Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:55 pm

Flying IAH-LGA/EWR-BOM on Sunday. Was just reading through the endish of the thread and saw that someone was able to get Wideroe to change linked city pairs (like LGA/EWR/JFK) without too much issue. I would greatly prefer not to do the $40 van shuffle across New York, so I emailed. Will update with what they say.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

At LGA in maple leaf lounge. Flew DCA-JFK this morning, then through YYZ and FRA to MXP. Long trip but certainly an adventure. Thanks again OP!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat

Can't thank the op enough for this great fare. Just finishing my 3rd trip to Dxb from lax. Will have about 60k eqm parked in usair account and I'm only needing about 20k more to keep AA explat. Already flew 20k this year with them.

Sad to not be parking in MP but with the spend requirement and the mileage devaluation it was not in the cards for me.

The only major downside 14 segments in coach and 1 buy up to C iad to Dxb.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:25 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Agreed...thanks OP. I'm at IST now after my 14 hour LHR layover on Sunday. It's working out to be a good trip except for the TK redeye from LHR to IST... not that there was turb, or other problems, but the schedule of that flight is infernal. It leaves LHR at 1030pm and with a good push from upper level winds - as we had Sunday - it lands IST @ 330am local.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:36 am

Just finished flying my second of these fares, this one to MXP via MUC, and wanted to leave a short report of the Air Dolomiti segment.
The flight was less than an hour, and I slept through most of the return since it left at 6:50 AM, but I'm quite impressed with the service on board. For such a short flight, to be given a (packaged) cold towel, small chocolates, decent packaged croissant (not great by Italian standards) and plenty of beverages and attentive service is very impressive. The airline uses bus gates at MXP and MUC, which can be a hassle. Also, passengers board and deplane through both front and rear exits at MUC. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again if it were an option, though I certainly wouldn't choose to make an extra connection over a direct flight if available.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:58 am

About to fly my return BOM-EWR/LGA-IAH tomorrow.

I thought EWR-BOM took forever on the way here, but we evidently set the fastest time ever NYC-BOM at 13 hours 39 minutes. Landed almost 90 minutes early.

India has been wonderful. Thanks Wideroe!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Empty middle seats to and from DXB over the weekend. It helped make it much more comfortable. Weirdly i had less jetlag flying ultra longhaul coach vs flying F/J on a similary flight length.

Got precheck in BOS & IAD. My special meal somehow made it into the reservation. Its in my UA profile but i never got around to requesting it, so not sure if it just copied over somehow during booking process.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:33 pm

I've recently completed trips to Dubai and Oslo utilizing this deal. Didn't have any issues with either trip; received Pre-Check on both and ended up springing for mileage + co-pay upgrades on 3 out of 4 eligible segments. Funny to see $117 in PQD post for IAD-DXB and $73 for EWR-OSL.

Many thanks to LN-MOW for alerting us to these incredible fares — I wish I had booked more than two trips!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Empty middle seats to and from DXB over the weekend. It helped make it much more comfortable. Weirdly i had less jetlag flying ultra longhaul coach vs flying F/J on a similary flight length.

Got precheck in BOS & IAD. My special meal somehow made it into the reservation. Its in my UA profile but i never got around to requesting it, so not sure if it just copied over somehow during booking process.
And how was that meal?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by josephstern
And how was that meal?
Certainly better than the slop I got.

I sat next to someone who had requested a Kosher meal on TLV-EWR, and it looked and smelled SO much better than mine. Upon arrival, I promptly changed my profile to request Kosher meals, but I haven't yet flown UA internationally since then. (I'll be on IAD-DXB in May.)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by josephstern
And how was that meal?
Hindu meal was good. I think i'm going to write a trip report. Although will probably get myself in trouble for starting another trip report when i still have 2 that have fallen behind incomplete.

This is what i witnessed from afar during one of the meal services:

regular meal options were tandoori chicken or vegetarian. a woman orders the chicken, she said "i think you gave me vegetarian". He said "no that's the chicken or what is supposed to be chicken".
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Thanks again OP!

Wrapping up my final run using these fares today (in the lounge in mxp now)

Not a bad way to start the year with 40k PQM
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 am

Looking for a little bit of help for those who used the fare to transit thru MXP.

Have an upcoming trip from YYZ-FRA-MXP with a connection on to LHR. I plan on having my bag interlined if possible to the final destination (LHR).

Since I arrive in the EU in Frankfurt, do I clear immigration (passport control) there or when I arrive in Milan? Once in Milan can I just transit thru to my other flight without having to leave the terminal before clearing passport again in London?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by xtremepeon; Mar 25, 2014 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Hindu meal was good. I think i'm going to write a trip report. Although will probably get myself in trouble for starting another trip report when i still have 2 that have fallen behind incomplete.

This is what i witnessed from afar during one of the meal services:

regular meal options were tandoori chicken or vegetarian. a woman orders the chicken, she said "i think you gave me vegetarian". He said "no that's the chicken or what is supposed to be chicken".
Did the flight attendant say that?! I got the chicken on the outbound, it was okay. After that, I went with the vegetarian options. At least they are all Indian dishes so they aren't completely flavorless. I didn't think to request a special meal. I shouldn't have eaten the breakfast coming back, I felt sick for the rest of my trip. Probably had something to do with not sleeping properly on the 15 hour flight, too.

Anyway, thanks for OP/wideroe for making this trip possible. Just completed my DXB trip and still have my MXP trip to look forward to.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by xtremepeon
Since I arrive in the EU in Frankfurt, do I clear immigration (passport control) there or when I arrive in Milan? Once in Milan can I just transit thru to my other flight without having to leave the terminal before clearing passport again in London?

Thanks for your help!
You clear passport control in Frankfut upon entering Schengen area. At MXP, you can probably transfer directly to your LHR flight, although you need to clear passport control again since you are leaving Schengen area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.