Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
(As if this fare needed anymore verification)

Successfully flew the rescheduled LX JFK-FRA (A380!!) and then FRA-DXB. Wonderful flight. Mope fully I earn 125% base miles since it was rebooked in Y.

Dubai is a beautiful city, just had a 15.5 dirham taxi ride across town- $4!
LH not LX....

LX (Swiss) does not have A380's and even if they did; doubt they would fly them to germany :P

LH (Lufthansa) is what you meant...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
I finished the last of my tickets -- 2nd flight into DXB. On the outbound, the EWR-IAD leg was significantly delayed and was giving me a 30 min cxn in IAD. I got a sympathetic agent willing to rebook me on the EWR-FRA-DXB flight and actually even had me "protected" on that flight in case the EWR-IAD got further delayed. In the end, I flew the original leg (we were able to connect with like 5 min to spare). Was totally bummed that I potentially gave up a Y-class routing (but wanted the non-stop and E+ seating throughout).

Met a fellow WF traveller on outbound and inbound. And we ended up getting the same crew on the inbound flights as we had on the outbound.

Overall -- THANKS to the OP !
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by hearna
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

(As if this fare needed anymore verification)

Successfully flew the rescheduled LX JFK-FRA (A380!!) and then FRA-DXB. Wonderful flight. Mope fully I earn 125% base miles since it was rebooked in Y.

Dubai is a beautiful city, just had a 15.5 dirham taxi ride across town- $4!

LH not LX....

LX (Swiss) does not have A380's and even if they did; doubt they would fly them to germany :P

LH (Lufthansa) is what you meant...
Yes indeed I meant LH. Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
I finished the last of my tickets -- 2nd flight into DXB. On the outbound, the EWR-IAD leg was significantly delayed and was giving me a 30 min cxn in IAD. I got a sympathetic agent willing to rebook me on the EWR-FRA-DXB flight and actually even had me "protected" on that flight in case the EWR-IAD got further delayed. In the end, I flew the original leg (we were able to connect with like 5 min to spare). Was totally bummed that I potentially gave up a Y-class routing (but wanted the non-stop and E+ seating throughout).

Met a fellow WF traveller on outbound and inbound. And we ended up getting the same crew on the inbound flights as we had on the outbound.

Overall -- THANKS to the OP !
Interesting. It was my JFK-IAD leg that was cancelled, I wonder what is up with that? They did ask me on the phone if I would fly out of LGA, I said that I could not so they then rebooked on LH. I guess I answered that question correctly. Hopefully my IAD-EWR leg gets cancelled and I get to fly LH again hah
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:59 am

It has been a week since my initial flight, and miles have still not credited. These things make me anxious !
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Air Canada says that they refund fuel surcharges, wideroe says no?

I just cancelled one of tickets on this special deal. According to Air Canada's website, AC refunds fuel surcharges on all unused tickets.
But wideroe is saying that they won't refund the fuel surcharges, only the airport taxes.

Has anyone else cancelled the ticket with wideroe and what refunds have you received?

Thank you very much
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by stefan76
I just cancelled one of tickets on this special deal. According to Air Canada's website, AC refunds fuel surcharges on all unused tickets.
But wideroe is saying that they won't refund the fuel surcharges, only the airport taxes.

Has anyone else cancelled the ticket with wideroe and what refunds have you received?

Thank you very much
If you booked this fare you shouldn't have paid any fuel surcharges, so none will be refunded.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Majuki
If you booked this fare you shouldn't have paid any fuel surcharges, so none will be refunded.
Actually I did.

On the invoice it shows base fare, fuel surcharge, airport fees and the wideroe fee. I understand that we were not charged the YQ surcharge, but it clearly states that I paid a fuel surcharge on my invoice..
Old May 1, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
Flying out of Newark with United. Can someone recommend the best lounge to enter.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, and most importantly, huge thanks to the OP for starting this thread! I've had some fun trips.

Next, I did a Platinum challenge with these tickets, and got status.

I haven't really flown United this much in several years, and, I have to say, I'm really not impressed by what I found this year on UA.

For one, I did 15 segments, eight of which were domestic. I was upgraded on two. In comparison, I've done better back when I was a Delta Silver, and I always do better on Delta and AA now (Plat on both - and I recognize that AA isn't a good comparison due to a different mileage level for Plat, plus the need to use stickers).

Next, 75% mileage bonus isn't as compelling to me as either AA or DL (at least, for the rest of this year).

But my biggest gripe with UA is just the planes. The 777s to Dubai were OK, but the 767s to Europe are really awful. No way to get across to the other side short of going all the way to the back, which means having no carts in either aisle. Passing just to get to the bathroom is tough - no extra space around the bulkhead seats. And E+ feels a lot more roomy on a UA 737 than on these widebodies. My last 767 was really bad - they seem to have burned some mushroom entree and it just stunk for the entire flight (MXP-EWR).

I'm also really annoyed by the incessant advertising, especially the way that even if you have your monitor OFF, on a transcon, it turns on and gives you a series of ads in the middle of the journey. No way around it. The audio of it is annoying also. But I'm glad Delavane is having a good experience with her Chase card.

I really thought I'd end up using the Wideroe + Challenge as a way to start flying UA again, but it's just going to happen for me.

Sorry for the digression OT.

Again, thanks OP!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *alliance Gold
I'd also like to give a big thank you to the OP for this amazing deal!
I booked my first trip to Europe thanks to this deal (BTV-EWR-OSL-BGO-OSL-EWR-BTV).
I got experience flying with SAS domestically OSL-BGO-OSL, a little different from UA I must say

Since I have a blog reviewing in flight meals (mostly Economy class) and lounges, I'd like to share the ones from this trip here.
UA 38 – EWR – OSL: http://airgrindz.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/ua38-1/
SAS 257 – OSL-BGO & SAS 246 – BGO-OSL: http://airgrindz.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/sas257-246-1/
SAS Scandinavian Lounge at Oslo Lufthavn International Airport: http://airgrindz.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/saslounge-1/
UA 39 – OSL – EWR: http://airgrindz.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/ua39-1/

cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: free agent
think we will have another wideroe-style deal this year?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Just couldnt resist getting into the old thread...
Thanks to OP.. I have >55,000 miles on UA this year with <$1,000 spend.
So no elite for me but a heck of CPM

Come on WF, do something for next year. The cold in the midwest will be unbearable and i gotta get me some desert sun
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: UA AA DL BA Marriott Hilton SPG
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
Just couldnt resist getting into the old thread...
Thanks to OP.. I have >55,000 miles on UA this year with <$1,000 spend.
So no elite for me but a heck of CPM

Come on WF, do something for next year. The cold in the midwest will be unbearable and i gotta get me some desert sun
FYI, having the United Club credit card waives the revenue spend (PQR) required for UA status (up to Platinum but not including 1K).
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alibedard
FYI, having the United Club credit card waives the revenue spend (PQR) required for UA status (up to Platinum but not including 1K).
And $25K spend on any Chase United card does the same. There's still time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.