Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by aau
Is there a bar at ORD where I can catch the second half of OSU@PSU next Saturday before heading into the city? Flying on AA and landing just after noon. TIA
My recollection is that bars in T3 are relatively small; there is a couple of them in the H/K food court area, plus small-ish counters inside Macaroni Grill and other restaurants. There's room for a few bar stools at Tortas Frontera. Quieter places (usually, though not guaranteed) are the Chicago Cubs Bar & Grill in the rotunda area between H/K and G concourses, and the bar near the T2/T3 connector with self-serve beer machines and a few TVs. The H/K Admiral's Club might actually be your best bet if you have access.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by pudgym29
OSU @ PSU will be on a terrestrial TV channel (the local FOX affiliate - for Chicago, WFLD Ch. 32).
You should have no problem finding an airside venue showing it.
Or, if necessary, on a personal device if one has an account with a TV provider such as Infiniti, Cox, Spectrum, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by aau
Is there a bar at ORD where I can catch the second half of OSU@PSU next Saturday before heading into the city? Flying on AA and landing just after noon. TIA
Stroud should have 5 passing TD's or so by the time you land.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:00 pm

If you arrive at T5 at 7AM on a weekday and have a domestic connection in T3, how long should it take to get through passport control, customs (checked bag on a premium ticket), the train to T3 and security?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Hilton ORD is also connected to T1/2/3 via underground access.

I usually walk between T1-3 and the Hilton ORD underground, as I default to going that way instead of walking across the street on street-level given what it can involve in terms of weather/attire issues and whatever is going on on the parts of the paved surfaces used by cars and the like. Going underground involves taking an elevator up to get to the lobby and is annoyingly carpeted for the final stretch when coming into the Hilton this way, but it avoids the issues of going via the street-level access ways.

The Hilton ORD has some rather dated bathrooms, but that’s not the primary reason I tend to use the Hyatt over the Hilton when merely overnighting around the ORD area for my late-day arrivals with early next-day departures and no plans but to be in a hotel during a layover. I just tend to get better value for my money and points out of the Hyatt ORD than with the Hilton. The Hilton ORD I’m more often booking as part of “opaque” rates where status benefits are not applicable and are generally no longer provided.
My wife and I stayed there in January before a morning Ethiopian flight. I was pretty underwhelmed, we chose that hotel because we were traveling with cats and they were pet friendly and in theory offered easy airport access.

The biggest disappointment was the food, room service was absurdly expensive for the quality and no Uber delivery. Also, the promised shuttle to T5 wasn’t operating that morning. They were able to get a competitor’s shuttle to drive us (4 fully loaded checked bags, 2 cats, and backpacks made getting to T5 using the airport’s service not practical), but told us to give the driver a large tip for the “favor”.

I’d recommend the Hyatt.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 11:17 pm

Looking for some advice...I'll be arriving at around 12pm on the 24th into ORD, my flight to Japan on JAL isn't till 6am on the 25th. I'd rather not go stay in a hotel but not sure if I can just hang out in O'Hare till i get access to the flagship lounge (I'm traveling in business). Any recommendations or suggestions?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Looking for some advice...I'll be arriving at around 12pm on the 24th into ORD, my flight to Japan on JAL isn't till 6am on the 25th. I'd rather not go stay in a hotel but not sure if I can just hang out in O'Hare till i get access to the flagship lounge (I'm traveling in business). Any recommendations or suggestions?
You can hang out past security; the airport does not close and you will likely have company of travelers who missed their connections. Depending on weather, there could be quite a few people sleeping on seats or on the floor.

There aren't many places to relax, and only a few food outlets are open 24 hours. McDonald's by H5 in T3 is one of those. T2 is somewhat quieter than others, I think, and the rotunda between T2 and T3/ G Concourse may offer some relatively quiet areas.

Good luck!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The urban garden in the T3 rotunda is probably one of the best kept secrets of ORD. I rarely see anybody up there and imagine it’ll be deserted at night.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Looking for some advice...I'll be arriving at around 12pm on the 24th into ORD, my flight to Japan on JAL isn't till 6am on the 25th
The JAL flight departs at 12 pm, not 6 am. Are you sure about your schedule?
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by joejones
That!

JL9 departs ORD at 12:20pm on September 25. Are you sure that you want to hang around at the airport for 24 hours?

Let me just add that if you are flying on one ticket/PNR and have checked luggage, the airline will not check your bags through to Tokyo with such a long layover.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Unfortunately mine is ord to dfw to haneda. I couldnt get on the direct from ord.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you don’t have checked-in luggage to claim or check-in land-side at ORD and you can get your ORD-DFW boarding pass for the 25th either airside or online, you can remain airside at ORD all day and night upon arrival by air into ORD while awaiting the ORD-DFW-Japan trip.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The urban garden in the T3 rotunda is probably one of the best kept secrets of ORD. I rarely see anybody up there and imagine it’ll be deserted at night.
Unfortunately it seems that the yoga room is closed at 10 p.m.: https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/ser...ages/yoga.aspx
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at Sleeping in Airports - Sleeping in Chicago O’Hare Airport guide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.