Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Let us not derail another thread about visa fees. The fees are charged at that level because that is what the USA charges Brazilians and Argentines to even apply for an interview for a visa, with far less of a chance of approval. Write to your congresspeople and senators to add Brazil and Argentina to the visa waiver program, and those fees will lessen significantly, if not disappear. See Chile.

And actually, each is $160, but are valid for ten years generally. And let this be the last post concerning that, we can get all of the facts out there .
Not "derailing" the thread -- just noting that this cheap airfare isn't "so cheap" because, realistically, most folks will need to pony up ANOTHER $320 per person just to get in. I think that's pretty important to realize. The Argentine fee is a shame because, until about a year ago, you only had to pay it if you entered the country at EZE. Now you can't get into the country anywhere without paying it.

From personal experience, I think you can visit Iguazu and just hit the Argentine side, but it's silly to land on the Brazilian side and not cross the border. That's what makes this deal a bit unfortunate. Obviously, the airfare is extremely attractive.

I hate these huge visa fees, but that's for another thread.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Anyone come up with any unique structures?

You can't factor visa costs...they are essentially sunk costs IMHO...
Old May 31, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I already have a visa for Brazil. Do I need one for Argentina if I cross the border via land? Also, any hotels in IGU recommended with reasonable cost for MR?
Old May 31, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aglp2k
I already have a visa for Brazil. Do I need one for Argentina if I cross the border via land? Also, any hotels in IGU recommended with reasonable cost for MR?
If you are an American, you'll need the visa -- although it might be worth checking the current reports. A few years ago, folks were sometimes crossing without it, but I recall reading that this practice was no longer allowed.

At least you'd be down to one visa fee. Unless it's your life long dream to visit, Iguazu might be worth $160 in visa fees, but I wouldn't say it's worth $320. And as the Chilean experience indicates, there may come a day when the visa fee will drop to zero.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:12 pm

There are some dates available in Sep and Nov as well. Use Kayak do search for whole month at a time. Plenty of Fri departures and Sunday returns.

JFK-IGU via LIM or SCL/GRU
Old May 31, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Plenty of Fri departures and Sunday returns.
Frightening.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In for one.

LA0533 JFK-SCL <787>
LA0786 SCL-GIG <wanted to overnight>
JJ3188 GIG-IGU <overnight>
JJ3558 IGU-GRU
LA0751GRU-SCL
LA0532 SCL-JFK <787>

For those interested just in quick turnaround, the quickest I've seen for this fare involves departing JFK Friday night and returning from GIG Sunday arriving Monday morning.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Note that if you cancel (as allowed within the 24 hour window) CheapoAir will charge a $25 cancellation fee. Definitely not a recommended OTA.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:00 pm

Great find OP!

Is anything available in early 2015?
Old May 31, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Note that if you cancel (as allowed within the 24 hour window) CheapoAir will charge a $25 cancellation fee. Definitely not a recommended OTA.
CheapoAir tried to pull that line on me a few weeks ago saying it's free for only four hours then they charge a fee. I not so nicely told them if they even dared to charge me, I'd DoT them immediately, the threat worked and no charge.
But seriously, they have soom really weak overseas CSR with very limited abilities to override fees or do anything even remotely complex.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jfkeze
CheapoAir tried to pull that line on me a few weeks ago saying it's free for only four hours then they charge a fee. I not so nicely told them if they even dared to charge me, I'd DoT them immediately, the threat worked and no charge.
But seriously, they have soom really weak overseas CSR with very limited abilities to override fees or do anything even remotely complex.
I just had this issue, and they backed off trying to charge the 25 dollars once they talked to a "supervisor". Definitely shady.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Any recommendations of where to stay at IGU?
Old May 31, 2014, 8:13 pm

It's available on PL. I found out later after I purchased it from Cheapo. Also, Cheapo charges seat assignment to use the map.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

This fare shows up on Orbitz and Expedia as well. Much easier to select specific flights in Orbitz.

Stopover appears to be allowed. Was able to price it with more than 24 hours in GIG.

JFK-SCL-GIG <2 nights in GIG>
GIG-IGU-LIM-JFK

Fare is JFK-IGU but I'm only spending 90 minutes at IGU. My real destination is GIG.

Last edited by seawolf; May 31, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by danielm
What I am seeing on Expedia is:

LA: JFK-LIM - O = 100%, 1.0
JJ: LIM - IGU - B = 100%, 1.0
LA: IGU - GRU - Y = 100%, 1.0
LA: GRU - SCL - H = 100%, 1.0
LA: SCL - JFK - O = 100%, 1.0

= 12665 miles @ 440, 3cpm

But someone correct me if I've calculated those wrong!
So I am just a little bit concerned... when I pulled up the fare rules on Orbitz, it gave rules for a fare coded as OLXPP558. Now I have had my ticket issued, and when I look at the ticket receipt on the LAN site, it shows all segments with that same fare code. I am not thrilled about the mileage-earning potential if all segments book into O.

Has anyone else had a ticket issued and seen a ticket receipt with the fare class more favorable than O? Just a little bit concerned about how many miles will be earned in AAdvantage on this thing. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.