Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
mine is still sitting in pending. i used an AMEX Plat card.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
mine is still sitting in pending. i used an AMEX Plat card.
Same, my was booked directly with AF. I suspect they are simply cancelling or not accepting the payment and at some point the charge will drop. Much better process than what DL is doing.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:24 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by SimonSC
Anyone gotten their AF refund on their CC yet?
Canceled yesterday, the transaction was posted yesterday. Nothing pending yet. It does show the posted charge as if it was directly from AF.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
They should cover the entire stay. Your 95% figure is awfully skewed; no way 95% of the people booking on any airline website know anything about fares or fare rules

Goodwill gestures are absolutely necessary because this airline is saying that they can randomly decide to cancel tickets after issuance. When we make errors, we have to pay at least $200. Why don't they get held to at least the same standard? And guess what? I'll be letting AirFrance know that I'll be directing my team's travel never be booked on them again for lack of reliability.

Finally, no - negotiating for J without downgrade compensation is not fair. These tickets were booked in F class. It befuddles me how you all think an airline charging an obscene $16K for a ticket is ok - as long as the amount is egregious - but if it starts to seem too low to any such apologists out there given some random line in the sand they draw - then we must all be clairvoyants upon booking.
I definitely agree the regulation around mistakes/errors should be improved. I like the idea that however long airlines get to cancel without penalty, customers should as well. But after that, there should be a penalty (paid to the customer) or they have to honor.

If you are saying that you 100% believed this fare was totally normal and there was no risk to cancellation as a result, then I think you may have a point as for "randomly cancelling", yet, AF was cancelling/notifying very quickly, definitely within 24-48 hours, so it's not like they kept us in limbo for a week or more. (And I find it hard to believe someone participating in this thread would have been one of the smaller number of people who had no idea this was a unique situation)

Lastly, why should they pay for your entire stay? What's fair is to make you whole. That means, if you now need to change your dates because you need to rebook flights, they should pay change fees or penalties for changing. If you need to cancel, they should pay any penalties. Most flights you can change with a fee. Most hotels will change dates with a penalty (or even for free if you ask nicely) especially if you just booked a couple days ago.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:36 pm

How about for those of us that actually took over 80 hours for them to cancel the reservation and as of yet have not eve received an email or phone call directly from AF? Actually, when I looked after 24 hours, 8/9 seats where sold. After 48 hours everyone except my reservation was cancelled. After 72 hours, my reservation was still active. At this point I booked a train ticket to go to York, and 3 nights of hotel (1 in York and 2 in London) at the usual hotels I stay at. I did not go over board. Then few hours later the reservation stopped showing active. I had to call AF in Paris where they declined to do anything as I booked thru Expedia. They said I need to call them so they can call their AF Liaison. I have not been on the phone with Expedia for 3 1/2 hours and AF is hiding under DOT regulations on why they will cancel the ticket. Unfortunately they seem not to want to read or understand the full DOT regulation regarding Mistake Fares when it gets to having to pay for expenses. They told the agent that the best they can do was to refund the ticket fully. How generous of them! I pulled the policy and forward it to expedia. The manager at expedia read it and completely agrees and says it is very clear what the rule says. He is calling AF as I am typing this again to tell them what they must do. So do I believe they are handling it right? Absolutely not. I did not ask them to sell me a wrong fare. They shot themselves by publishing this fare and then hiding under DOT regulations. Now they just told the poor expedia agent that they need to contact Corporate Support in the US. They have no idea what they are doing. What should I do t force them to pay for my expenses? DOT complain?
TWA884 and palmanfr like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
DL charged my credit card on Dec 20. Both refunds appeared today, back dated to Dec 22nd. Much better than the AZ nonsense on the DUS-FLR tickets.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by transparent
I’m not sure how AF/DL could better handle this. They are calling (not just emailing), and more or less emailed everyone within 24-48 hours. As long as refunds don’t take too long, how could we expect anything more?
For starters, having the calls made by representatives who provide correct information - the flight which I was booked on was not canceled - and are able to go beyond merely reading an inaccurate prepared script.
Captain Canuck and palmanfr like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Many
When we make errors, we have to pay at least $200. Why don't they get held to at least the same standard?
When you make an error, you have 24 hours to cancel your booking.

And guess what? I'll be letting AirFrance know that I'll be directing my team's travel never be booked on them again for lack of reliability.
Have fun!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by bodory
When you make an error, you have 24 hours to cancel your booking.
I believe the argument is the airlines have a much longer grace period, or lack thereof, than we do when it comes to erroneous bookings.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy

I believe the argument is the airlines have a much longer grace period, or lack thereof, than we do when it comes to erroneous bookings.
This was a fully flexible and refundable fare. We were free to make changes and cancel without penalty. While agreeing that some goodwill gesture is appropriate, I think this approach is flawed for this particular error fare.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Not paying with a credit card? Really? While possible, it has to be a one-off here or there and not worthy of a discussion on an internet board.
Not at all. In many European countries - DE & NL for example - paying by direct bank transfer [Sofort Überweisung; Ideal; etc] are favoured by many agents, meaning they are the cheapest means of payment
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cascade
When it comes to being reimbursed for nonrefundable expenses, is the cut off window based on when they actually cancelled the ticket or when they notified you? I have not been notified at all yet.
You know you won't be travelling on this ticket.

To now make further non-refundable purchases therefore is either foolhardy or spiteful.

Happy Christmas though.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally, no - negotiating for J without downgrade compensation is not fair. These tickets were booked in F class. It befuddles me how you all think an airline charging an obscene $16K for a ticket is ok - as long as the amount is egregious - but if it starts to seem too low to any such apologists out there given some random line in the sand they draw - then we must all be clairvoyants upon booking.
The fare was cheaper than business or premium economy and only marginally more expensive than Economy.

For the people who genuinely stumbled upon this fare - seeing that First was substantially cheaper than two "lower" classed - or for those who selected First in the booking tool because that is their usual class of travel - it would have been obvious that something was not quite right.

For everyone else - myself included - who piled in thanks to the blogs in the hope that it may be a Christmas miracle - sorry to break your bubble, but our "intelligence" at following fare alerts doesn't entitle us to "punish" the airline for their lesser intelligence.

If you feel so aggrieved at all this - fine, exact your revenge. It seems a petty and mean thing to do.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not at all. In many European countries - DE & NL for example - paying by direct bank transfer [Sofort Überweisung; Ideal; etc] are favoured by many agents, meaning they are the cheapest means of payment
Fair enough. But my original post was in response to people concerned about not getting their money back on their cc for 1-2 cycles.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You know you won't be travelling on this ticket.

To now make further non-refundable purchases therefore is either foolhardy or spiteful.

Happy Christmas though.
It was just a question. Where is the line drawn? Is it on the customer to check their reservation hourly before they make any coordinating bookings or should the airline notify the passenger before or at least at the time of cancellation? As others have pointed out there is a glaring double standard that needs to be addressed. Canceling my ticket 5 days later without any notification feels pretty spiteful on the receiving end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.