Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK-IGU $451. 3.31 cpm RT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by nsummy
I played around with it yesterday, I didn't try any month long trips but what I found was that you could spend 1 night in your initial layover city. any longer would jack up the price.my next stop was Foz do Iguaçu. It seemed like that was a 2 days minimum. My next stop was Rio. I could extend my last leg longer and the price stayed them same. I also looked into doing an extra night at the layover city on my way out, that jacked up the price.

This was out of NYC in October. Just what I encountered, hopefully it will help
Thanks for the help! I'm now getting more flexibility on that last leg. For those of you who are staying around IGU - what's your plan? A quick search for hotels shows the Sheraton is one of the few options around there and it's pricing at $385/night when I look for Oct....
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:31 pm

I plan on staying on the Brazilian side. I have heard there is more going on over on the Argentina side but I honestly don't want to pay the visa fee for 2 days. If I were staying longer I'd probably pay it. General consensus though is to stay in IGU for 3 days max. After that its my understanding that there isn't much to do.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:59 pm

Personally, I'm planning on heading to Paraguay after checking out the falls. There are rarely deals to there, unlike to Argentina, so being right there on the border makes it as good a time as any. Not quite sure what I'll do there, but I'm sure I'll be able to get up to something interesting. Definitely open to any suggestions.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by waltonma
Thanks for the help! I'm now getting more flexibility on that last leg. For those of you who are staying around IGU - what's your plan? A quick search for hotels shows the Sheraton is one of the few options around there and it's pricing at $385/night when I look for Oct....
Sheraton is on the Argentine side. Visa may be required depending on nationality.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Sheraton is on the Argentine side. Visa may be required depending on nationality.
Right, thanks for pointing that out. I had already planned on getting an Argentinian visa for a different trip, but visas sure get expensive in S.A.! $160 for Brazil, $160 for Argentina, etc. all x2

Although Brazil and Argentina interest me, they're a little rich for my taste at the moment. I'm more interested in seeing Peru (Cuzco, Macchu Pichu, etc.)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG, IHG, HHonors
Nice find.

Couldn't get a deal out of SFO but there was a decent fare from LAX. Booked LAX-LIM-IGU-IGR-AEP-EZE-SFO. Spending a day at the falls and the rest in BA for $720. Not a bad deal in my book.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
It appears that LAN may have fixed their fare glitch - most routings that I was looking at yesterday for $470 now reprice to around $2200 - at least on Expedia where i had been looking.

EDIT: as pointed out this is still available on Orbitz and Kayak, though Kayak wants to click through to CheapoAir, which I do not like.

Last edited by pfbloom; Jun 5, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:09 am

Nah, it is still there, at least from LAX. One of the routings I had been looking at is even $5 cheaper.

I found some connections on Orbitz, and others on Cheapoair. I could find more to show up on Cheapoair if I searched Kayak first, selected one that worked with the low fare, then linked to COA, then clicked "go back"

I never could get layovers that worked well for me from LAX within the days that we have for vacation time. Once I got the connection in there, it only gave me flights with many more stops and much longer travel time. Great if going for a pure mileage run, or you have lots of time, but we had been hoping for something exciting to show up that work for a school break week in October and this deal fit the bill quite nicely.

Last edited by amybd; Jun 3, 2014 at 8:19 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:14 am

Anyone find anything from DFW? I have been looking with no luck.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by nsummy
I plan on staying on the Brazilian side. I have heard there is more going on over on the Argentina side but I honestly don't want to pay the visa fee for 2 days. If I were staying longer I'd probably pay it. General consensus though is to stay in IGU for 3 days max. After that its my understanding that there isn't much to do.
You should search Google images of Argentina's side. I went to both sides 4 years ago in 2.5 days and can't imagine not going to the Argentine side. Plus the $160 is good for ten years so if there is another sale/mistake to
Argentina you're covered.

Originally Posted by pfbloom
It appears that LAN may have fixed their fare glitch - most routings that I was looking at yesterday for $470 now reprice to around $2200 - at least on Expedia where i had been looking.
Orbitz and Kayak are still VERY good for NYC.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by danielm
Personally, I'm planning on heading to Paraguay after checking out the falls. There are rarely deals to there, unlike to Argentina, so being right there on the border makes it as good a time as any. Not quite sure what I'll do there, but I'm sure I'll be able to get up to something interesting. Definitely open to any suggestions.
I'd take a long look before I considered going to Ciudad del Este, just to warn you. Might get a little more interesting than you think, unless you look at it quite a bit first .
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JamesQ
Anyone find anything from DFW? I have been looking with no luck.
I don't think you will find anything from DFW as neither LAN nor TAM have service to there.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I'd take a long look before I considered going to Ciudad del Este, just to warn you. Might get a little more interesting than you think, unless you look at it quite a bit first .
Have you been there before? After reading about it, I'm pretty dead set on going there. It seems reasonably safe during daylight. Of course reasonably is a subjective term
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by cochino_BA
You should search Google images of Argentina's side. I went to both sides 4 years ago in 2.5 days and can't imagine not going to the Argentine side. Plus the $160 is good for ten years so if there is another sale/mistake to
Argentina you're covered.

Can you expand on this a little more? I have a day and a half (2 nights) on the Brazilian side before I head to Rio. From what I gather I can probably bang out the Brazil side on the half day. Is the Argentina side that much better? Keep in mind I've been to both sides of Niagra Falls. I know the pros and cons of both but at the end of the day it is only a water fall. Do you think the Argentina side is worth the $160? Is there anything to do over there besides look at the falls?

I ask because on my 2nd day I plan on either going to The Argentina side or Ciudad del Este.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL GM, National EC
Has anyone had any luck compressing this down to 1 3-day weekend? (E.g. leave Friday return Sunday p.m.) The best I've been able to produce is a late October returning early Monday morning via CheapO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.