Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by nsummy
Have you been there before? After reading about it, I'm pretty dead set on going there. It seems reasonably safe during daylight. Of course reasonably is a subjective term
I have been there, pretty much was in your situation and wanted to get another country "done". Spent less than an hour and went back over the border.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Have you been there before? After reading about it, I'm pretty dead set on going there. It seems reasonably safe during daylight. Of course reasonably is a subjective term
If you want to 'visit the country' and check it off the list, consider going to Itaipú. A part of the tour is on the Paraguayan side, so technically you will have been in the country at the end of the tour.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:01 pm

I wonder if I could just hit it up first thing in the morning then and then go see the Argentina side. Its just a big dirty flea market right? Did you ever feel unsafe? Did you pay for a visa?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
If you want to 'visit the country' and check it off the list, consider going to Itaipú. A part of the tour is on the Paraguayan side, so technically you will have been in the country at the end of the tour.
Well I want to go into the country, but I think my friends back home would be more impressed with a scene you see in an 80s action movie over a dam.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:03 pm

Can you expand on this a little more? I have a day and a half (2 nights) on the Brazilian side before I head to Rio. From what I gather I can probably bang out the Brazil side on the half day. Is the Argentina side that much better? Keep in mind I've been to both sides of Niagra Falls. I know the pros and cons of both but at the end of the day it is only a water fall. Do you think the Argentina side is worth the $160? Is there anything to do over there besides look at the falls?

I ask because on my 2nd day I plan on either going to The Argentina side or Ciudad del Este.
All I can say is that the two sides give different experiences, but both are extremely worthwhile. Yes, it's "only" a waterfall, but it's my best nature experience ever (including jungle hiking, boat tours, and both sides of the falls). I would loved to have done more, like the Brazilian-side bird reserve, and a tour of the dam.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:25 pm

Well I want to go into the country, but I think my friends back home would be more impressed with a scene you see in an 80s action movie over a dam.
Same here. I gave myself 5 days at IGU, which is potentially enough time for me to spend a little quality time beyond just Ciudad del Este. Even then, I'm still interested to see the city, though theBOSman's point is well taken, and I will plan to keep my wits about me while I'm there.

Now what I'm going to do for 4 days, I'm not quite sure....
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Can you expand on this a little more? I have a day and a half (2 nights) on the Brazilian side before I head to Rio. From what I gather I can probably bang out the Brazil side on the half day. Is the Argentina side that much better? Keep in mind I've been to both sides of Niagra Falls. I know the pros and cons of both but at the end of the day it is only a water fall. Do you think the Argentina side is worth the $160? Is there anything to do over there besides look at the falls?

I ask because on my 2nd day I plan on either going to The Argentina side or Ciudad del Este.
Simply put the Argentine side is more expansive and diverse. This means lots to see and LOTS of walking on all the different trails.

You have to take a train to get to the trail that takes you to la garganta del diablo, Devils Throat, and that took me upwards of a couple of hours even with walking like a New Yorker and not stopping to see other sights on the way. I only had 4 hours to do it before my flight so I had to walk fast. devils throat is often said to be the part of Iguazu not to miss.

And on the interior path you can take a speed boat ride that charges at the falls allowing them to crash over you. It was awesome.

Of course there is lots of walking and sights and those are but two of my best memories from the trip besides the countless breathtaking views.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
I see 448 with kayak via jfk-mia-lim-igu-gru-lim-jfk.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:07 pm

Has anyone been able to force a stopover in LIM on the inbound? and/or a stopover in GIG on the outbound? (or v/v). This is departing from JFK.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
Has anyone been able to force a stopover in LIM on the inbound? and/or a stopover in GIG on the outbound? (or v/v). This is departing from JFK.
On Sunday I could. The stopover in LIM from JFK was between $700-800 though so I didn't pursue it.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
i saw a stopover in LIM for $560 in October or a stopover in GIG for $519 in October. I couldn't price both stops together at this low fare. all on orbitz.

not sure what your travel dates are so I don't know if any of that helps you.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
Just managed to book another ex-JFK with stopovers in SCL and GIG, so this is still alive and well.

With a 6pm arrival in IGU, one full subsequent day, and an 11am departure on the following day (2 nights total), does anyone have any advice on how to see both sides of the falls? I read somewhere that the Argentine side opens at 8am, and the Brazil side closes at 6pm. Would it be feasible to take the jungle/boat ride on the Argentine side in the morning, and do a short tour for pictures in Brazil until 6pm closing?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Madmax4797
Just managed to book another ex-JFK with stopovers in SCL and GIG, so this is still alive and well.

With a 6pm arrival in IGU, one full subsequent day, and an 11am departure on the following day (2 nights total), does anyone have any advice on how to see both sides of the falls? I read somewhere that the Argentine side opens at 8am, and the Brazil side closes at 6pm. Would it be feasible to take the jungle/boat ride on the Argentine side in the morning, and do a short tour for pictures in Brazil until 6pm closing?
Easily.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Madmax4797

Originally Posted by sis22
Easily.
Yea that shouldn't be a problem.

You could probably manage to walk two "circuits" on the Argentine side before running to a cab to take you to the Brazilian side in the afternoon.

It will be a bit rushed but it is doable.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, DL
Long time lurker, first time commenter.

I've been trying to lockdown this fare, but I'm struggling to find a route that doesn't take me into both Argentina and Brazil (and thus subjects me to $300+ in entrance/visa fees). I've tried from both JFK and MIA (no price difference and about the same travel cost for me from ATL). I'd like to stop in two other cities in addition to IGU (planning just 2 nights and a full day there), such as SCL, GIG, GRU, or EZE/AEP but can't seem to get it to work. Any thoughts?

The best I've found is MIA-SCL (2 nights, 1 day)-EZE/AEP (4 nights) - IGR (2 nights)-IGU (extra Brazil fee)-MIA (with overnight LIM layover). This is in October.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.