Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by gvol21
How much do you think WF made in booking fees? Flat rate, commission, or both?
There was roughly a $5 booking fee and I'm sure there is some revenue sharing/commission on the ticket. I have no idea what the revenue sharing arrangement is, but assuming ~15,000 tickets, at a minimum they made 75k in booking fees over a couple of days.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Its been 72 hours and no official statement? Where is Aaron Goldberg on this one? Im afraid we may all be disappointed in the end. Although I hope and will be happy to be 100% wrong.
Don't wait for any official statement, there may not be one. Usually if you hear something is going to be bad. So no news is good news
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
For $. WF got all the booking fees; we got cheap tickets. It was a win-win. I certainly don't have a problem with them profiting as long as they are passing valuable information. I do not think the OP wanted "fame" otherwise he would have shouted from the rooftops hey I'm with X site we just noticed this great 'deal' use our website!
If OP is currently affiliated with WF, then OP has balls of steel. Even if it was a legal loophole/IT error, one would think, am I going to lose my job or end my career over this.

Let say WF get paid (someone mentioned $5) per ticket. Seems like they are burning bridges; for every $5 they earned, UA lost out on $450 in YQ.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
UA is not going to cancel anything, IMO. Tickets are fairly safe at this point. I'm not off booking a hotel yet, but my trip is also far enough ahead that notorious UA schedule changes are still potentially in play.
Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Its been 72 hours and no official statement? Where is Aaron Goldberg on this one? Im afraid we may all be disappointed in the end. Although I hope and will be happy to be 100% wrong.
What are they going to do at this point? All ticketed flights have been ticketed for well over 24 - 48 hours at this point and as noted up-thread it seems as if some have already traveled on them.

Also anyone who frequents the UA board knows that if UA is going to make a statement, UA Insider usually posts relatively quickly and his prolonged silence is typically an indication that UA will not be making any official response to the situation. I'm assuming the latter here.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gvol21
How much do you think WF made in booking fees? Flat rate, commission, or both?
Depends on the fare sold. Usually Amadeus gives you a rate per segment and the airline a commission based on the fare. If its a real cheapo K fare, thats not much.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
UA lost out on $450 in YQ.
I thought I saw someone mention this in the thread though it's so long now I have no idea where but unless UA loaded the tickets incorrectly isn't the YQ the responsibility of one of the other parties involved (either WF or Amadeus). I think UA might actually be decently okay with what happened because they'll be made whole and like WF (who collected commissions) sold a ton of tickets knowing that the ultimate responsibility is on someone else to pay for the YQ.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
If OP is currently affiliated with WF, then OP has balls of steel. Even if it was a legal loophole/IT error, one would think, am I going to lose my job or end my career over this.
On the contrary, he might be in line for a promotion. Or a nice Christmas bonus!

At least publicly, WF management seems quite pleased thus far. Obviously, that could still change........
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Gold
Am I the only one not seeing the seat selection option on CheckMyTrip?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I thought I saw someone mention this in the thread though it's so long now I have no idea where but unless UA loaded the tickets incorrectly isn't the YQ the responsibility of one of the other parties involved (either WF or Amadeus). I think UA might actually be decently okay with what happened because they'll be made whole and like WF (who collected commissions) sold a ton of tickets knowing that the ultimate responsibility is on someone else to pay for the YQ.
Usually the plating airline (eg WF) collects the YQ and then either keeps it or passes it on based on the bilateral with the marketing airline (eg UA). If the WF-UA bilateral says 'keep any YQ you may collect' then WF can merrily skip collecting it if Amadeus priced it that way.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by saranyc
nice! have a great rest of your trip...
und Wilkommen nach Deutschland.....but bleh...STR.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
There was roughly a $5 booking fee and I'm sure there is some revenue sharing/commission on the ticket. I have no idea what the revenue sharing arrangement is, but assuming ~15,000 tickets, at a minimum they made 75k in booking fees over a couple of days.
In the grand scheme of things, and when contrasted with the potential fallout from this whole thing, that doesn't really seem like a lot of revenue, does it? Maybe for a smaller carrier like WF, perhaps, but one would hope they did the cost/benefit analysis of making an easy ~$75k in a weekend vs. royally pissing off UAL.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:50 am

Well, WF is a small airline, which only recently was spun off from parent SAS. The cash flow generated should be substantial enough. They will have to hand over the cash collected at one point via the ICH http://www.iata.org/pressroom/facts_...pages/ich.aspx but could benefit from it for a while
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
Quote:

On the contrary, he might be in line for a promotion. Or a nice Christmas bonus!

At least publicly, WF management seems quite pleased thus far. Obviously, that could still change........
I don't see WF coming out really ahead in any scenario. The best scenario is if their agreement with UA allowed them to keep YQ. Anything else is burning bridges over a small profit.

They had a profit of $22 million USD last quarter. Assuming 15,000 tickets sold at $5 a piece, $75,000 extra. OP should not expect a bonus.

If UA filed tariff wrong, WF burned bridges with UA. If Amadeus is the problem, WF burned bridges with their supplier.

The winner here, as always, are the banks.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:07 am
Suspended

If the tables were turned, jeffy would screw the partner or the customer to add $75k. No doubt
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by largeeyes
und Wilkommen nach Deutschland.....but bleh...STR.
Which is what? 2, 2.5 hours from Munich by ICE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.