Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AS: 2016-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

Qualification requirements

Three ways to qualify for each level: miles on Alaska only (includes Alaska flights operated by Horizon or Skywest), combination of miles on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners), or combination of segments on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners).

MVP: 20,000 miles on Alaska/25,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/30 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

MVP Gold: 40,000 miles on Alaska/50,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/60 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

75K: 75,000 miles on Alaska/90,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/90 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners
Print Wikipost

AS: 2016-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:13 pm

Removing the request as I found it myself.

Last edited by sd_moving; Dec 5, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:09 am

Unexpected mileage earned

Hi all!
I'm a recent transfer from VX to Alaska. I didn't really plan on getting status with Alaska this year, but as it turns out, i earned 17558 miles from my last trip on Japan airlines (that was 3 weeks ago). I didn't think I'd earn that much because I only paid $320 for my fare.

Anyways, is it worth it to go for a mileage run to earn 7442 miles to get to MVP? Is this easily doable? Departure airport is LAX.

Thank you!

Last edited by larapanget; Dec 5, 2017 at 9:10 am Reason: need to add departure airport
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by larapanget
Hi all!
I'm a recent transfer from VX to Alaska. I didn't really plan on getting status with Alaska this year, but as it turns out, i earned 17558 miles from my last trip on Japan airlines (that was 3 weeks ago). I didn't think I'd earn that much because I only paid $320 for my fare.

Anyways, is it worth it to go for a mileage run to earn 7442 miles to get to MVP? Is this easily doable? Departure airport is LAX.

Thank you!
Really tough to say. How much do you travel? How much of that travel would be on AS/VX metal?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SPG, Chase (CSR), UA
Thumbs up Do it!

Hi all!

Thank you!
It's only 20,000 miles for MVP which means you only need 2442 miles. I would definitely do it especially if you fly on Alaska even occasionally. I just qualified a few weeks ago and my first Alaska flight, I got a confirmed upgrade to First. What's your home airport? Edit: i see you posted that.

Edit 2: One great option:
https://goo.gl/flights/9bW3 - LAX-DAL-LAX on VX this Saturday - $231, 2,480 miles. Double check with Alaska's site to make sure my mileage distance figure is correct since this is cutting it very close so you want their official number.

Edit 3: Care to share the details on that JAL flight that earned over 17,000 miles on a $350 ticket? You're actually the mileage run expert by my reckoning. If I could book such a ticket this year, I'd go for MVP Gold!

Last edited by daniel949; Dec 5, 2017 at 9:48 pm Reason: added a decent mileage run option
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by daniel949
It's only 20,000 miles for MVP which means you only need 2442 miles.
When you're doing a mix of Alaska and partners (JAL was mentioned), MVP requires 25,000 miles. It's the same reason I had to do 90K this year for MVPG 75K (mixture of AA, QF, Alaska, Virgin America).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Anyways, is it worth it to go for a mileage run to earn 7442 miles to get to MVP?
As Justin Go asked, it really comes down to how much you intend to travel next year, and a secondary factor would be if that travel would be on Alaska with 50% bonus miles at the MVP level, on top of 100% base miles, or with partners that may accrue more or less depending where you fly and fare class. You really need to add up the numbers as to what it would cost you to reach MVP with the remaining time in December versus the value of the extra mileage/bonus miles you'd accrue based on anticipated 2018 flying at the MVP level.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:30 am

thanks, guys! I have a hawaii trip planned next year and will be flying AS. there might also be some mexico and canada mixed in. I will also be flying at least one or two short hauls every quarter. the main reason I want to get status is because AS will be my main replacement for VX which was the airline I used almost exclusively for seattle/portland and east coast flights. I enjoyed my free checked bags and priority boarding which is priceless for someone who travels with a toddler.

and yes, because the 17k+ was earned on JAL, i need 7442 more to reach mvp. I just think if the 7k is doable on less than $500 it might be worth it.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by daniel949

Edit 3: Care to share the details on that JAL flight that earned over 17,000 miles on a $350 ticket? You're actually the mileage run expert by my reckoning. If I could book such a ticket this year, I'd go for MVP Gold!
it was a mistake fare to singapore that I booked a few months ago. I needed to be there for a wedding so I was just happy to book a flight for $327 to be exact. I really didn't think it would earn anything since it booked on (N) so should only earn 30% but I submitted my boarding pass stubs and they credited me 100%.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: 3757
Required Spend or Budget: none
Available Travel Dates: flexible (need to book or fly pre 2018? not sure how this works)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: codeshare fine

This is my first post. I am not well versed in the FF world. Currently, I am MVP gold 75k. I am 3757 miles short of qualifying for MVP gold next year. I would greatly prefer planes I can chose exit row seats on since I am 6'8".

