Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On a related note. My daughter has a 2 hour layover at ORD next week and Mrs. Milepig and I were going to go out to see her. I'm not aware of anything other than the Hilton that is outside security where one can sit down and have a drink/snack. Is this correct?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would suggest a search of the Chicago forum, where there are similar threads and to where this thread is being moved since it's not United-specific

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by milepig
Is this correct?
To the very best of my knowledge, that's right - Altho technically speaking T5 does have a 'small' McDonalds in the arrivals section....You might want to try and see if you can get a gate pass, altho your profile shows you as 1P, which may or may not work. As a 1K, its very easy to get gate passes if you are also a RCC member. Good luck with whatever you decide! Best wishes, Dave
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
T5's entire upper level food court is outside the security gates, besides the baggage-level McDo mentioned. There are a few Starbucks coffee carts on the land side -- IIRC, T3 ticketing and baggage claim both have 'em. I don't even know if they have seating.
.pc
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Gibson's

Gibson's Steakhouse in Rosemont is open for lunch. It's better than Morton's (IMHO) and easy to get into and out of. I've actually done lunch there on a 3 hour ORD layover (though I couldn't linger and had a friend pick me up and drop me off).
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:06 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mallthus
Gibson's Steakhouse in Rosemont is open for lunch. It's better than Morton's (IMHO) and easy to get into and out of. I've actually done lunch there on a 3 hour ORD layover (though I couldn't linger and had a friend pick me up and drop me off).
Good suggestion. Had lunch there yesterday and indeed very easy to get to and back from ORD. Not the best restaurant steak I've had, but very good and the staff are great. Nice place I'd go back to.

Had a great chatty cabby on the way back who was a dead ringer for Norm doing "Da Bears" on SNL. I grew up in South Bend, IN and now living in the south so I don't hear that accent a lot.

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sooks
One of my favorites, and a real Chicago treat, is to go to Gino's East in Rosemont. It's about a 10 min taxi ride there. (Get the cab company # to go back).

It's real Chicago Style Pizza. (Much better than Uno's).
Yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to Lou Malnati's. But, there's no way you'll get there w/ the given times constraints. (At least not the one about 2-3 blocks North of the Loop. (Wells & _____)?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:15 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by A340-600
I have a 5 hour layover on April 13 between my LH flight from Frankfurt and the connecting flight to Jacksonville.
If you are on the 5pm flight to Jacksonville, I'll be on that flight as well. I should be able to get to the airport somewhat early if you are up for having a pre-flight drink.

The drink will also help you in regards to dealing with the Ted flight!

I'll send you a pm.

edited to add: scratch the pm as you don't wish to receive emails. so pm me if interested.

--
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:21 pm

What to do at ORD during 6 hr. layover?

Next Fri. I have a very long layover at Ohare - about 6 hrs. to be exact. I do not have rcc access nor do I really want to spend the $50 for a day pass. Is there some place quiet to pass the time? It is early in the day - like 6 am - noon. My connection is international if that makes any difference.
Thanks!

Thadlo
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you connecting to or from an int'l flight. (That makes a big difference.)

If you are traveling in international business class, you get RCC access by default.

6 hours at ORD is not enough to go to the city...but it is an exceptionally long layover. If you're into fitness, you can go to the Hilton (attached to the airport) and use their gym for a small fee.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Are you connecting to or from an int'l flight. (That makes a big difference.)

If you are traveling in international business class, you get RCC access by default.

6 hours at ORD is not enough to go to the city...but it is an exceptionally long layover. If you're into fitness, you can go to the Hilton (attached to the airport) and use their gym for a small fee.
Sure it's enough to go to the city... it's a 45 minute ride each way. Even allowing one hour:
Go - one hour
Tour - two hours
Return - one hour

...and you have two hours left before departure! Plenty of time to visit the Sears Tower, Merchandise Mart, Miracle Mile, or whatever.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:45 pm

I am connecting to an international and no, "sigh" I am flying coach. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:40 pm

You are coming in at a decent time. Honestly, I wouldn't
bother getting RCC access in ORD. I have spent many an
hour in an ORD RCC an they are barely worth it. The bagels
are simply amazing (those of you who have had these babies
know I am lying)! Anyways, seeing as you will be in around
breakfast I haven't the slightest clue where to send you.
The WP's does serve breakfast, atleast to my knowledge,
so that is a possibility. Perhaps you could just find a nice
corner somewhere and enjoy some Starbucks and something
from Corner Bakery? I don't really know what your into but
that time of morning can be kind of difficult.

Best wishes.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You mention RCC, so I'm assuming you're flying UA ... check out this thread and see if you are at ORD the same time as other FT'ers and perhaps they can guest you into a club, if you really want that. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...55#post6346755 Doesn't mean you can't go downtown if you want to (don't know how much luggage you'd have with you, that'd matter big time) but maybe you can meet up with others and kill some time that way, as well.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It is about a 45 minute ride to downtown by the Blue Line. Follow the directions for trains to the city and hop on a train. It costs $2 per ride or you can buy a one day pass for $5 at either transitchicago.com or at O'Hare. Get off at Washington and you are in the Loop or transfer to the Red Line at Washington and ride the Red Line north a few stops to the Chicago stop (State and Chicago) and enjoy the shopping of the Mag Mile (one full block East of State is Michigan). You can also get a ride up to the top of the John Hancock building there.

Might as well enjoy the city for a couple hours if you are stuck at O'Hare for 6 hrs.

Just allow an extra 15 min or so to return as the trains can run slowly for a stretch along the Kennedy due to construction work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.