Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
There is a Pazzo's near O'Hare. Pazzo's has excellent Italian food. I'll dig up the address for you.

Another place is the restaurant in the office buildings on River Rd. in Rosemont. I can't remember the name but I will also dig that up for you.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:55 am

Please Do.

Thanks PrinzII, I love Italian, it would work for me. Please, would the folks who have helped me here tell me if I will have enough time to do this without the stress or fear of missing my flight. It looks like it will be easy what with the trains so close together and the walk a short one. I'm flying cross country to Albany from San Jose with a three hr car ride when I get there and I really don't want to have to take a later flight if there even is one Thanks to all.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:00 am

Pazzo's: http://pazzoscucina.com/

Turns out they moved to Des Plaines which is a hop, skip, and jump from O'Hare.

Another thought is to check out the Morton's in Rosemont near the Sprint building.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:04 am

Mortons - Rosemont

Chicago - Rosemont -

Columbia Centre III
9525 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
Rosemont, IL 60018
tel: 847-678-5155
fax: 847-678-5193

General Manager:
Patrick Hoyle
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Hmm -- upon further inspection, the Golden Duck is only open weekends and the Gale Street Inn opens at 4 PM.

There's not much around the Harlem station, and my favorite Logan Square restaurant is closed on Tuesday. Time to start looking into Rosemont options, I guess.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Giordano's in Des Plaines might be an option. Granted not the best deep dish in Chicago - I'll leave that for another thread - but passable. First, pre-order your pizza.

Giordano's
9415 W Higgins Rd
Des Plaines , IL 60018
Phone: (847) 292-2600

Take the Blue Line to the Rosemont Station. It's the very first one after O'Hare. Walk north to Higgins Rd - maybe 3/4 to 1 mile. Turn left and you are about 1/2 block away.

Another option is to hop a cab to

Zia's Trattoria
(773) 775-0808

6699 N Northwest Hwy
Chicago, IL 60631

in Edison Park. Good upscale Italian Food. ride will cost about $15. Make sure to tell cabbie it is a short ride. Otherwise they get a little snippy.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Oh, I forgot. How about a Chicago dog or Beef? Yes, Italian Beef is a Chicago thing. Take the Blue Line to Cumberland - I believe it is the 3rd stop past O'Hare about 10 minutes or less. Walk north 1 block to Dominicks Food Store on Higgins. Turn left (west) and walk about 3 blocks to Al's Beef and enjoy.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:17 am

At last a Plan!

It's late and I'm salvitating over the Italian Beef idea. Sounds like this is very do_able from a time point of view. I'll post back on this board and let y'all know how it went. Again, thanks for everyone's help'
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Premier
If time is short (your first flight is late, etc.), by far the best and most authentically Chicagoan food at O'Hare may be found at the Berghoff's at the end of C concourse in terminal 1. Get a hot corned beef on rye or a grilled bratwurst with their house-label root beer and you'll be very happy.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:14 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whisper
I'm due in on 7/31/07 (a Tuesday) at 2:20pm and scheduled to leave at 6:05pm for my connecting flight.
I'm actually flying out on a 5:10pm flight out of ORD on this day. If you are interested, I could bring either a Chicago style dog or Italian Beef to you this day. PM me if interested.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'm actually flying out on a 5:10pm flight out of ORD on this day. If you are interested, I could bring either a Chicago style dog or Italian Beef to you this day. PM me if interested.
If it's okay Sweet Willie, I'm going to email you my upcoming travel schedule...and I'll show up to ORD on an empty stomach. Deal?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959
If it's okay Sweet Willie, I'm going to email you my upcoming travel schedule...and I'll show up to ORD on an empty stomach. Deal?
That whole being local thing takes you out of the running, if I'm buying, my rules.
You need to arrange or get to a local Do sometime.@:-)
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:28 pm

Thanks ivyspice, I've eaten @ Berghoff's and the hot corned beef on rye is to die for! If I get in too late to travel to balima's suggestion I may just grab one to go and find a place outside to sit in the shade and hang out for awhile. Thanks for the offer Sweet Willie but as I mentioned I do want to get outside to have a smoke or two although it seems that UNITED959 wouuld happily take my place LOL! Thanks to all for their advice on this, I will post back and let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by whisper
Thanks ivyspice, I've eaten @ Berghoff's and the hot corned beef on rye is to die for! If I get in too late to travel to balima's suggestion I may just grab one to go and find a place outside to sit in the shade and hang out for awhile. Thanks for the offer Sweet Willie but as I mentioned I do want to get outside to have a smoke or two although it seems that UNITED959 wouuld happily take my place LOL! Thanks to all for their advice on this, I will post back and let you know how it goes.
Order it hot (giardinera) and juicy (dipped)!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Order it hot (giardinera) and juicy (dipped)!
Also known as "wet."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.