Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yesterday-mid day took 1 hour 40 mins to get from Jackson station(downtown)to O'hare.A shuttle/cab would have taken a half hour at most(no traffic at noon)but the El was much cheaper.
EL construction is a major headach for local and visitor alike these days.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:27 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by Corpt
That's very helpful thanks, particularly with the London comparison. So I guess the answer's "No"!

Do you have any recommendations then for what to do closer to the airport (13:00 to 18:00 on a weekday)?
Most of us who commute thru there frequently just hang out at an airline club (membership or with AA for example they offer a $50 day pass) .. and make insightful comments here on FT while we are in the clubs bored out of our minds!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
Most of us who commute thru there frequently just hang out at an airline club (membership or with AA for example they offer a $50 day pass) .. and make insightful comments here on FT while we are in the clubs bored out of our minds!
Excellent, my kids will love that.... Sorry, probably forgot to mention I won't be alone
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:46 pm

Also you need coins to buy your 'el ticket.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
It's THE EL..not 'el. Can you guess what it's short for?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
The Machine at O'hare took bills
I bought a three day(weekend) pass on Friday afternoon(Chicago station)which was good thought 2 pm on Monday-a full 78 hours!Used a CC on that machine.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Extremely Leisurely ride?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
More evidence of Mexico taking over...abbreviation for "el tren."
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_'L'#.27L.27_or_El.3F
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The machines take bills and I think the CTA has actually gone upscale and takes credit cards at the airport station now too.

I wouldn't try and do this in 5 hours especially with kids. The blue line is in a state of disrepair these days that makes it fairly useless. You might be able to pull it off with a cab assuming it's not Friday, you'd probably want to grab the cab about 1530 which would probably only give you two hours downtown tops but the advantage is you could have them drop you at Millenium Park or something and wander around there, get some lunch, and head back.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Not enough time.

[QUOTE=bdesmond;8503867]The machines take bills and I think the CTA has actually gone upscale and takes credit cards at the airport station now too.[QUOTE]

I was just there last week and the CTA machines do take credit cards at ORD.

Trust me, 5 hours is NOT enough time. The Blue Line is stop and go in the slow zone. Took over an hour to get from ORD to Washington Station. Probably takes that long to get back to ORD.

Stay longer. You'll be able to take more time to really see the city.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:47 am

Location: Primary: “Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle.”, Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: Hilton Diamond*, UA ex-2P, Chase
Originally Posted by Corpt
That's very helpful thanks, particularly with the London comparison. So I guess the answer's "No"!

Do you have any recommendations then for what to do closer to the airport (13:00 to 18:00 on a weekday)?
Depending on ages and tastes
In Airport: Children's Museum play area T2, Dino Skeleton and Field Museum Gift Shop T1, Gold Coast Dogs (Chicago Hot Dog) T2/T3 Rotunda, Cafe Uno (Chicago Pizza) T5
Aviation related gift shop (forget the name) Hilton tunnel from T2 to CTA.

NW Side Chicago -
Cab to
1. Superdawg Drive in, famed drive in hot dog stand with giant wieners on top - isted in the book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
(Alternate: Giordano's Stuffed Pizza )
(http://www.giordanos.com/locator/rec...er_ID=00000013)
2. American Science and Surplus store - Scientific Toys
http://www.sciplus.com/storeDetail.cfm?store=1
3. El ride from Jefferson Park back to ORD

1-2 and 2-3 are 3/4 mile long walks, or short cab hops (or ride the 56 bus

Or cab to Desplaines for either
Choo Choo Restaurant
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/sight...ttrId=%3D11515
McDonald's #1 Restaurant and Museum
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/ILDESmcd.html
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There likely won't be construction on a weekday afternoon - the bus diversions are only on weekends and single track work is overnight. 70 minutes is realistic for ORD to the Loop. You could stop short of the Loop and go to Wicker Park (disclosure: where I live), about 45 min. from ORD. The food's better and there are interesting shops.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the updates on the EL. I am heading back to ORD on the 23rd and sooooooo looking forward to it. I took the EL from the airport to my hotel and even though I knew where I was going and doing it took me about 2 hours from the time I got off the plane to the time I got to the hotel over by Wrigley/Boys Town A few months back when I was in ORD only took me about an hour from the time I got off the plane till the time I got to my hotel by the Hard Rock and that was by shuttle ^ Till they are done with the blue line there is no way I will get back on it. Now as far as paying for the el every machine I've seen credit cards are gladly taken ^Even if I only get one mile I am using my plastic. But that doesn't mean of course that every machine will take plastic. If all you got is plastic I think most stations have some kind of ATM around. It is too bad you aren't going to get a chance to see ORD. Are you changing planes in ORD on your way back? If so any way you could change your flight and stay the night? It really is a great American city. It is a big city with lots to do, see and EAT but still have a lot of good honest folk around that are super nice. *sigh* Wish the Mr. could get a transfer with his company out there But till then I'll just rack up those ff miles
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There likely won't be construction on a weekday afternoon - the bus diversions are only on weekends and single track work is overnight. 70 minutes is realistic for ORD to the Loop. You could stop short of the Loop and go to Wicker Park (disclosure: where I live), about 45 min. from ORD. The food's better and there are interesting shops.
My trip was on a monday afternoon.Left Washington(or Jackson)station at noon,got to ORD at a 1:45.
Just no way to play this with 100% assurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.