Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AS: 2016-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

Qualification requirements

Three ways to qualify for each level: miles on Alaska only (includes Alaska flights operated by Horizon or Skywest), combination of miles on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners), or combination of segments on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners).

MVP: 20,000 miles on Alaska/25,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/30 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

MVP Gold: 40,000 miles on Alaska/50,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/60 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

75K: 75,000 miles on Alaska/90,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/90 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners
Print Wikipost

AS: 2016-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by eatyourcarrots
Will be about 11k miles short of MVP Gold on Alaska for 2017. Looking to do a couple of roundtrip or multicity flights to get my miles in. Open to redeye flights and same day turnarounds. Purely for miles, not looking to spend any time anywhere.

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 11,000
Required Spend or Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Any weekends through the end of the year are best with extra weekday flexibility from 11/13 - 11/20
I'd look at VX LAX-PHL-LAX for $229, which is eligible for the double miles promo (4,790 EQM / 9,580 RDM).

To get it done in one trip, LATAM LAX-LIM-SCL-LIM-LAX on 12/02-12/03 is $787 (11,382 EQM/RDM) -- or $758 if you stay a night.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: alaska airlines
Hey all, just joined and going through this thread.

I'm about to hit MVP Gold after some AS/VX and one BA flight. Will have the following needs:

Departure Airport: SFO
Miles Needed: 25,000 *
Required Spend or Budget: I'm booking with Amex points here, so <$1,200 cash value
Available Travel Dates: Any days outside of holidays on Tuesday or Thursday (same day turnarounds)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AS/VX only

Any thoughts, all? Appreciate any help.

* I'm assuming I can go for 25k miles after I use both AS/VS and BA metal for the MVP Gold qualification - or does any flights on non AS/VX mean the next tier requires more points?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by zorz
* I'm assuming I can go for 25k miles after I use both AS/VS and BA metal for the MVP Gold qualification - or does any flights on non AS/VX mean the next tier requires more points?
See the wiki at the top! Assuming you have 50,000 miles of AS/VX & BA (for MVP Gold), you'll need either 40,000 additional miles to qualify for the 75K level using partner miles (90,000 total miles).

Alternatively, having reached MVP Gold via partners you can qualify for 75K by reaching 75,000 miles on AS/VX only.

So say if you will have 37,000 AS/VX miles and 13,000 BA miles for Gold, you'd need to fly either 40,000 more miles as any combination of partners and AS/VX to reach 90,000 OR 38,000 AS/VX miles to reach 75,000 miles.

Or you can qualify by flying 90 segments total. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
See the wiki at the top! Assuming you have 50,000 miles of AS/VX & BA (for MVP Gold), you'll need either 40,000 additional miles to qualify for the 75K level using partner miles (90,000 total miles).

Alternatively, having reached MVP Gold via partners you can qualify for 75K by reaching 75,000 miles on AS/VX only.

So say if you will have 37,000 AS/VX miles and 13,000 BA miles for Gold, you'd need to fly either 40,000 more miles as any combination of partners and AS/VX to reach 90,000 OR 38,000 AS/VX miles to reach 75,000 miles.

Or you can qualify by flying 90 segments total. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the help!

To clarify, what I'm curious about is this scenario:

1. I have 27k miles right now and will do a BA flight in a few weeks with the 50% class of service bonus SFO->LHR
2. After that flight I'm going to do a mileage run on AS/VX that will tip me over 50k miles total
3. Once I'm over the 50k with BA - does that mean Another 25k miles on AS/VX only will tip me to MVP 75k? Or if *any partner is in the mix at all* then I have to hit 90k miles?

This is so I can figure out if I should mileage run a bunch of times to NYC (I can do a one-day turnaround and work on the plane). I would need to do five of these if I'm trying to hit MVP G75k.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, Delta, Hilton
Virgin Silver to Alaska MVP

Hello! I am under the impression that folks who earn Virgin Elevate Silver in 2017 will be rolled over to MVP on Alaska in 2018. Is that right?

I am planning on earning Silver by flying 15 segments on Virgin this year.

Any ideas?

Last edited by zoefish; Oct 26, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by zorz
Thanks for the help!

To clarify, what I'm curious about is this scenario:

1. I have 27k miles right now and will do a BA flight in a few weeks with the 50% class of service bonus SFO->LHR
2. After that flight I'm going to do a mileage run on AS/VX that will tip me over 50k miles total
3. Once I'm over the 50k with BA - does that mean Another 25k miles on AS/VX only will tip me to MVP 75k? Or if *any partner is in the mix at all* then I have to hit 90k miles?

This is so I can figure out if I should mileage run a bunch of times to NYC (I can do a one-day turnaround and work on the plane). I would need to do five of these if I'm trying to hit MVP G75k.
It's 90,000 miles when using partner miles as part of the qualification.

However, having using partner miles for Gold, you don't necessarily have to use partner miles to qualify for 75K. Each of the three ways to qualify (AS/VX miles, AS/VX+partner miles, or segments) is tracked separately and which ever one reaches the threshold of the individual tracks is enough. But you can't just earn 25,000 miles beyond 50,000 mix of partners & AS/VX to reach the 75K level.

This is kind of getting off track from mileage run requests, though know how many miles you'd need is important part of that so I hope this will be allowed.

Last edited by rustykettel; Oct 22, 2017 at 11:41 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's 90,000 miles when using partner miles as part of the qualification.

