Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:45 pm

Help! I'm now thoroughly confused. I'm flying LAX-IAD-DXB in K bucket on UA this week (before end of March). Am I better off attributing this to US, A3, or...? Am currently AA EXP.
TIA for all advice.
And many thanks again, OP.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Us you'll get 100% eqm and rdm on A3 only half eqm.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
Did the flight attendant say that
sure did. That's why I do Hindu, no mystery meats
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just as a curiosity -- unexplained.....

I have a Wideroe itin coming soon. 5 pax on the same locator. I've been able to view it just fine on ual.com since we booked it.

Then about a week ago, it would show up in my itineraries, but when I click on it, the my browser just grinds on united.com (for several mins) and eventually times out and gives me some interesting messages about not being able to connect to the database. (Will try to post the msg later when I get it again.) If I click on e-receipt, it shows ok -- the view rez and change seats time out.

FWIW, my other UA itins appear fine -- this is just my last Wideroe itin that won't come up.

It's no big deal (probably!), but it would be nice to get to the seat map. And I guess it'll be interested to see if OLCI works.

Anybody else run into this?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13

And I guess it'll be interested to see if OLCI works.

Same here, though oddly it worked for one person in the PNR and not the other. Then, one could do OLCI, but not the other.
In our case, my best guess was that this involved a new passport not having been verified yet. I'm not too worried since--like yours--all looks fine on dot bomb (other than one person needing to check in at the airport kiosk).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I've never had any problem accessing my two itins (one flown last month, one coming up in May), but maybe because I am a solo pax?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by dcas
Just finished flying my second of these fares, this one to MXP via MUC, and wanted to leave a short report of the Air Dolomiti segment.
The flight was less than an hour, and I slept through most of the return since it left at 6:50 AM, but I'm quite impressed with the service on board. For such a short flight, to be given a (packaged) cold towel, small chocolates, decent packaged croissant (not great by Italian standards) and plenty of beverages and attentive service is very impressive. The airline uses bus gates at MXP and MUC, which can be a hassle. Also, passengers board and deplane through both front and rear exits at MUC. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again if it were an option, though I certainly wouldn't choose to make an extra connection over a direct flight if available.
+1. I've flown them on LIN-VIE and also was impressed. Even bubbles offered if requested.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Just checked in at EWR for my flight tonight to MXP. I used self check-in and had no problems at all, even despite my various changes (made via United because of a minconnect violation)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Arrived at MXP and spent the day in the city at the Sforza Castle (there was an express train to Cadorna that takes 29 minutes and seemed to line up perfectly with my schedule). Everything is going (suspiciously) well, and the tickets were problem-free. Thanks again, OP!

I'm now back at MXP, waiting for my flight to ATH on A3. There is a Norwegian flight boarding next to mine, and I kind-of want to go over and thank them for all the recent MR deals on UA/DL

Last edited by mtvesuvius; Mar 30, 2014 at 8:23 am
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Me and a friend depart for DXB in 2 weeks. We are going to see Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat (Oman), and Budapest.

I will be flying a day before my birthday. Here's to hoping for an upgrade for the 13 1/2 hour flight >.<
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:11 am

Info only.....

I've had a couple schedule changes in the last month for October travel.
My nonstop MXP-YYZ has been cancelled and I was given later and later departure times from MXP. The last one with a 40 minute connection in MUC.
I sent an e-mail to Wideroe asking for an earlier departure time with a connection in FRA. They replied saying it would be a $300 change fee. I replied saying I should get flight times closer to what I originally booked with a longer connection time. The result, I was given a early departure from MXP with a longer connection in FRA.^
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
What a great trip this fare created! Thanks to the OP (and directly Wideroe I guess.) Went SEA-EWR-BOM/BOM-FRA-ORD-SEA and with Y+ seating it was a pleasant journey throughout. Was offered a buy up on EWR-BOM but at $1591 and only one seat left (when two of us are travelling) it really didn't seem appealing at all. For what it is worth, someone did grab it later as the J cabin was packed.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:37 pm

I just got back from 8 days in Italy and everything went great. Not a single issue with the tickets and my miles all posted corrected to UA. Flew LGA-YYZ and YYZ-FRA on AC and FRA-MXP on LH. I'm looking forward to my 8 day trip to Greece in September!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
Just as a curiosity -- unexplained.....

I have a Wideroe itin coming soon. 5 pax on the same locator. I've been able to view it just fine on ual.com since we booked it.

Then about a week ago, it would show up in my itineraries, but when I click on it, the my browser just grinds on united.com (for several mins) and eventually times out and gives me some interesting messages about not being able to connect to the database. (Will try to post the msg later when I get it again.) If I click on e-receipt, it shows ok -- the view rez and change seats time out.

FWIW, my other UA itins appear fine -- this is just my last Wideroe itin that won't come up.

It's no big deal (probably!), but it would be nice to get to the seat map. And I guess it'll be interested to see if OLCI works.

When check-in time arrived, I was able to do OLCI for one passenger. It asked if we wanted to split for upgrade purposes, I chose yes. (All Premiers) Probably a mistake, as no more passengers could OLCI. Worse, SHARES basically dropped our OSL-ARN segment on SAS. Chatted Wideroe who assured me everything was fine. About an hour with the 1K line, and they confirmed that the SAS segment was 'off the page' or something like that. They wanted to call SAS to confirm the space, but the US SAS number was closed, and Jeff won't let agents dial international.

The next morning at check-in was a bit interesting. They told me we were flying to OSL and returning from ARN. Eventually they had to play with the ticket (not sure what they did) to get the SAS segment reinstated. But they got it done.

Oh, and one of the DIA agents told my buddy that they could reinstate the segment, but that since UA doesn't have interline agreements with WF, they could only check his bag to OSL and that he would have to claim it there and re-check it. Being a bit of a dope, he said 'OK'. Of course, there wasn't enough time to clear to that, so he missed the SAS OSL-ARN flight, and had to be put on the next one 2 hour later. (On the plus side, he's now claiming that he's been to Norway because he did take a minute to step outside the airport.) Ironically, although we made the connection, our bags -- which were properly tagged for the interline did not -- and had to be delivered to the hotel.

Overall a great trip. And sadly the end of my Wideroe tickets. thanks to the OP for sharing this!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
I was able to SDC on the last segment to get back earlier using the app. Ticket number did NOT change, so it was only revalidated (not reissued).

During an earlier trip, I was able to SDC to an earlier flight for the first segment by agent. Again, ticket number did not change.

I am not sure whether I can change routing directly using the app or agent (UA+LH -> UA nonstop). Has anyone had any similar successful story? How smooth did it go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.