Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mills1090
I was able to prompt the DL.com change flight tool to price out new segments, which raised the question in my mind.
I have no experience with DL.com so don't know whether or how much better it is at dealing self-initiated changes.

AF.com is pretty basic in that regard.

Originally Posted by mills1090
Whether that tool would allow me to execute a change, might be subject to safe gaurds or errors, but I was able to get to the checkout page FWIW, but decided against taking any action as the desired outcome wouldn't work because I would be subject to new fare rules.
What are the new fare rules? And why is that important? Are you still unwilling to commit to any travel at all? If you can parlay this ticket into a better ticket (i.e. one you are more certain you will use), can you not just make your mind up and stick with your choice?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iAmJacksFlyerTalk
Honestly, the amount of FT-ers that defend various airlines during these mistake fare fiascos is pretty amusing to me.

In any other line of business, it would be considered a criminal act if you fairly and legally purchased something at a register, paid the price you were asked to pay, and walked out with the product, only to have the seller sneak into your home in the middle of the night and steal it back because the corporation "realized the price was too low" later on. "Hey, but don't worry, we refunded your credit card. You'll see it back on your statement in 4 to 6 weeks."
THIS +10 ^^
palmanfr likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I have no experience with DL.com so don't know whether or how much better it is at dealing self-initiated changes.

AF.com is pretty basic in that regard.

What are the new fare rules? And why is that important? Are you still unwilling to commit to any travel at all? If you can parlay this ticket into a better ticket (i.e. one you are more certain you will use), can you not just make your mind up and stick with your choice?
The new fare would require a change fee so it would be no different than cancelling this ticket and purchasing a new one... The idea was that if the new fare didn't require a change fee I would have a somewhat flexible DL ticket for future travel.

Since that is not the case I will let this cancel then purchase a new ticket at a later date (because I think the price will go down).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Also got an AF cancellation email + 10K points as goodwill. I am a flyingblue platinum member. That is very generous of them :-)

I don't get the comments on "defending airlines". Nobody is defending the airline - AF is operating within the law. They are explicitly allowed to cancel these fares. Protest the law, not the airline. I like that tit-for-tat rule - airlines should have the same cancellation window that passengers do. Let's try to make that happen.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Also got an AF cancellation email + 10K points as goodwill. I am a flyingblue platinum member. That is very generous of them :-)

That is a good way to be proactive and acknowledge they messed up not us. Seems like you are the only one thus far to receive a nice gesture of any form.

Nothing from AF for me yet.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

I don't get the comments on "defending airlines". Nobody is defending the airline - AF is operating within the law. They are explicitly allowed to cancel these fares. Protest the law, not the airline. I like that tit-for-tat rule - airlines should have the same cancellation window that passengers do. Let's try to make that happen.
Hold the phone. I'm a Delta Diamond, so now I want a goodwill gesture too if they cancel me!

If these guys start giving out goodwill gestures for people booking mistake fares on fully refundable flights, that will be a new and potentially valuable chapter in the miles world.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
no calls no emails as of yet. i booked at 7:30am yesterday and my flight was canceled around 4:00pm PST.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
That is generous. Now your next one way SFO-CDG La Premire award ticket will only cost 190,000 FlyingBlue miles.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Anyone have their DL tickets cancelled yet? I haven't checked directly on DL, but i have yet received a cancellation email from DL. Only a matter of time i guess...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by emofeng
Anyone have their DL tickets cancelled yet? I haven't checked directly on DL, but i have yet received a cancellation email from DL. Only a matter of time i guess...
Mine are still there, nothing from DL as of yet. Can change seats and whatnot. Shows on airfrance.us, klm, and saudia as well.

One thing of note is that on the Delta website is says the arrival time is 11:00am, where airfrance and others say its 11:05am, not sure if that makes a difference, but it has been that way since booking.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:22 pm

It's shocking to me that airfare pricing databases can be administered by humans in such a way that make enormous mistakes like this possible. You'd think there'd be a basic chart, updated annually, with minimum suggested fares sorted by region and class of service, that the pricing database cross references against during manual overrides. The manually inputted fare is absurdly low compared to this minimum threshold chart? The system double confirms with the administrator or flags a revenue manager for review.

The airlines *could* take the time and money and invest such pricing database upgrades, but so long as there's no consequences for their mistakes (aside from one day of annoying phone calls for their minions) they'll never bother.

If airlines were mandated to honor mistake fares, you'd see all kinds of backend code changes go into effect to prevent a pricing mistake from ever occuring again.
palmanfr and PV_Premier like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by iAmJacksFlyerTalk
It's shocking to me that airfare pricing databases can be administered by humans in such a way that make enormous mistakes like this possible. You'd think there'd be a basic chart, updated annually, with minimum suggested fares sorted by region and class of service, that the pricing database cross references against during manual overrides. The manually inputted fare is absurdly low compared to this minimum threshold chart? The system double confirms with the administrator or flags a revenue manager for review.

The airlines *could* take the time and money and invest such pricing database upgrades, but so long as there's no consequences for their mistakes (aside from one day of annoying phone calls for their minions) they'll never bother.

If airlines were mandated to honor mistake fares, you'd see all kinds of backend code changes go into effect to prevent a pricing mistake from ever occuring again.
On the flip side, if it happened all the time, then customers would grow weary of the airline and the airline would begin to lose customer goodwill. There is not a moral hazard here.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by josephstern
On the flip side, if it happened all the time, then customers would grow weary of the airline and the airline would begin to lose customer goodwill. There is not a moral hazard here.
Not really, because there are a finite number of airlines and people need to travel. While AF may lose a few customers out of this, it is only a matter of time before DL/AA/UA/LH/etc/etc have the same thing happen, and the outcome of those error fares is going to be the exact same. We will all be frustrated, and the airlines will continue to have the license to say "oops" 24, 36, or god knows how many hours after the fact. Eventually, we will be frustrated with all of the airlines, but we'll still want or need to travel.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:35 pm

If you already flew the first leg on mistake fare, can airline cancel your return trip?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by hondaman82
If you already flew the first leg on mistake fare, can airline cancel your return trip?

I don't believe there are regulations on that. I believe, historically, the airlines have not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.