However, having using partner miles for Gold, you don't necessarily have to use partner miles to qualify for 75K. Each of the three ways to qualify (AS/VX miles, AS/VX+partner miles, or segments) is tracked separately and which ever one reaches the threshold of the individual tracks is enough. But you can't just earn 25,000 miles beyond 50,000 mix of partners & AS/VX to reach the 75K level.

This is kind of getting off track from mileage run requests, though know how many miles you'd need is important part of that so I hope this will be allowed.
Thanks Rusty, that really helps me confirm. So, with that in mind - new request:

Departure Airport: SFO
Miles Needed: 39,000
Required Spend or Budget: I'm booking with Amex points here, so <$2,000 cash value
Available Travel Dates: Any days outside of holidays on Tuesday or Thursday (same day turnarounds)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: *Any* EGM AS/VX partner carriers as I need to tip over the 90k threshold for MVPG75k
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Dear Collective Wisdom,

I wasn't planning on an end-of-year mileage run but I'm looking into the possibility now:

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: 10,050 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: <$400 (I know...not likely)
Available Travel Dates: most dates between now and end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshare and partners OK

The reason I'm turning to the forum is that for many codeshare partners, EQM is now only a percentage depending on the class of ticket. Way too complex for me to do more than some general searches. Because of some partner flights this year, I actually need fewer partner miles to 50K then Alaska miles to 40K.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Last edited by SeattleRedBear; Oct 26, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
Dear Collective Wisdom,

I wasn't planning on an end-of-year mileage run but I'm looking into the possibility now:

Miles Needed: 10,050 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: <$400 (I know...not likely)
Available Travel Dates: most dates between now and end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshare and partners OK

The reason I'm turning to the forum is that for many codeshare partners, EQM is now only a percentage depending on the class of ticket. Way too complex for me to do more than some general searches. Because of some partner flights this year, I actually need fewer partner miles to 50K then Alaska miles to 40K.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
A bit over at $516 for ~10525 miles

SEA-PDX-BOS-SEA for $295 on 12/8 https://goo.gl/flights/cXiy
SEA-BOS RT for $221 on 12/6 or 12/9 https://goo.gl/flights/NtBG
Arthrovine likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS Gold
Miles Needed: 10, 975
Required Spend or Budget: ~$400 max (prefer ~$300 max) for any of the below trips
Available Travel Dates:
  • need to go to NYC area or PHL weekend of Nov 3 (one way) could travel from mid-afternoon on Nov 3...need to be at destination by Nov 5 evening
  • could also travel SEA-xxx-SEA weekend of Nov 17
[*]also need to travel SEA-NYC or PHL b/w Dec 15-Dec 23 (one way)[/LIST]Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Alaska / Virgin only (seeking Gold status w/out partner miles)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: Alaska
Mileage run searching on Alaska

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Any decent same day return to do a run out of SJC before the year is over?

How is everyone searching for these deals?
So I see there are flights from SJC to EWR midweek in December. An hour in the airport and back on the same plan for $130 each way. That's about as good as a cost/mile as you can ever get. I fly a SEA to JFK that is similar, but it's a redye and I'm back to work by 11. What I do is I go to the Wikipedia page for your airport, and they will have routes flown by each airline. That's how I know they flew SJC to EWR. Then use the low fair calendar.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:55 pm

Hello all.

I am 10650 miles away from MVPG and would like to get there asap. Doing this purely as a mileage run. But don't mind spending the night.

Departure Airport: PDX
Miles Needed: 10650
Required Spend or Budget: < $1800
Available Travel Dates: weekends
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AS or codeshare ok. First/Bus or Int'l ok (if good deal)

Last edited by Arthrovine; Nov 2, 2017 at 3:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
If you want same-day turns, PDX-EWR-PDX on Dec 2 and Dec 9 for $243. If you don't mind redeyes, you could do PDX-JFK-PDX Dec 2/3, and you'd get the double miles (RDM only) for that route. Two of those gets you close.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA PLAT
Hey folks, short of MVP Gold status and based in SFO. Currently MVP Gold through AA status match. Have some flexibility before EOY but it needs to be a short trip (max 3 days). Slightly prefer international over hops to the East Coast and back.

Departure Airport: SFO (willing to reposition to LAX)
Miles Needed: 11K for MVP Gold (if 75K is in the cards for under $2k... I'm all ears)
Required Spend or Budget: Ideally under $1K, but willing to go above for PE/J
Available Travel Dates: 11/6-11/25 (except 11/13) or 12/4 to 12/15
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares ok.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by mresolver
Hey folks, short of MVP Gold status and based in SFO. Currently MVP Gold through AA status match. Have some flexibility before EOY but it needs to be a short trip (max 3 days). Slightly prefer international over hops to the East Coast and back.

Departure Airport: SFO (willing to reposition to LAX)
Miles Needed: 11K for MVP Gold (if 75K is in the cards for under $2k... I'm all ears)
Required Spend or Budget: Ideally under $1K, but willing to go above for PE/J
Available Travel Dates: 11/6-11/25 (except 11/13) or 12/4 to 12/15
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares ok.
SFO-LAX-PHL-LAX-SFO red-eye overnight turns.

Examples: Trip 1

Trip 2

$298 x 2 = $596. Mileage should net you 5,780 round trip so it'll put you just over the mark to beat.

LAX-PHL also qualifies for double miles promotion so be sure to register that.

With MVPG, the whole thing should net you 11,560 EQM and 32,680 RDM (if I'm doing my math right)

Last edited by Justin Go; Nov 7, 2017 at 8:51 pm Reason: doublemiles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.