Thanks for all your help. If there are any general tips on how to figure this out on my own, please let me know. Thank you!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by qupasyd
Premium economy (Main Cabin Select) on Virgin America is worth 150% EQM. You could try playing around with multi-city on Google Flights.

For example:

PDX-SFO-LAX-SFO-PHL-SFO-PDX in VX MCS on 12/09-12/10 is $831
- 10,713 EQM (7,142 base miles + 50% class of service bonus)
- 17,305 RDM with double miles promo

PDX-SFO-LAX-SFO-LAX-FLL-LAX-SFO-PDX in VX MCS on 12/09-12/10 is $861
- 11,676 EQM (7,784 base miles + 50% class of service bonus)
- 13,676 RDM with double miles promo

thank you so much for this information qupasyd. I am halfway through the PHL segment above as I type. Very easy as Flights have been largely empty and I was upgraded to F on SFO-PHL-SFO. Will hit MVPG status this year with your help. I will be raising a glass to you in a few hours.
qupasyd likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:10 pm

Looking for some inputs, I am unable to find <1000$ runs to HKG/PVG this late in the game that are normally available
Departure Airport: IAH
Miles Needed: 17K (partner miles qualification for MVP75K)
Required Spend or Budget:~1000$
Available Travel Dates: any, preferably same day or 1 day turnaround
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AS partners ok.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by superdude
Miles Needed: 3757
Required Spend or Budget: none
Available Travel Dates: flexible (need to book or fly pre 2018? not sure how this works)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: codeshare fine

This is my first post. I am not well versed in the FF world. Currently, I am MVP gold 75k. I am 3757 miles short of qualifying for MVP gold next year. I would greatly prefer planes I can chose exit row seats on since I am 6'8".

Thanks for all your help. If there are any general tips on how to figure this out on my own, please let me know. Thank you!
Prices are high this late in the year but I think a day trip to DFW via PDX should do the trick for you: https://goo.gl/flights/YARX. I'd first check the long range weather forecast for all three cities before booking - the last thing you need with only two days left in the year is a weather event!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Seeking Mileage Run to make up for lost KLM booking miles

I flew to Amsterdam this Septermber via a KLM booking, but didn't realize the flights were actually operated by Delta and thus no longer counted towards partner miles. Now I need to make up those lost miles to retain MVP Gold.

Miles Needed: 7,802 (I have 32,198 Alaska, 33,698 Alaska/partner)
Required Spend or Budget: $600 budget (preferred)
Available Travel Dates: Dec. 18-31, exc. Dec. 24-25
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Metal preferred given my few partner miles in 2017

Last edited by redmondChris; Dec 17, 2017 at 1:28 pm Reason: Adding more detail
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska MVP
Hello All,

Departure Airport: SJC
Miles Needed: 1639 for MVP (flew 18,361 all on Alaska)
Required Spend or Budget: less than $325 (Alaska sent me an offer to buy 2000 miles for $325)
Available Travel Dates: weekends and holidays before 2017 end
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: I think only Alaska flights will work for me

I will fly regularly on Alaska next year. I have MVP status now and been getting upgraded with it, so this status is beneficial to me.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by sur_explorer
Hello All,

Departure Airport: SJC
Miles Needed: 1639 for MVP (flew 18,361 all on Alaska)
Required Spend or Budget: less than $325 (Alaska sent me an offer to buy 2000 miles for $325)
Available Travel Dates: weekends and holidays before 2017 end
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: I think only Alaska flights will work for me

I will fly regularly on Alaska next year. I have MVP status now and been getting upgraded with it, so this status is beneficial to me.
SJC - LAX non-stop same day turns on 12/30 and 12/31 would do it (500 min segment x 2 = 2000 miles for 2 runs).

$161 for 12/30 and $186 for 12/31. I'm sure there's better options, but that's what came to mind.

/edit: Actually, this is better: https://goo.gl/flights/7fwE $253 and should net 1,765 miles
sur_explorer likes this.

Last edited by Justin Go; Dec 18, 2017 at 4:24 pm Reason: better option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.