interpretation.) You are not doing anything wrong by disputing the charge. You did not receive the goods.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:58 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Reservation gone: 057 AF ticket booked on Big O. No cancellation email or contact.
Same here, no cancellation email from AF or Big O.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:44 pm

I booked through a traditional travel agent. Today I got this message via email. They had my email from the contacts information.
The reservation is still alive in the agency system and the Air France system which seems odd. I guess they have communicated with the agency who they expect to cancel. I guess they would manually go in and do if the agency didn't take action.

Dear Customer,

Due to a system error, your ticket/s for travel on Air France in La Première/First Class which was recently purchased has to be cancelled and will be fully refunded.
We request you to contact your travel agent for further assistance related to the refund.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Air France
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
I just received a second call, this time I was able to answer it. It was definitely from a call center on the Indian subcontinent. She advised me that the flight for which I purchased the ticket was cancelled and promised a quick refund.

I asked about compensation or a goodwill gesture in the form of miles or a discount voucher for future travel to make up for the trouble and disappointment of the cancelled booking. She told me that she is calling from a notification center and that I'd have to contact the local Air France office for any further assistance.

Can't say that I'm impressed with the way that AF is handling this fiasco.
I’m not sure how AF/DL could better handle this. They are calling (not just emailing), and more or less emailed everyone within 24-48 hours. As long as refunds don’t take too long, how could we expect anything more?

Even those who booked prepaid hotels etc around these flights, if they are for some time in the future, I would only expect them to cover penalties for cancelling or changing dates vs. covering the entire stay (which is fair).

As for goodwill gestures, they would be nice but hardly necessary in this situation. Yes it was a mistake on their end, but 95%+ of people booking this did so with their eyes open and with the knowledge of risk.

If people are flying shortly, then negotiating J for the fare booked is probably as fair as it can get.

bodory and Goldorak like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TyPo311
You can't deny that they're being very thorough.
Lol. They cancelled mine without an email or call. Thorough?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by transparent

I’m not sure how AF/DL could better handle this. They are calling (not just emailing), and more or less emailed everyone within 24-48 hours. As long as refunds don’t take too long, how could we expect anything more?

Even those who booked prepaid hotels etc around these flights, if they are for some time in the future, I would only expect them to cover penalties for cancelling or changing dates vs. covering the entire stay (which is fair).

As for goodwill gestures, they would be nice but hardly necessary in this situation. Yes it was a mistake on their end, but 95%+ of people booking this did so with their eyes open and with the knowledge of risk.

If people are flying shortly, then negotiating J for the fare booked is probably as fair as it can get.

They should cover the entire stay. Your 95% figure is awfully skewed; no way 95% of the people booking on any airline website know anything about fares or fare rules

Goodwill gestures are absolutely necessary because this airline is saying that they can randomly decide to cancel tickets after issuance. When we make errors, we have to pay at least $200. Why don't they get held to at least the same standard? And guess what? I'll be letting AirFrance know that I'll be directing my team's travel never be booked on them again for lack of reliability.

Finally, no - negotiating for J without downgrade compensation is not fair. These tickets were booked in F class. It befuddles me how you all think an airline charging an obscene $16K for a ticket is ok - as long as the amount is egregious - but if it starts to seem too low to any such apologists out there given some random line in the sand they draw - then we must all be clairvoyants upon booking.
palmanfr and flyer05 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
When it comes to being reimbursed for nonrefundable expenses, is the cut off window based on when they actually cancelled the ticket or when they notified you? I have not been notified at all yet.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
They should cover the entire stay. Your 95% figure is awfully skewed; no way 95% of the people booking on any airline website know anything about fares or fare rules
He said 95% of the folks booking this *fare* not booking on the website. I'd guess that is correct. I really doubt AF normally sells 4000 F seats in a couple of hours on a normal day to non-FT type folks. The vast majority of folks booking this *fare* knew exactly what was going on. This may not have been handled perfectly but it really wasn't all that bad compared to some other airlines as long as the refunds are timely.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
And guess what? I'll be letting AirFrance know that I'll be directing my team's travel never be booked on them again for lack of reliability..
Ohhh noooo!! Air France is sunk.
bodory, SFO777 and SimonSC like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Anyone gotten their AF refund on their CC yet?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimonSC
Anyone gotten their AF refund on their CC yet?
My Delta refunds came through this morning.
SimonSC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.